Any Simon and Garfunkel fans out there?

Thijs

Reaction score
Originally posted by Jeffrey Gray
Wanna hear something messed-up? Today, one of my friends was arguing with another about who performed "Mrs. Robinson"...this guy claimed it was the BEATLES that performed it. And although the other guy kept saying it was Simon and Garfunkel, this guy kept insisting it was performed by the Beatles! How dumb is that?
:big_grin: very very dumb!:big_grin:

I have to say I like them separately more then together. They were just a little bit too soft and sweet. Paul Simon's songs are great, and Art's Bright Eyes is one of my top 10 all time favourites.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I have to say I like them separately more then together. They were just a little bit too soft and sweet. Paul Simon's songs are great, and Art's Bright Eyes is one of my top 10 all time favourites.
I love soft and sweet! :smile: Although I think a lot of their songs were a bit harsh. "Richard Cory," "I Am a Rock," "Save the Life of my Child"... Even "The Boxer" is considered by many to exhibit the epitome of teen-aged angst. I wouldn't say I like them better as solo artists, but equally as well, especially Artie. I agree that "Bright Eyes" is absolutely brilliant. And I adore Paul's "American Tune," which Art now sings in concert.
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Well, they did it! Not only did they sing together, they started off the whole show! :smile: I agree with Dustin Hoffman, I can't think of a more fitting way to start off the first Grammys in New York in five years.
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Yay!!

I didn't get to see it but I have it on tape so now I have something to look forward to!:smile:

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Well...shoot. I missed it. What song(s) did they sing.

I've been a big Paul Simon fan since high school. He's really influenced my singing style (He and Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney). I especially love the way he softly enunciates his consonants at the end of phrase as well as his use of alliteration in songs.

"I'm dappled and drowsy"

"The boy in the bubble and baby with the battling heart and I believe."

"sometimes when flying falling or tumbling in turmoil I say Oh...so this it what she means."

Great writer, he is.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Ol' Buddy Bert
Well...shoot. I missed it. What song(s) did they sing.
They sang "The Sound of Silence."

I've been a big Paul Simon fan since high school. He's really influenced my singing style (He and Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney). I especially love the way he softly enunciates his consonants at the end of phrase as well as his use of alliteration in songs.

"I'm dappled and drowsy"

"The boy in the bubble and baby with the battling heart and I believe."

"sometimes when flying falling or tumbling in turmoil I say Oh...so this it what she means."

Great writer, he is.
I love his use of alliteration. Some other great lines:

"I'm a freshly fallen, silent shroud of snow."

"Sounds of the city sifting through trees"

"I don't have a friend who feels at ease, I don't have a dream that's not been shattered or driven to its knees"

Or great internal rhyme like

"Sleeps unaware of the clarion call"

and many many others. He is one of my absolute favorite lyricists ever. I quote him incessantly and as a poet am exceptionally jealous of him! :wink:
Erin

EmmyMik

Reaction score
I'm so glad that they sang "Sounds of Silence". That's one of my favorite songs... ever (I have a weird habit of quoting it in conversations).

Although with Dustin Hoffman introducing them I think "Mrs. Robinson" might have been appropriate too...

:smile:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
I'm so glad that they sang "Sounds of Silence". That's one of my favorite songs... ever (I have a weird habit of quoting it in conversations).
LOL, me too! And I can't tell you how many times I've quoted it for school papers.

Although with Dustin Hoffman introducing them I think "Mrs. Robinson" might have been appropriate too...

:smile:
True! Although they played "The Sound of Silence" just as often in that movie... I remember watching the episode of "The Simpsons" that parodied "The Graduate" once, several years before I actually saw the movie, and I was all confused when they played "Sound of Silence" at the end. :big_grin:
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Don'tLiveonMoon
[BTrue! Although they played "The Sound of Silence" just as often in that movie... I remember watching the episode of "The Simpsons" that parodied "The Graduate" once, several years before I actually saw the movie, and I was all confused when they played "Sound of Silence" at the end. :big_grin:
Erin [/B]
Heehee! Don't you mean "The Sounds of Grandpa":big_grin:

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Don'tLiveonMoon
True! Although they played "The Sound of Silence" just as often in that movie... I remember watching the episode of "The Simpsons" that parodied "The Graduate" once, several years before I actually saw the movie, and I was all confused when they played "Sound of Silence" at the end. :big_grin:
Erin
Same here.

Now I want to see the episode to get the references, but alas, that hasn't happened.