Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really need more to see more of H.R... but with H.R. there's at least a story to follow. Teletubbies is just a chaotic mishmash of what they'd think one year olds could pick up on. There are different reasons why adults like them ironically but, H.R. has legitimate fans too, and no one I knew who watched Tubbies ironically could take it longer than 10 minutes at the bravest.

Seems Tubbies had that extra level of masochistic pleasure to it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's something else people may not know about... the Teletubbies we know today aren't anything like the Teletubbies that were originally conceived.

From what I've read from some kind of research years ago, Ragdoll/BBC, or whoever it was who produced the series, were originally wanting to create a children's sitcom, aimed at the 7, 8, 9-year-olds, about silly and bumbling astronauts/space explorers, and somehow, it underwent all these changes from various different people involved, to the point that it became a kiddie show, aimed at 1-2-3-year-olds, about these supposedly little kids who like to dress up as space explorers (hence their spacey outfits) and explorer their own fanciful little world they live in.

I confess when Teletubbies first came on PBS back in 1998, I DID watch it. I'm serious, I watched it... it's like what the Love Ducks did to Arthur... you really couldn't NOT watch it... all happy, and colorful, and hypnotic and everything... and I was 8 and 9 at the time, and my other classmates watched it too, again, it was that hypnotic factor of sorts, and apparently more older kids across the country watched like that as well... so that's the Krofft comparison, because their Saturday Morning shows were aimed at little kids, however, when stoned college kids got up on Saturday Morning, and saw these shows that looked like their acid fantasies, they started watching too... and again, none of this was ever intentional, that was just the style these shows happened to have. I remember even Jack Wild (who plays Jimmy on Pufnstuf) said he would get letters from people all the time saying things like, "Yeah man, I know how you feel, I talk to mushrooms too, and I never get any help from these guys."

Drtooth

Reaction score
(Freakazoid extended spittake)...

FOR REALZ?!

The show was going to be good? Now I REALLY hate that series.

But I get the comparison. But just about everything looks pretty acid based when you're older, especially stuff that had an air of 60's-70's psychedelic pop culture to it. Still, I've yet to have found someone that enjoyed Teletubbies unironically, either for the LSD look or the whole (and I am totally calling it deliberate) gay thing about TinkyWinky.

Still, too much weird Brit culture is behind Tubbies... it almost seems like it wants to be a joke but isn't.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's going to have to bomb BIG time to not make up a 12 million dollar budget, with most of that safe to say going directly to marketing. I wouldn't be surprised if the film was made on less than half of that.

All it would take is 13 mil in receipts for this to be considered a success. Hopefully the preschool movie factor is in play, and this thing goes as unnoticed as Barney or Elmo in Grouchland. Heck, even Follow that Bird, amazing film as it was, didn't hit it's prime until it hit home video...

That's another angle to watch out for.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So far, Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 56% approval rating.

robodog

Reaction score
I can't see how this thing will make any money. I've seen monsters in horror movies that weren't as scary as these Oogielove things. I'll bet if you took any random Friday The 13th film and replaced Jason with one of those abominations it'd make it ten times scarier.
Also I noticed an ad for this crapfest on Cracked.com. What marketing idiot thought the Cracked readership was an appropriate place to troll for an audience for this thing?

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-------------
Hey, they shoved it onto my Google Plus feed. Needless to say I terminated that link fast. I honestly believe you can often tell how bad a kids' film is by the amount of pushing the stuff down people's throats they do prior to release!

--------------

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I honestly believe you can often tell how bad a kids' film is by the amount of pushing the stuff down people's throats they do prior to release!
I think you could say that for any film! I've never seen as many previews as I saw for Battleship, and that was a huge bomb.