1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Jun 30, 2012.

1. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

And My Bedbugs at least had some good intentions behind it (educating kids about proper hygiene and bedtime habits). None of that can be found in The Oogs.

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

NORM OF THE NORTH

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1594972/?ref_=nv_sr_2

So, it apparently starts off as a polar bear version of HAPPY FEET where the arctic home of these creatures is being destroyed by humans, but then it somehow turns into THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER and ROCK-A-DOODLE where the polar bear and his little hammy friends get mixed up in the big city, then it turns into the HEY ARNOLD! MOVIE, RETURN TO GREEN ACRES, the 25th anniversary SST special, and what have you were we learn some eccentric real estate tycoon is planning to demolish the entire arctic circle to make room for . . . whatever, I lost interest halfway through the trailer.

The character look like they've been ripped off from the Open Season and Madagascar movies, and . . . oh boy, a soundtrack that features Taylor "I am Narcissist, Hear Me Croon" Swift.

3. mr3urious

I hope that movie flops like Legends of Oz and Strange Magic did. But then again, it could become an undeserved hit like The Nut Job, which benefited from no competition in a dump month.

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Indeed they are. Now, I don't like Open Season, regardless of the talent (wasted talent, if you ask me), and I have a weird fascination with Madagascar for some reason. I mean, I'd love to be an animation snob and turn my nose up to something like that, but the franchise it too darn likable for me. Penguins and Julien especially. I mean, Madagascar had three hit movies, an unfortunately timed one that was better received internationally, one hit TV show, one Netflix Show and at least 3 full half hour length holiday specials (2 Christmas- one being Penguins and one Valentines one). Dispite the fact poor timing killed POM the movie, it's a successful franchise and one of my top 3 favorites from DW (Dragons and Kung Fu Panda being the other two). But Norm just lacks the charisma and fun of the Madagascar films, and none of the characters look engaging, fun, or marketable.

KFP3 is stupidly going to get release in January, so it does indeed have competition. January is only good for midlevel budget films, I don't see a bigger budget DW film surviving that month. Especially a franchise picture. Nick pretty much kicked KFP:LOA off the line up as soon as their deal ended (and it did that tricky thing where they aired it constantly on their sister network, Nicktoons to assure kids that they didn't cancel it...which disturbs me as Sanjay and Craig seems to be airing an awful lot on Nicktoons). Surprised DW didn't pull a Dragons and make a second supposed series connected through Netflix.

Anyway, I really think Strange Magic bombed because George Lucas's name was attached. If it was through bad word of mouth, it would have at least opened better. Norm looks like something that potentially could be another Nutjob, unless KFP3 is released soon before or after. Looks like something hyperactive 4 year olds would drag their parents to.

5. Drtooth

On the opposite side of the spectrum, apparently...sigh... Prinde and Prejudice and Zombies is a thing.

UGH.

Now, really. You'd think other high concept anachronism plus outdated dead horse Meme films failing spectacularly, this would have just evaporated into nothingness. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and Cowboys and Aliens were legendary flops, so why was this thing completed? The concepts were pretty tongue in cheek, sort of, but the audience for the movies wasn't there either time. What makes them think this time will be any different?

Plus, it...just doesn't even look as good (relatively) as those two. And zombies are so 2011.

6. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Zombies so 2011? Yeah, er, not if I Zombie on the CW, Z-Nation on Syfy, The Wlking Dead and it's spinoff and countless other zombiepocalypse films are anything to go by.
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is moving forward as a project created by Seth Graham Smith, who's gotten a sense of cashé. Thing is he's also scripted the Beetlejuice sequel that's basically an insertion of Beetlejuice characters in the Corpse Bride storyline, but the interesting thing is that the animated series might be connected to the cinematic franchise.

Now for the real reason I came to this thread. So I'm browsing IGN's headlines like usual and find what may be the single-most cringeworthy piece of cinematic crud ever greenlit in the history of Hollywood.
    Dorka the frackin' Explorer the Movie. *Screams in absolute terror!
    What's worse is that the scripter of Puss in Boots is onboard to make this drecht a reality.

Whoever approved that should be, in the immortal words of Garfield, "dragged out into the middle of the street and shot."

7. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh this is worse than I thought, apparently the new Dora movie is going to be LIVE ACTION!

8. Drtooth

Zombies as an an ironic meme are over, that is. Walking Dead is far from ironic, and still manages to draw in huge audiences. iZombie, unless I'm mistaken, was a comic book, possibly written before the cutoff and just greenlit. But whatever you can say about zombies being popular, there's one thing that never was. Semi-ironic concept films. Snakes on a Plane did not live up to its prefilm internet hype, nor did Cowboys and Aliens and Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Cowboys and Aliens flopped so bad, it almost put Lone Ranger out of commission, which in retrospect should have been taken as the sign as that movie did even worse. I don't think this ironic zombie concept film will be successful, and they were fools not to catch the hint of the failure of the previously mentioned films.

Though I guess the only good takeaway here is that it at least stars some female characters, something desperately needed. But I'd hate for this to be another Aeon Flux/Underworld disaster that studio heads stupidly take as "no one wants to pay to see films starring woman heroes" and not the reality that both films sucked.

Eh, you know... while I'm sure this move is happening due to the recent modest success of the Spongebob out of Water film, I'm wondering why it took them this long otherwise. Dora's unfortunately still a thing. And even though there was this whole big thing about Dora aging up to preteen (which was years before this thing even happened) it's the same darn show with the same darn question prompts. UGH. A movie makes sense, it'll probably be the only successful preschool based movie (and even then, moderately). Still, you'd think with Paw Patrol's huge popularity, they'd go for something more current.

9. mr3urious

After hearing news about that Barney reboot, there's been news of a new Thomas the Tank Engine film that was planned back to be released back in late 2010 at the very least. Considering that Magic Railroad performed so-so at best and was critically panned, I doubt people are going to warm up to another one of these. The 2nd link seems to imply that the film will be human-focused like the first one was, which is a death sentence for this kind of thing. So yeah, not too thrilled about this. :concern:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118000782.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

http://deadline.com/2011/06/9-helme...ed-on-the-thomas-the-tank-engine-toys-138304/

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  10. Drtooth

I could never take much out of the franchise since it moved to an all CGI format instead of the model trains with narration, but honestly I didn't really care much since Shining Time Station stopped being run. I mean, I like the characters enough to get the Pez dispensers and some crappy Smartees-like (USA Smartees, that is) Japanese candy in a tube (that someone broke the face off of and lost).

The Magic Railroad movie was crap because some executive thought the villain of the movie (and thus all tension) was too much for kids to handle. Otherwise, it would have had a decent story, or rather A story. A Story.

And with preschool based kid's movies doing no business, I don't see why they'd bother with a theatrical Thomas film.

11. mr3urious

And what story it did have was very convoluted even for adults to follow. And it was barely focused on Thomas himself.

Though Diesel 10 was a pretty entertaining villain in his own right with how he nicknamed his claw "Pinchy". Would have liked to hear him with his original Russian accent, though.

12. Drtooth

I swear I remember seeing Ebert and Someone Else (Richard Roper, maybe) bashing this movie in a review. But the thing that stuck out to me was they were baffled by the fact Thomas's mouth didn't move. Clearly they weren't familiar with the source material.

Of course, Thomas is much more mainstream a property now than it was back when the film was released. It was well known, but not the big thing it has been more recently. Don't think a movie's a great idea, at least a theatrical one.

13. Drtooth

UGH! They're making another Terminator film. They really haven't learned their lessons, have they? It had 2 good movies and then they made a third one no one liked, a fourth one nooooo one liked or bought the merchandise for, and a fifth one that mostly no one liked. And yeah, a TV show that supposedly did a better job than all three of the last ones put together but got cancelled because it was on Fox and didn't have a big enough audience.

Hasta La Vista, baby and I'll Be Back really have a new meaning. As in I'll be Back because I'll never take the hint and go away.

14. mr3urious

If Cracked is anything to go by, it's because Genisys did well enough in China that it's getting a new installment. :rolleyes:

15. Drtooth

I had a feeling that was the case, though I left it out.

Of course, if they didn't market the big twist ending of Genisys into all the trailers and promotional materials, it probably would have got a better audience reaction.

