Elmo Muppeteer Kevin Clash resigns from Sesame Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaker

Reaction score
I don't give a crap if it is "true", Kevin Clash will always have my full support and love.
I mean look at those sick ess oh bees Chris Brown and R Kelly. They did things a thousand times worse than what Clash is accused of, and they're bigger stars than ever now. Anyways, to me the whole thing is suspicious still at this point. I mean, a chat room in 1993? Was this kid on a cell phone too? (Yeah I realize AOL was around in 1992, but still)

According to a article on NY Daily News, Kevin was on those phone sex lines talking to underage kids.

That's what really shattered my perspective of him for me right now. I can't believe a second person is coming now to accuse him. I mean, why would Kevin do this? And even more than once? It really makes me sad to think about it. :frown:
The NY Daily News is a right wing tabloid, I wouldnt trust them to tell me what day it was:smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Not to sound crass, but think of the BAD money timing. Sesame Street derives a lot of cash from the holiday season. With black friday and one month of the holiday shopping frenzy, this could not be worse news. I can imagine a lot of parents will be thinking twice about buying Elmo or SS products

Seriously? This is incredibly stupid. No, it's not the same as 3, but they are still minors. Once you say that the allegations are bad, your argument goes out the window. Do you realize that the "She said she was 18 line" is common amongst predators? It's really stomach churning to read it here as though it's a valid argument to make. I understand that you are mad at the situation, but this is nonsense. It's proven fact that even at age 18, people are still developing mentally. Do teens have sex, yep. But it's still illegal if they do it with an adult, and it's undeniably eyebrow raising if that adult is 30 years their senior. Regardless of the outcome, it's pretty clear that Kevin made decisions that cost him his life's work.

MTV celebrates a show it puts on called "16 and pregnant"...which is a completely illegal premise to begin with if we're going by this.We're to believe 20 years ago when hardly anyone was online, a 15 year old meets Kevin Clash in a chatroom and then somehow transitions this into a real life encounter?

With the Sandusky trial, we had so much evidence that came out. To me this whole thing smacks of TMZ stled gotcha journalism with a heavy dose of Double Dare slime.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Man, this is horrible. It's so sad that such a big part of Sesame Street has to go, let alone like this. I trust that the people at Seasme will place Elmo in new loving hands, but it just won't be the same without the man that basically created him.

Katzi428

Reaction score
This new accuser is obviously full of it. He just realized how much damage it caused? He was on a gay chatroom in 1993? He wants 5 million for his emotional damage, which he wasn't even aware of until last week?

Screw these people. I can't comment on the first guy, but I can say, these other people crawling out of the darkness are just scabs in search of cash.
Uh huh...my feelings EXACTLY!
I may have mentioned in the past that I'm not a fan of Elmo. But never EVER have I spoken ill (nor will I ever speak ill of) Kevin Clash. He's very talented! I hope he reconsiders his decision. Til then I hope his accusers are happy with themselves. :mad: They won't be the ones to answer the little kids' answers to "Why does Elmo sound different?"
Please come back, Mr. Clash. Today's SS watchers need you. :cry:

Luke

Reaction score
Without going into everything, even with the last retraction which became known as a settlement i still didn't think he'd come back - once the damage is done it's done.

I really admire Kevin's professional work and "Being Elmo" touched me, i'm glad he had the chance to tell his amazing life story and of course we will always have his past work to enjoy.

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
This is complete and utter bull. So what if Kevin has a life we don't look proudly at? Richard Hunt did, and he was on Sesame Street until his end. For god sakes, Kevin was a reason Seasame Street lasted so long. Here's hoping Steve, Bill, and Dave will welcome their old buddy back.

Seriously: We lose Jerry, and now Kevin's gone? Sure, not in the same sense, but Sesame Street's going to be hurt with out these two. Won't be long until, God forbid, Caroll Spinney passes.

beaker

Reaction score
So reading (and trying not to throw up) NY Daily News and TMZ
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/elmo-resigns-new-accusations-article-1.1205034
Singleton was one of “multiple boys” targeted by Clash through the sex lines, according to the lawsuit. Two other purported victims have already come forward, said attorney Jeff Herman, who represents Singleton.
“Kevin Clash groomed Cecil and gained his trust,” the lawsuit charged. “On numerous occasions over a period of years, Kevin Clash engaged Cecil Singleton in sexual activity.”

Drtooth

Reaction score
This new accuser is obviously full of it. He just realized how much damage it caused? He was on a gay chatroom in 1993? He wants 5 million for his emotional damage, which he wasn't even aware of until last week?
Spit take... 20 years?! I'm sorry, but if something is wrong you don't wait 20 years.

Greenhoodie

Reaction score
No one's saying it's okay. We're just saying why the heck are there minors on a sex chat line? In your words, they "chose to go on a gay chat line." Where's the punishment on their end looking for trouble? Why do they even have one that less than 18 year olds can access?

If you go out in the woods wearing a suit of meat to attract bears and they eat you, you're not a victim. If you fall for a get rich quick scheme that you lose all your money to, it's still your fault for being dumb enough to fall for it.

I'm not saying it's right, but every party is at fault here. The "victims" should take just as much responsibility.
How do you know they were "looking for trouble". They might just be looking for other young men to talk to about their confused sexuality. You are making a judgement on people in a situation that you know nothing about. It also bothers me because , again, it's no different than saying "Look at the way she is dressed, she's asking for trouble."

Even with this gay chat line, we don't know why the kids called it. You're equating sexuality with looking for sex. It could just be a kid trying to talk to someone because they are newly discovering their own sexuality. I don't know that, but you don't know that they went looking for sex either. It's too soon for any of us to tell.

The problem is, if he met the young men outside of that context, all bets are off. A minor giving consent is still a minor. Them's the rules.

At any rate, before we just throw accusations around at either side, perhaps we should wait to see if anything else comes to light. Personally, I just can't support him yet. It turns my stomach thinking that I may be supporting someone who could end up proving me wrong.

In the end, I'm upset as these guys because they've tainted my feelings toward someone I look up to. I'm also upset that I don't know if they are telling the truth. In the end, I'm upset at Kevin for putting himself in this position that needs to be questioned in the first place, and the potential harm it could cause the legacy of the show. Like it or not, it's part of it's history now.

Status
Not open for further replies.