1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Authentic, Fully Licensed, Muppet Replicas Coming!

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by BigDumbWookiee, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

Nothing has been set yet, but I know some of the people involved in this project are pushing for it to come with a display case. Of course, that would add to the price.

:p
  2. BigDumbWookiee

BigDumbWookiee New Member

Yeah, the display case thing seems to always come up with MR. Big cases like this (like what would be needed for Kermit) drive up the costs dramatically. So then people complain because it's too expensive. But people also get mad because it doesn't have a case. Although Im thinking since this is a new line, there really isn't that precedent there that came with the Star Wars products. The other option is to offer it as a side product.

People are pretty upset that the YWing doesn't have a case either, but Steve D from MR did hint at something being in the works to help preserve the piece (not his exact words, sorry, cant find the quote now).
  3. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

Sign me up for a Kermit replica and display case. I'm definitely getting one! :)

I still have a hard time understanding how this cheapens Kermit and makes it less special to see the real Kermit. After all, these are still just replicas. What makes Kermit Kermit isn't the ping pong ball eyes, the felt collar, and some green cloth. What makes Kermit Kermit is his heart and soul and personality which is given by the performer. Without their contribution you still have just cloth put together. So to see the real Kermit would still be special. I think I'm smart enough to know the difference between a soul-less replica sitting in a display case and the real Kermit.
  4. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

5. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

6. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Yer a gentleman and a scholar! :) Thank you.
  7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think I would almost rather just have the Kermit come alone because, since I saw the post by Greg above with the picture, I may have to just move myself into a house after all and real soon when/if these do get made to create a nice little scene!!

I REALLY do like that, because he's just awesome!

Now, if I can move Steve Whitmire into my house with this thing so he can talk to me as well, I'll be living high on the hog (sorry, Piggy).
  8. Muppetfreak

Muppetfreak Member

I have but a few things to say on this topic and I will say them in list form:

-Love the replica. Will likely be unable to afford or fit into house.
    -To those who say that Jim would never have agreeded to something like this, I would recommend you read one of his biographies. He had a shrine to the almightly dollar in his office. And lest you forget, I must remind you all that the Muppets licensed STASH BOXES a year or two ago. 'Nuff said.
    -To those that are decrying the sanctity of the puppet itself, it was Jim Henson himself who placed as little importance on the physical puppet as possible. He would toss them around without a care from what I've read. The soul is not the felt but the spirit of the character.
    -Having worked at Sesame and seen drawers of puppets off of people's hands and then Kevin ad libbing with Elmo, they can hand out the actual puppets to random people on the street and it won't make a bit of difference. Its talent and a little magic that makes those characters real and having one in your house isn't going to take that away.

The best thing about this though is Disney is showing a marked understanding that the Muppets are not just for kids because something like this is definately targeted to adult collectors/fans.

(Notice how I keep posting all these really long posts today and yet I have gotten ZERO words written for NaNoWrMo!!!!)
  9. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

In fact, I once asked Jim about that very thing. I was going to post this in another thread about how the puppets themselves have changed over the years, but here is equally as appropriate.

My feeling is that some of the personality is in the puppet itself. I still think the original Ernie and Cookie Monster had something that was lost when they were rebuilt. But Jim disagreed. The puppet was only a vessel for the performer, who breathed life into it.

:p
  10. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

11. wes

wes Active Member

I Agree with ravagefrackle We need to see the Muppets do more (wich i blieve is coming) as far as movies, Tv show, speacial, ect..

I geuss what most of us don't want to see is the Muppets Become some Big Joke, sort of like evryone having Fully Licensed Muppet Replicas, like the Star wars franchise did.

PS:no offense to the Die Hard Star Wars Fans Everywhere
    True Love:)
  12. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

Why would the Muppets be a "big joke" if about 2000 people owned a replica? It's like having a very detailed plush version of the character.
  13. wes

wes Active Member

I Guess I mean How to some People look at the lord of the rings and Star Wars Collector, they make jokes on late night show make spooffs,ect..
    now that I think about it...I....I geuss imiation is the cencerist form of flattery
    and I geuss the Muppets Are Just getting that big, and I have never Been a fan of something that's big:confused:

But I guess I'll just have to get use to it!:)
  14. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

Apparently you missed the whole 70's and early 80's. The Muppets were huge than. Huge, I say.
  15. wes

wes Active Member

alas, I was but a mere Child born In 1980, I remember Fraggle Rock and Muppet Babies, But I have been a die hard Muppet Fan, even throught the rough time (the 90's) Jim's Death and all:cry:
  16. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i am so buying this kermit and anyother muppet they sell i bought their lightsabers and im very happy with them anyone know when they will be available:)
  17. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

18. Luke

Luke Active Member

I agree with RavageFrackle for the most part, standing up - that Kermit looks like a very freaky poser Muppet. I think they've been a little more careful with the sitting down picture that Gelfing has, they've experimented with the pose to find the one that looks most "Kermitty" but it's still not great. I imagine the "original patterns" they have been given are the patterns of the poser and not the puppet. I don't like the idea of this replica business although it's not quite as bad as if they put out replica puppets, but that's probably not too far behind. I think it does cheapen the integrity (just like having a different performer for real local Muppet appearances) and is creepy.

It seems like Disney are all about the merchandise first, and TV/Film projects second with this Muppet aquisition. Yes, new projects take time but i wonder if they are just being made to sell the collectables rather than the other way around. The Muppet Holding Company is a division of Disney Consumer Products right? ;-) Some of the merchandise is looking pretty good though, i admit.
  19. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

What if they just called these realistic life size dolls? Would that make you feel better?

It's not really any different then those life size busts you can buy and stuff like that. It just happens to be a ull body puppet.

BTW, I think it looks pretty bad myself. Face is off and the body looks weird. Doesn't look like original patterns to me.
  20. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

It still looks like a stuffed plush... I don't see a great likeness. I wouldn't mind owning one if it looked better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.