1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Jun 30, 2012.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yep. She said it was too complex. But considering the results being a cloyingly diabetic, banal, budget produced joke of a show, it should come as no surprise.

Only thing keeping Barney going is Hit entertainment. I'm surprised he's not a CGI like all of Hit's other properties now. More disturbing? People like him nostalgically.
  2. robodog

robodog Active Member

Wow. I always figured nostalgia could only take you so far. There are plenty of things I loved as a kid that I now realize were utter crap. Some of those things I still kind of enjoy due to the nostalgia factor or the fact that it's so bad it's good. Barney just doesn't strike me as a show with even that kind of potential.
  3. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yeah, they added an orange dinosaur a few years back. The puppets, however, were dropped after a few seasons. It's kind of a shame, because they were actually somewhat interesting/entertaining characters. Can't say the same about the rest of the show.
  4. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

The orange Dino Is "cousin Riff". The yellow one is BJ. Riff, IMO was so pointless in bringing on the show. Though honestly, the show should've just died when Bob West retired as Barneys voice.

Sorry, I'm one of the kids of the "Barney generation", lol. And yes I confess to being nostalgic at times of the show - heck, it was a part of my childhood. It still baffles me Barney & Sesame Street competed though both were on the same network. Shouldn't they have been bringing in the same amount of viewers?
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well Barney was a brand new show. Sesame Street had been on for several years and it's hard to maintain that level of consistent success. Plus Sesame Street had lost some of its most valuable performers.
  6. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-----------
    I'm just wondering if Drtooth was referring to "Troll 2" as the Bad Gremlins Ripoff. See the Rifftrax version, and then check out the documentary made about the cult status of the so-horrible-it's-fun (note I did not say GOOD) flick. Here's to gooey green stuff! May they migrate over and eat the oogies and all other cheesy kids'-franchise-wannabes!

--------------
  7. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Sesame Street IS too complex! For a show that supposedly teaches basic math skills, i still can't figure out how Maria's gone from a teen to a grown woman with an adult child while Big Bird is still six years old.

I never did understand "fuzzy math"
  8. Drtooth

Nah... it's either Creatures or Critters or something like that. It's one of the movies digital channel "This TV" runs endlessly. The creatures look like refugees from some Monster in My Pocket type toyline. They're actually cute for one thing. Not even close to grotesque.

Exactly. It was the shiny new thing and people loved it because it was shiny and new. Though I don't see why it was in direct competition for being on the same network. That's like Seinfeld being in competition with Friends. Dora, sure... it's on another network. Kids I know who watched that miserable purple sponge suit also watched Sesame Street in the same capacity. I hate how it's desperately clinging to a shred of relevance, though. As I said with the Oogielove movie, the era of the big cheap suit is over. There's Yo Gabba Gabba, but that show survives by the inherent hipness of the concept, the guests, and the retro-Japanese kids show designs. It was created by one of the dudes from Devo, I hear. But, as much as I hate Dora and Superwhy (but will admit to LOVING Wow Wow Wubzy), preschool programming is moving more towards animation than live action.
  9. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Now Oogieloves is only playing in 8 theaters nationwide. What I want to know is, where are they still playing this? :confused:
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Local community theaters?
  11. Drtooth

Probably second tier budget cinemas. But consider this... the movie was released about 3 weeks ago. For a film to disappear THAT fast, that is a feat in and of itself. Most films, even flops, at least get a full month in theaters.
  12. mr3urious

Elmo in Grouchland was down to around 200 in its final weekends. So yeah, it is amazing.
  13. Drtooth

I'm wondering...

Were the stupid little plastic wands part of the budget? That would explain a lot. I couldn't imagine how much they cost to make, but I'm sure en masse they cost more than the actual film did.

And now they're going to end up in landfills like E.T. game carts... good going Genius God of Marketing.
  14. mr3urious

What's also crazy is that Viselman wants to make sequels, even after the pathetic box office returns! Hopefully he'll wise up and let them rot in direct-to-video Hades as he should have done with the first movie.

Like you said before, most of the budget must have also went to bribing theaters to show it.
  15. Drtooth

The sad thing is, as I said earlier, it probably would have found more of an audience as a DTV than it did as a film. I'm pretty sure that NO theater chain will even touch another Oogieloves movie no matter how much they bribe them.
  16. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

I haven't heard about wands. Were they giveaways for the kids?
  17. Drtooth

They were mentioned in the video review mr3urious posted a few pages ago. One of the reviewers got so mad at the movie, he snapped it in half and spread glow in the dark goo everywhere.
  18. Slackbot

19. Drtooth

Yeah, I'm borderline diabetic... that pushed me over to dangerous territory. Especially the pink icing she had for a font. Hurt my eyes and I barely could read the darn thing. Seems the kids loved it because they were bribed. It would take a truck full of vintage M.U.S.C.L.E.S. with the rare black hole Sunshine in the assortment to get me to even consider seeing that toxic waste.
  20. Slackbot

He makes good points. Now please excuse me while I go watch Fraggle Rock.
    Bannanasketch and DrDientes like this.