Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If they already have 50 pages of the muppet script it means they are into the project. I think he will be finding time to hammer the rest out in his spare time.

I keep hearing Segal & Stoller are taking on different projects as they are hot right now. I suppose we should all have patience... I mean we've waited this long. :big_grin:

It takes quite a while to make a film. Well, if you want to do it good. if you rush through it (like the Oz film clearly was), you'll wind up with a piece of dirt. When was this announced? A month or so ago, and they're already on page 50 of a script? That's not too long a time since the project was first announced. the worry should happen at the end of the script writing stage. But until then, we're just getting the beginning of a first draft of a script. We should be in script stage for quite a few months yet. And once again, only the first draft. look how long the Fraggle Rock film is taking to develope.

And once the script has been finished, expect a long period of time where nothing happens. that's preproduction.

That said, they even used the drunken Muppet Show clip for a new TV Trailer.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Well, from what I read from the interviews Segel gave, apparently he's had this idea for a story in his head for awhile, or he at least had a rough draft of the script to present to Disney, which could explain why he's fifty pages into the script, so I wouldn't be too worried about he and Stoller rushing through it.

And also, aren't scripts usually significantly longer than fifty pages? I doubt their even a quarter of the way done with it, personally. :smirk: Just my opinion.

That's awesome that they used the drunken TMS clip on a new trailer, I must keep my eye out for that! That was probably my favorite part of the movie.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
A script is generally 120 pages long... He is halfway there. Stallone wrote Rocky in 3 nights or something crazy like that. If the ideas and dialogue are flowing it can be written in no time. It's the pre-production, shooting, and post that takes so much time and yes, sometimes the script has to be rewritten and often they will bring in ghost writers to punch it up. It all depends but, if you are a good writer you can push one out in little time.

PS. I read it in an interview (the 50 pages) it came straight from Segels lips...

unclematt

Reaction score
They usually say that one script page is equal to about 1 minute of air time.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
That is very true Uncle Matt. If you watch movies very closely you will see that everything is set up on a clock. Time is what movies are all about - and dialogue pushes the script along on the clock.

unclematt

Reaction score
uppity, you do know a awful lot about that kind of stuff.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Man, I have not posted for like two years or something, and came back to talk about this.

Why is it that the Disney guys are going for youngsters with no experience of this kind?

The Muppets are legend! You don't give the car keys to the Cadillac to teenagers. Maybe the cheap car, but not the big one :big_grin:

I could get excited about this if it was a couple of special guys but they are nothing special and the IMDB says they make crappy movies together, so who even cares?

This is NOT some kind of cheap project. It is the legends and we need some legendary guys. I hope they quit.

And yes, Puppet Up is disgusting and I told you the rotten Henson kids were no good for selling the old NYC building.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Man, I have not posted for like two years or something, and came back to talk about this.

Why is it that the Disney guys are going for youngsters with no experience of this kind?

The Muppets are legend! You don't give the car keys to the Cadillac to teenagers. Maybe the cheap car, but not the big one :big_grin:

I could get excited about this if it was a couple of special guys but they are nothing special and the IMDB says they make crappy movies together, so who even cares?

This is NOT some kind of cheap project. It is the legends and we need some legendary guys. I hope they quit.

And yes, Puppet Up is disgusting and I told you the rotten Henson kids were no good for selling the old NYC building.
I Remebere you! Why the heck did ya come back? I mean seriously there are a lot of interviews from Jason Segal if you took the time and read them you would clearly see that He really has a heart for the Muppets and the Muppet Franchies!
So what if they are new they are ready and willing to re boost the Muppets so i say let them be!

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score

So . . . handing the Muppets over to young enthusiastic talented people who have been involved with some of the most successful comedies of the past few years (and who happen to be big fans of the Muppets who seem to care about the characters) is a bad idea? Well, shoot, I can't wait until they come up with a GOOD idea!

"AndyWan, I ordered you to power down Sarcasm Mode!"

"Yes, Captain." Sigh.

:wink:

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Oh no - I understand your trepidation but, these guys are turning out some good stuff. I think you are a little blindsided that they are new. Hollywood runs off the new & the young! Think Orson Wells - he was a radio head who blew into Hollywood and made one of the best pieces of cinema we have ever seen.

Give Segel a chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.