An Unbreakable Bond - The third Rowlf story

Skye

Reaction score
It's so cool to see an update! Great chapter, Beth. Moe is an interesting character. Can't wait for more!

Oh, and thank you for the offer of the reading list, Ed. I may take you up on that at some point.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Lots of family fun in this chapter.

Chapter Six:

The bus dropped off everyone at the theatre for another day of rehearsals. Rowlf was stuck in Beau’s cab with Moe. Moe had stayed behind to clean up the kitchen and Rowlf didn’t feel like he could leave him there so he waited with him.

“So, Rowlf, what do you do all day here at the theatre?” asked Moe.

“Well, there’s usually rehearsals for Veterinarian’s Hospital if we’re running that skit this week and then usually I have to rehearse sometime of musical number. Sometimes Kermit lets me create my own number,” said Rowlf.

“That’s awesome! I could run lines with you for Veterinarian's Hospital,” offered Moe.

Since it was Thursday and dress rehearsal day Rowlf already had his lines down pat, but he didn’t want to disappoint his overeager brother.

“Sure, I’ll grab you a script. You can be Nurse Janice and Nurse Piggy,” said Rowlf.

“Cool, they’re both really…” Moe started to say.

“Taken,” finished Rowlf. The last thing he needed for Moe to do was to get in the middle of any of his friends relationships.

“Got it,” said Moe.

Rowlf went over to the desk to find a copy of the script for this week’s edition of Veterinarian’s Hospital. As he was looking for it Wanda came up behind him.

“Hey Rowlf, you wanted to talk to me at breakfast. What was it?” asked Wanda.

“What? Oh um, well it’s not important now,” said Rowlf.

“Oh, ok,” said Wanda and started to walk away.

“I’m sorry Wanda, I really do have a lot I want to talk to you about, but right now I’ve got to focus on Moe. I hope you understand,” said Rowlf stopping her by putting a paw on her shoulder.

Wanda turned to face him.

“Yeah, I understand. He’s going through something isn’t he?” she asked.

“Yes, he is. I’m just trying to get him through it,” said Rowlf.

“You’re a good brother,” said Wanda smiling and then walking away. She couldn’t help but think to herself that maybe Rowlf was being too good of a brother. She sighed and went about her business.

Meanwhile, Rowlf found the script and headed over to “rehearse” with Moe. It was impossible at first, Moe kept laughing at every line Rowlf said.

“Dr. Bob is so funny! Remember when you came into my hospital room dressed as Dr. Bob?” laughed Moe.

“Moe, it would be more helpful to me if you’d just read Piggy and Janice’s lines,” said Rowlf.

“Sorry,” said Moe. He couldn’t contain his laughter though as he tried to imitate Janice and Piggy using a ridiculously high-pitched voice.

Rowlf just would pause and let Moe do his thing, after all, this was more for Moe’s benefit than his anyway. Rowlf was hoping to spend the afternoon alone at his piano and hadn’t figured out how to tell Moe that this was what he was planning just yet. Might as well let him have fun for now.

After running the sketch for what felt like the 50th time, Rowlf was saved by the bell. Well, sort of.

“Rowlf? You’ve got a phone call,” said Scooter.

“Oh boy,” said Rowlf. He knew right away it was his mother. He should’ve known better than to assume that she wouldn’t call until Friday.

Oblivious, Moe followed Rowlf over to the phone.

“This is Rowlf, Rowlf the Dog,” said Rowlf into the phone.

“This is your mother,” said Felicia sounding a bit curt.

“Hi mom,” said Rowlf.

“Don’t hi mom me. Is he there? And if he is, why didn’t one of you call me? I’ve been worried sick!” exclaimed Felicia.

“Yep, he’s here all right,” said Rowlf. This was difficult. With Moe listening in he didn’t feel like he could be too terribly candid with his mother.

“Then answer my question!” demanded Felicia.

“I’m sorry mom. We got kind of busy last night I guess,” said Rowlf. With Moe standing there Rowlf felt he had to lie for him and not let their mom know that Moe didn’t seem to want to talk to her.

“So I’m assuming he’s all right then?” asked Felicia.

“Yeah, he’s fine. He’d like to stay here for awhile,” said Rowlf.

“I thought that he would. Well, I guess if he’s with you it’s better than being on his own. Will it be all right if he stays?” asked Felicia.

“Yeah mom, it’s fine. Kermit’s got him doing some odd jobs,” said Rowlf. Moe smiled at him. Rowlf was covering for him quite well.

“Well ok. Keep a good eye on him. If he gives you guys any trouble, make him come home,” said Felicia.

“Will do,” said Rowlf.

“Now let me talk to him,” said Felicia.

“You want to talk to him?” Rowlf asked out loud for Moe’s benefit. Moe shook his head wildly and mouthed no.

“Yes dear, please put him on,” said Felicia.

“Sorry mom, he’s, um, he’s helping Gonzo practice a stunt right now,” said Rowlf.

“Gonzo? That daredevil alien? What is he thinking?” asked Felicia.

