4. "Hey, it's your old friend Darkness. Dude, give me a call"

3. "Hey, buddy, it's Art. I think your answering machine is broken"

2. "This is announcer Alan Kalter -- sorry for introducting you as
Phil Simon"

1. "Hi, thought of a fifty-first way to leave your lover -- run over
him with a Mercedes"

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
I love soft and sweet! Although I think a lot of their songs were a bit harsh. "Richard Cory," "I Am a Rock," "Save the Life of my Child"...
This may just be the English major in me, but "Richard Cory" is one of my favorite songs. The poem by Edwin Arlington Robinson was one of the ones we studied in my American literature class, and my professor got a hold of a .wav file of the song for us to hear, as well as a copy of the lyrics. I loved the twist Simon and Garfunkel put on the song as well, making more from the viewpoint of one jaded worker than a general third-person standpoint.

-Kim

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
Here's a recent David Letterman Top 10 list... (poor Arite) :smile:

Top Ten Messages Left On Paul Simon's Answering Machine

10. "Hey, it's Art. Wanna do an album?"

9. "Hello, Grammy winner, this is Metro Grammy Polishers calling with
a great introductory offer"

8. "Art again. Wanna do a tour?"

7. "Hey, check out eBay. Art's selling his lifetime achievement award"

6. "Fred Durst here -- I think we're all in agreeance that you were
great"

5. "I saw you on CBS with Garfunkel. Was that a repeat?"

4. "Hey, it's your old friend Darkness. Dude, give me a call"

3. "Hey, buddy, it's Art. I think your answering machine is broken"

2. "This is announcer Alan Kalter -- sorry for introducting you as
Phil Simon"

1. "Hi, thought of a fifty-first way to leave your lover -- run over
him with a Mercedes"
Aw, poor Artie getting picked on again. :boo: Oh, well, he can take it. We love you Artie! But I gotta love Letterman too... I want to see the episode of the Late Show where Art broke a record for shooting hoops. I love #4 on this list - it's my favorite! By the way, these new icons are very groovy! :excited:
Erin

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Skeeter Muppet
This may just be the English major in me, but "Richard Cory" is one of my favorite songs. The poem by Edwin Arlington Robinson was one of the ones we studied in my American literature class
-Kim
I remember reading that poem in lit class sophomore year. I actually didn't hear the song until after that. I thought it was pretty cool that he made a song from a poem we studied in school.
Erin

Thijs

Reaction score
My girlfriend seems to like Simon and Garfunkel. She plays it every time I'm at her place. When I hear it now, it reminds me of her:flirt:

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
However, there is one award I wish would go to U2.... Bono's been nominated (so I hear) for a NOBEL PEACE PRIZE!!! for his work in Africa's little segments where the greedy rulers exploit the poor and helpless. You can see why I hope U2 gets the nudge.
Bono was nominated for last year's Nobel Peace Prize, which I believe went to Jimmy Carter.

I caught Bono and The Edge on The Today Show this morning...very cool.

Since I've got U2 albums and DVDs playing all the time at my home, and U2 stickers on both of our cars, I'm hoping they get it...

On the other hand, growing up, Simon & Garfunkel was one of about three non-classical albums we were allowed to listen to in the Batcave, so we played the !@#$!#$ out of that, and I know them backwards and forward, and love love love them.

But when it comes down to the Oscars....U2's current work beat's Simon's current work. With a few exceptions, I think Simon's best years were 1968 - 1986...he's had a few flashes since then, and I love him, but I'd give the Oscar to my boys from Dublin.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
But when it comes down to the Oscars....U2's current work beat's Simon's current work. With a few exceptions, I think Simon's best years were 1968 - 1986...he's had a few flashes since then, and I love him, but I'd give the Oscar to my boys from Dublin.

Yet Carter surely deserved the Peace Prize over Bono!

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
Yet Carter surely deserved the Peace Prize over Bono!
Absolutely--Jimmy Carter has done so much the last 20 years--possibly the greatest "ex-president" of the Twentieth Century. I'm amazed at what he's been able to do.

I was surprised to see that Bono was even nominated--perhaps ten years from now he'll be ready for a Nobel Peace Prize, but not quite yet. I am impressed with what he's done as well--and have the feeling he's just getting started. Now if U2 would just get him back into the studio and give me another album....

BTW, I think I had little tearlets forming in my ex-tear ducts when Simon & Garfunkel performed at the Grammys--that was awesome.

The End.

Quinnnnnnn

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo
Absolutely--Jimmy Carter has done so much the last 20 years--possibly the greatest "ex-president" of the Twentieth Century. I'm amazed at what he's been able to do.

I was surprised to see that Bono was even nominated--perhaps ten years from now he'll be ready for a Nobel Peace Prize, but not quite yet. I am impressed with what he's done as well--and have the feeling he's just getting started. Now if U2 would just get him back into the studio and give me another album....

BTW, I think I had little tearlets forming in my ex-tear ducts when Simon & Garfunkel performed at the Grammys--that was awesome.

The End.

Quinnnnnnn
I have enormous respect for Jimmy Carter. I think "greatest ex-president of the Twentieth Century" is a good description of him, and it's interesting because I think he has made his most important contributions after his presidency. We need more humanitarians like him in this world.

It was awesome to see Simon and Garfunkel at the Grammys, even if it was short-lived. Rumors of a reunion tour are still flying, but I'm not holding my breath... Did anyone happen to catch Paul on GMA this morning? I missed him :cry:. They just had Art on last week, and he was terrific.
Erin