1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Another Stupid movie to Overreact to...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drtooth, Jun 30, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Looks like that off-brand Finding Nemo/SharkTale knock-off that also ripped ME off The Reef has gotten a sequel now.
  2. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

The Reef? Never heard of it. Care to elaborate?
  3. D'Snowth

It came out like 2006 or 2007 or so, and I believe it went straight to DVD, but it's a CGI animated movie about fish and sharks and stuff, and the main character looks a little like Nemo, and the plot seems to have been inspired SharkTale, and the specific story of a little community of fish being terrorized by a gang of sharks was basically a minimalist cartoon I did back in 2003, so yeah, they rip off two major motion pictures, and a rank amateur, and now it's got a sequel on DVD as well.
  4. Mo Frackle

Wow, it's amazing how many people don't understand the term "originality".
  5. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as originally any more :p
  6. Mo Frackle

Very true. All the good ideas have been taken. And so have most of the bad ideas.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

No... there is. It's just where you wouldn't expect it. Though, let's be honest. True originality hasn't existed since Greek Myth telling days. All the things that make a story have been around for eons. A basic plot is someone has to get something, get somewhere, get somebody, and face up against an antagonist to do it and win. That's basic story telling structure. And there are only so many ways to play with a story and characters. A lot of what we call "ripoffs" are quite unintentional.

But in this case, it IS intentional, because The Reef is basically a mockbuster, albeit a higher profile one than Ratatoing. Still, I don't see why The Reef was popular enough to get a sequel. Also, if it was a 2-D animated thing from the late 80's/early 90's, we'd be gushing about it, even if it sucked.

It looks prime for Redbox, all I can say.
  8. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Seems like Box Office Mojo hasn't been keeping track of the gross since last Thursday. Or are they usually like that?
  9. Drtooth

I can't help you there. I doubt it got that much more. I hear some places just pulled the mess all together.

I swear, those Film Snob guys or whatever they are must be right. The budget must've been big ONLY because they had to bribe theaters to show the thing. There's NO WAY this should have been released theatrically.
  10. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

WHAT???!!!
    Not possible! What are these people thinking?!!
  11. Drtooth

Yeah, but you gotta admit

Crappy Finding Nemo Ripoff > Oogieloogieloves

I'd rather be forced to watch BOTH Reef movies than even a commercial for those Oogs. At least they got the OOG part of it right. The "love" part? Not so much.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  12. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

--------------
    This is making me miss Celebrity Death Match!

--------------
    The Count likes this.
  13. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Oh, i dunno about that...people's capacity for coming up with all new bad ideas on a fairly regular basis quite amazes me.
    newsmanfan likes this.
  14. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

newsmanfan likes this.
  15. Drtooth

Bad ideas sell. Selling is more important than originality. But I hate how people act like everything that's being created now is absolutely the worst stuff ever created, and everything old is the greatest thing EVER. How do you explain The Avengers and everything Pixar does that doesn't involve talking cars? Nay.. even the stuff with talking cars is pretty good.

Movies like Oogieloves are rare in their terribleness. There are meh movies, there are lousy movies, but there are rarely movies so bad that it tears the fabric of the time space continuum. But there were always TERRIBLE films like that. Again, Mac & Me and there's some dumb Gremlins ripoff with really cheap looking rubber puppets with a fixed expression. But those two venture into so bad, it's good territory. You know what decade had a LOT of so bad it's good movies? The 50's... and 60's... and 70's... and 80's. That's the basis of one of the greatest TV shows of all time. So even bad can make good sometimes.

Yet, I have to stress, Oogieloves was self released. Lord knows where they got the money.
  16. robodog

robodog Active Member

My guess is somebody sold their soul. Oogieloves is kind of like that videotape from the Ring. Watch it and seven days later those monstrosities will crawl out of your TV and devour you. There's no way that some sort of supernatural evil wasn't involved in that nightmare's creation.
    JazzyAlphabet and newsmanfan like this.
  17. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

The guy probably mortgaged himself beyond his means to get the movie financed.
  18. Drtooth

Remember... this was from the Marketing guru behind Teletubbies and Thomas the Tank Engine. He was probably playing with house money anyway. He's just going to lose an investment, take credit from another crummy idea, and try to ram that down everyone's throats. The fact this was released the end of August shows there wasn't even confidence in this film by their own production company.

But the REAL problem is that the Oogieloves came out of thin air. Even that wretched reptile Barney came out of a series of cheaply produced VHS (and you're going to love this... it was created because the creator of Barney felt that Sesame Street was too complex... probably for her... O-O-O-O-O-OH!) before being a TV show. I said it a bunch of times in the thread already, but you can't build up that kind of franchise on a theatrical film. A DTV series, a Nick Jr. special or something... There's such an unspoken statement about this thing not catching on. To put it all in one big movie? That's an all or nothing bet, right there. I still fail to see where the budget comes from. I bet it this was DTV, at LEAST grannies would buy it for newborns.
  19. robodog

robodog Active Member

Sesame Street too complex? Heaven forbid there be a children's show that doesn't talk down to children rather than treat them like brain dead slugs the way Barney does. I take solace in the fact that Sesame Street is still popular while Barney's well on his way to obscurity.
    heralde likes this.
  20. D'Snowth

I don't see Barney heading into obscurity unfortunately... it's STILL on today (as in producing new episodes), and it seems like every few years or so, they keep adding new characters into the mix: y'know back in the day, it was just Barney, with an occasional appearance from Baby Bop, or that yellow dinosaur whose name escapes me, then it seems like at one point they added a bunch of Muppet-esque puppet characters like a bird, a worm, a squirrel, and others, and I think they have yet another new full bodied dinosaur I don't know, I don't pay too much attention.