“Don’t worry mom, we’re always safe around here. Well, I gotta go. I love you mom,” said Rowlf.

“Oh I love you too. Tell Moe to be careful and to call me later,” said Felicia.

With that they hung up.

Rowlf and Moe just sat in silence for a minute looking at the phone.

“Rowlf?” asked Moe.

“Yeah?” responded Rowlf.

“You’re the best brother ever!” exclaimed Moe throwing his arms around Rowlf.

“Thanks,” said Rowlf still a little confused.

“Let’s get back to rehearsing,” said Moe.

Rowlf looked over to where Wanda was rehearsing something with the guest star for that week, Nick Lachey. In fact, they looked like they were getting a little too cozy.

“Rowlf, come on!” exclaimed Moe from the other side of the stage.

Rowlf sighed. He needed to get to the bottom of this problem with Moe and he needed to do it fast.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Posted by Red: Chapter Six:

The bus dropped off everyone at the theatre for another day of rehearsals.
Good opening, nice and Muppety.

Posted by Boober: Rowlf was stuck in Beau’s cab with Moe. Moe had stayed behind to clean up the
kitchen and Rowlf didn’t feel like he could leave him there so he waited with him.
Aw... Poor Rowlf... Relegated to Bo's cab once again.
Especially cause he was a bit wary of leaving Moe alone, good speaks to the underlying tension.

Posted by Gurl: “So, Rowlf, what do you do all day here at the theatre?” asked Moe.
Like he hasn't seen the show before.

Posted by Red Fraggle's roomie: “Well, there’s usually rehearsals for Veterinarian’s Hospital if we’re running that skit this week and then usually I have to rehearse sometime of musical
number. Sometimes Kermit lets me create my own number,” said Rowlf.
Yep, and someone should talk to that frog to get Rowlf some more airtime on recent shows/specials.

Posted by Mokey's other roomie: “That’s awesome! I could run lines with you for Veterinarian's Hospital,” offered Moe.
You think that's a good idea?

Posted by that woman from Minnesota: Since it was Thursday and dress rehearsal day Rowlf already had his lines down pat, but he didn’t want to disappoint his overeager brother.
Heh... Puppy dog points for that one.

Posted by Mother of 3: “Sure, I’ll grab you a script. You can be Nurse Janice and Nurse Piggy,” said Rowlf.

“Cool, they’re both really…” Moe started to say.

“Taken,” finished Rowlf. The last thing he needed for Moe to do was to get in the middle of any of his friends relationships.

“Got it,” said Moe.
Funny bit, loved Rowlf's response. And yet, again, you're subtly capturing that family problem that's truly at the heart of this story.

Posted by Is A. Belle: Rowlf went over to the desk to find a copy of the script for this week’s edition of Veterinarian’s Hospital. As he was looking for it Wanda came up behind
him.
Oh... Me thinks I smell some trouble brewing. Nope, must be the coffee.

Posted by Mrs. Cole-Midnight: “Hey Rowlf, you wanted to talk to me at breakfast. What was it?” asked Wanda.
Wanda... Your timing's off.

Posted by Purrfection: “What? Oh um, well it’s not important now,” said Rowlf.
Rowlf, you need to fess up boy.

Posted by Ms. Snowcat: “Oh, ok,” said Wanda and started to walk away.

“I’m sorry Wanda, I really do have a lot I want to talk to you about, but right now I’ve got to focus on Moe. I hope you understand,” said Rowlf stopping
her by putting a paw on her shoulder.
Very touching moment... Speaks to what's going on or not between the dog and the lovely calico.

Posted by Grandma K's Daughter: Wanda turned to face him.

“Yeah, I understand. He’s going through something isn’t he?” she asked.

“Yes, he is. I’m just trying to get him through it,” said Rowlf.

“You’re a good brother,” said Wanda smiling and then walking away. She couldn’t help but think to herself that maybe Rowlf was being too good of a brother.
She sighed and went about her business.
Oh... You little heartstabber. Hurts me somewhat to see Wanda sad like that.
And of course, things aren't exactly hunky-dory in Rowlf's world either.

Posted by Room #3's resident: Meanwhile, Rowlf found the script and headed over to “rehearse” with Moe. It was impossible at first, Moe kept laughing at every line Rowlf said.

“Dr. Bob is so funny! Remember when you came into my hospital room dressed as Dr. Bob?” laughed Moe.

“Moe, it would be more helpful to me if you’d just read Piggy and Janice’s lines,” said Rowlf.
Great refurrence to The Tie That Binds. Helps bring it home.
Besides, that sketch is one of the funnier ones from the show.

Posted by Rowlf's narrator: “Sorry,” said Moe. He couldn’t contain his laughter though as he tried to imitate Janice and Piggy using a ridiculously high-pitched voice.

Rowlf just would pause and let Moe do his thing, after all, this was more for Moe’s benefit than his anyway. Rowlf was hoping to spend the afternoon alone
at his piano and hadn’t figured out how to tell Moe that this was what he was planning just yet. Might as well let him have fun for now.
*Laughs trying to hear Moe imitating Janice and Piggy's high shrill voices.
And poor Rowlf, all he needs/wants is a bit of alone time with the ol' ivories.