That said, I do like Ahhnold. I somehow really enjoy Jingle All the Way, and I'm actually disappointed that they never made the Governator cartoon series. If anything Genisys (still didn't see it, don't care to bother) is at least probably better for him being in it than that Salvation movie that no one liked at all. And seriously, HA HA Playmates toys. They dumped the TMNT to get the rights for that only to see the Salvation toys at Dollar Stores years later, only to come crawling back under the Nicktoons version of the show to great success. I'm sure Genisys was at least a step up from that one, and was meant to reboot the franchise. In that aspect, it's a shame that it didn't take.

Then again, if I complain about how a 6th movie will happen only because of China's box office, I'd be hypocritical as that's the only way we'll see Pacific Rim 2 if it ever gets made. It's a shame that PR is doomed to be a cult film (though cult films do get more respect over time) because audiences preferred Adam Sandler's ever creepier getting acting like a Man-child movies.

16. lmag42

lmag42 Active Member

So, the Rachet and Clank movie is coming out this April, and I have a feeling this movie only exists as way to help increase the popularity of the video game franchise. It's made by the people who made Escape from Planet Earth, or at least the people who animated it, and that was a bad cgi movie. So, this Rachet and Clank movie probably won't be good, it won't make that much money, and no one will care anyway.

17. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Animators and writers are two different things, you know. Just because a studio animated a clunker, doesn't mean the same team is behind the writing. Granted, I don't know anything about the movie, but it seems odd that the writers of the games wouldn't write for the movie. *shrug*

And uh. Why is making a moving to increase the game popularity a bad thing? :confused: Actually aren't pretty much all video game based movies just cash grabs from the fans of the actual game?

18. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Because the SUPER MARIO BROS. movie tanked (even though I liked it, personally), so now everybody fears that that'll be the case of any further movies based on video games.

Though, to be fair, the original SMB game had a very miniscule and nonsensical plot anyway, I can kind of see why they'd have to expand on it to make a movie out of it. LOZ probably would have worked better as a movie.

19. Drtooth

The Tomb Raider and Resident Evil movies actually proved to be successful. A new series of Tomb Raider movies is currently in production.

The Mario movie was doomed to fail because the technology and budget for a direct adaption just didn't exist then, nor did any knowledge of the characters by anyone over the age of 15. We had those who only cared about the game's popularity making the movie, and we ended up with a cynical, barely in name only flop that cheated gamer kids out of a good Mario movie and caused Nintendo to be insanely head up their butt picky about what happens to characters. Somehow Donkey Kong Country was able to happen, but that was the last Western adaption of their characters. And like I always say pfffffttt like Pokemon and F-Zero were that great?

That was a different scene than it is today. We've had 30 solid years of mainstream video gaming programmed into today's writers and directors. Everything makes a video game reference. Whole shows are nothing but video game references to the point of them being predictable and almost tired. Every cartoon is now legally required to do a fight sequence that turns into a Street Fighter II parody, from Family Guy to TMNT. If a Mario movie was made today, it would be incredibly lovingly close because everyone knows what Mario is about now, and they'd have to field some angry gamers. Look how much crap the 80's DIC Nintendo cartoons get online.

As for Ratchet and Clank, isn't this being supervised at least by the game company and creators? They seem to be doing what cartoon shows do when they get full theatrical movies. They're keeping the original professional voice acting cast as the franchise characters, but adding in new ones so they can say "hey! We have celebrity voice actors in this movie." This sounds like it could be a pretty fun little movie, but I have to admit, I don't see it being that successful. R&C has its fans, they'll probably go see this. I want to see it even though I've never played a R&C game and will probably be a little lost going in. But the film is going to be released a week before May's huge march of large budget movies, and after The Jungle Book (though, frankly I don't see that doing too well either, but losing far more money due to the budget). it seems that it'll get lost in the shuffle, and I might have to search for a theater to even see it.

20. lmag42

lmag42 Active Member

They all are indeed, but this seems to be a low-quality cgi movie combined with a video game movie.

Also, I don't see it being lost in the shuffle AS MUCH now that I see there's no legit family entertainment around unless The Jon Favreau Book is a hit. I mean, what other kids movies are there in April? None.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016