Google Screws Us Over AGAIN...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
keepvid is free :smirk:
Not when I tried to download it, it said I had to purchase a license to use it.
Format factory, yes, you need to download, but it is free as well, no watermarks either
I've tried it, it only converts like one second of video instead of the entire video.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Dont download keepvid, use the on site converter :smirk:

and what do you mean format factory converted one second of video?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My bad, I didn't see the enter the URL box there.

But yeah, I tried Format Factory, and tested some file conversions, but the output file only resulted in one second of video being converted.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You clicked the button on the left of the file type you want to format, add the file in the box that shows up, click ok, then clicked start?

I never had that happen before...

Vincent L

Reaction score
Personally I use MPEG Streamclip to download and convert stuff. If the video download thing doesn't work, I use the ClickToFlash plugin (right click-Download Video).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Eh... I never used Zamzar... if they stop the other one I actually use, that will suck... but I was giving up YTPs anyway. I was about to retire from it a few months ago anyway, but couldn't. That stuff was just a place filler for stuff I never got the equipment for doing... I get very little views for what I do. YT having a breakdown over video downloads because some humorless jerks in the RIAA and the MPAA was BOUND to happen sooner or later... they kept changing the player so it was impossible for Media converter anyway. That was not affecting my decision to quit at all... though before I found something else, when MC changed its site so the video and audio downloads sucked, I almost had to give up anyway.

I wouldn't be too worried. hackers will ALWAYS find a way around it... there will be something new and better. if not, I'm sure you can grab things of Dailymotion to use.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Couldn't people still make "poops" if they have their own copies of the footage, on video or DVD (or download)?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sure you can grab things of Dailymotion to use.
I've tried, it's impossible to download videos off Dailymotion, I don't know if it's because these sites don't have the ability to do or, or if it's how Dailymotion does their URLs or what. But you really should have given Zamzar a try, they don't pixelize the videos your download like MediaConverter does.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Couldn't people still make "poops" if they have their own copies of the footage, on video or DVD (or download)?
Exactly. They could. It does NOT at all affect uploads of media in formats that the uploader owns.

I've tried, it's impossible to download videos off Dailymotion, I don't know if it's because these sites don't have the ability to do or, or if it's how Dailymotion does their URLs or what. But you really should have given Zamzar a try, they don't pixelize the videos your download like MediaConverter does.
I've been using Clip Converter since "They have a movie out now, you know" for the Stooge Arcade footage. And I've found it's a much better site, even though it still pixilates a bit (but then again, I put the videos through a low filter so they don't take hours to upload). Of course, it took me a LOT of trial and error to get a video format that works. If I download something as a WMV it stops midway and doesn't work, if I do an avi, all I get is the audio (something that didn't happen with mediaconverter).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
One problem I've found I have with AVI files is that the audio of the file almost always coming out with a very tinny, almost metallic sound. One alternative I used to work with was MPG, back a few years ago when I downloaded a bunch of Chipmunk episodes off YouTube because I foresaw them being taken down eventually (by Warner because of the Cartoon Network logo), but I recently read/learned somewhere that MPG are basically designed to corrupt overtime, and presently, I can't watch ANY of those videos now on my new computer, because there's either no audio, or the video freezes up like dish does in the rain, etc.

Handbrake will rip non-protected DVDs in MP4 in decent quality (it's how I've been able to upload these SST episodes recently), yet somehow, if you download an MP4 of your own videos from your YouTube account, the download quality is really crappy.

Has this whole Google block affected Clip Converter do you know? If not, I'll give them a try to see how it compares to Zamzar.