Posted by Felicia's feline friend: After running the sketch for what felt like the 50th time, Rowlf was saved by the bell. Well, sort of.

“Rowlf? You’ve got a phone call,” said Scooter.

“Oh boy,” said Rowlf. He knew right away it was his mother. He should’ve known better than to assume that she wouldn’t call until Friday.

Oblivious, Moe followed Rowlf over to the phone.

“This is Rowlf, Rowlf the Dog,” said Rowlf into the phone.

“This is your mother,” said Felicia sounding a bit curt.
Funny little curtness.
“Hi mom,” said Rowlf.

“Don’t hi mom me. Is he there? And if he is, why didn’t one of you call me? I’ve been worried sick!” exclaimed Felicia.
Oy, mothers and how easily they get worried.
“Yep, he’s here all right,” said Rowlf. This was difficult. With Moe listening in he didn’t feel like he could be too terribly candid with his mother.

“Then answer my question!” demanded Felicia.

“I’m sorry mom. We got kind of busy last night I guess,” said Rowlf. With Moe standing there Rowlf felt he had to lie for him and not let their mom know
that Moe didn’t seem to want to talk to her.
Well... Moe'll have to talk to Felicia sooner or later.
“So I’m assuming he’s all right then?” asked Felicia.

“Yeah, he’s fine. He’d like to stay here for awhile,” said Rowlf.

“I thought that he would. Well, I guess if he’s with you it’s better than being on his own. Will it be all right if he stays?” asked Felicia.

“Yeah mom, it’s fine. Kermit’s got him doing some odd jobs,” said Rowlf. Moe smiled at him. Rowlf was covering for him quite well.

“Well ok. Keep a good eye on him. If he gives you guys any trouble, make him come home,” said Felicia.

“Will do,” said Rowlf.

“Now let me talk to him,” said Felicia.
Uh-oh! The jig's up!
“You want to talk to him?” Rowlf asked out loud for Moe’s benefit. Moe shook his head wildly and mouthed no.

“Yes dear, please put him on,” said Felicia.

“Sorry mom, he’s, um, he’s helping Gonzo practice a stunt right now,” said Rowlf.

“Gonzo? That daredevil alien? What is he thinking?” asked Felicia.
Nice way of describing Gonzo.
“Don’t worry mom, we’re always safe around here. Well, I gotta go. I love you mom,” said Rowlf.

“Oh I love you too. Tell Moe to be careful and to call me later,” said Felicia.

With that they hung up.
Phone call... Probably the best part of this chapter.

Posted by Li'l Miss 10000 Lakes: Rowlf and Moe just sat in silence for a minute looking at the phone.

“Rowlf?” asked Moe.

“Yeah?” responded Rowlf.

“You’re the best brother ever!” exclaimed Moe throwing his arms around Rowlf.

“Thanks,” said Rowlf still a little confused.
He'd better appreciate that... Though I sense Rowlf's growing anx over what to do with his brother.

Posted by a Sly Minx: “Let’s get back to rehearsing,” said Moe.

Rowlf looked over to where Wanda was rehearsing something with the guest star for that week, Nick Lachey. In fact, they looked like they were getting a
little too cozy.
OK... Gotta say...
Rully don't like the guest star choice and the insuinations... Smacks too much of his appearance at the beginning of Charmed Season 6, those few little episodes where I didn't rully care for that trist between him and Phoebe.
That aside though... This is another part I like because of how it kinds of addresses Rowlf's multiple sources of emotional strain. Plus, the insinuation works in Wanda's favor/disfavor, making Rowlf get a little more worried adding to his ailments.

Posted by Beth: “Rowlf, come on!” exclaimed Moe from the other side of the stage.

Rowlf sighed. He needed to get to the bottom of this problem with Moe and he needed to do it fast.
Yep... That's what I've been talkin' about.
You're doing a great job building up Rowlf's mounting tensions... And he'll have to deal with them if he wants to get back to being happy in the Muppets' family.

Great chapter, post more please! Soon? Ish?

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ed, you made my day with that very detailed review! I was laughing so hard at all the "posted by" names you came up with! Anyway, glad you enjoyed the chapter, more will be along on Monday. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*In Kermit voice: Oh good.

Hope you noticed all those names leading up to the last one. And it rully is a great story, can't wait for more.
Oh that's right, we'll have to wait.

Aaron

Reaction score
I love this story and i love Rowlf

theprawncracker

Reaction score
BETH! I haven't been posting! I'm sorry I was so busy!! But I really really love this!! MORE PLEASE!!!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I was wondering if anyone besides Ed, who is super awesome by the way, was reading still! I apologize that I was going to actually send chapters via e-mail to you Christy, but I think I've only written the one since you made that request. Anyway, I'm glad there's still people reading, you've now motivated me to write the next chapter which should be up tomorrow sometime! :smile: Now go post in your own stories too. :smile: