Caped Crusader: New Batman Film Rumors

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps this has something to do with the Bat embargo that's placed around everything starring the Caped Crusader? Maybe the embargo--in this case--makes the rouge's gallary (Jack Napier, Harvey Dent, Edward Nygma, Oswald Cobblepot, Salena Kyle, etc.) eclusive to the grittier films and TV series?
That hasn't been an issue in the past so I don't see why it would be one now. Also the film is so far in the future that such a thing wouldn't happen. The animated incarnations are treated as a different sort of animal. :halo:

On another note, Jack Napier was really only a Tim Burton creation (however the alias was briefly referenced on one episode of the animated series).

wwfpooh

Reaction score
That hasn't been an issue in the past so I don't see why it would be one now.
The embargo is an issue at times. For instance, I believe it states that unless The Bat is the main star--or at least, one of the main stars--he can only be referenced towards (i.e. alluded to). This explains why only his shadow is seen in an episode of Teen Titans when Robin's history is being told (that is, because The Bat was not one of the stars in the show, he couldn't truly appear, due to the embargo). This same set of rules applies to the various Wonder Woman (and Wonder Girl) characters, whether they be Princess Diana, Donna Troy, or Cassie Sandsmark.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The embargo is an issue at times. For instance, I believe it states that unless The Bat is the main star--or at least, one of the main stars--he can only be referenced towards (i.e. alluded to). This explains why only his shadow is seen in an episode of Teen Titans when Robin's history is being told (that is, because The Bat was not one of the stars in the show, he couldn't truly appear, due to the embargo). This same set of rules applies to the various Wonder Woman (and Wonder Girl) characters, whether they be Princess Diana, Donna Troy, or Cassie Sandsmark.
I see where you're going but those are rights issues with DC within the animation realm in order to differentiate different cartoon projects (Teen Titans and The Batman). It has little or no bearing on the live action counterpart. I'm glad Batman and Wonder Woman don't appear in that program. I really don't like the Jap-anime-nga version of Titans.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I'm glad Batman and Wonder Woman don't appear in that program. I really don't like the Jap-anime-nga version of Titans.
Wonder Girl--Donna Troy--did an easter egg cameo though in "Homecoming Part II" within the hero line-up (as a nod to comic fans who know the history of the show & the comics that inspired it). As to The Bat, considering how The Batman has their Robin practically identical to the Titans Robin, I am pretty sure that The Batman--were he to appear in Teen Titans (which he didn't, save his shadow & a few references)--would be drawn in a similar fashion.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I see where you're going but those are rights issues with DC within the animation realm in order to differentiate different cartoon projects (Teen Titans and The Batman). It has little or no bearing on the live action counterpart. I'm glad Batman and Wonder Woman don't appear in that program. I really don't like the Jap-anime-nga version of Titans.
Let me explain, I think the problem with TT is the Japanese Anime influence off put quite a few viewers off. I think that the writing far outshines that odd quirk, but it could have done without the weird "Super Deformer" double takes (which aren't in every anime mind you). I think they could have done the same show without that stuff, and it would have been just as good. And there ARE a lot of cartoons that have anime influences... Invader Zim and the new TMNT (which even featured a shot by shot Akira scene reconstruction... brilliant!) without LOOKING exactly like them.

That said, the writing on the show made it better than it could have been. The titans all had nice chemestry with each other, and they really acted like Teenagers who happen to be superheroes. The show (Super Deformers aside) featured some great playful scenes between the group.

Unlike Legion of Superheroes. Which was that show's main problem. It wanted to be Teen Titans without being Teen Titans. The characters all seemed to not want to be there, and the playful teenagers were replaced by attitude ridden angsty teenagers. I really hoped to see a lot more playful stuff between Brainiac and Bouncing Boy... similar to Cyborg and Beast Boy in TT... but it was really slap dash, and took itself too seriously. And the playful moments even seemed grim. A good action show, IMO, is action AND comedy. I feel you can't be a true superhero without heart (Batman of course, is more of a vigilante... and there was some comedy in Batman TAS... albiet dark stuff from the Joker was most of it. But there was a playful attitude between Bruce and Alfred).

Of course, Legion didn't know what it was UNTIL second season, when they show really took off. Too bad Warners killed it before its time. but then again Legion was plagued with problems at the start. The Superboy thing comes to mind. For some stupid legal reason, they couldn't use Superboy, and had to make it Superman... but Superman is technically too young....

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Let me explain, I think the problem with TT is the Japanese Anime influence off put quite a few viewers off. I think that the writing far outshines that odd quirk, but it could have done without the weird "Super Deformer" double takes (which aren't in every anime mind you). I think they could have done the same show without that stuff, and it would have been just as good. And there ARE a lot of cartoons that have anime influences... Invader Zim and the new TMNT (which even featured a shot by shot Akira scene reconstruction... brilliant!) without LOOKING exactly like them.

That said, the writing on the show made it better than it could have been. The titans all had nice chemestry with each other, and they really acted like Teenagers who happen to be superheroes. The show (Super Deformers aside) featured some great playful scenes between the group.

Unlike Legion of Superheroes. Which was that show's main problem. It wanted to be Teen Titans without being Teen Titans. The characters all seemed to not want to be there, and the playful teenagers were replaced by attitude ridden angsty teenagers. I really hoped to see a lot more playful stuff between Brainiac and Bouncing Boy... similar to Cyborg and Beast Boy in TT... but it was really slap dash, and took itself too seriously. And the playful moments even seemed grim. A good action show, IMO, is action AND comedy. I feel you can't be a true superhero without heart (Batman of course, is more of a vigilante... and there was some comedy in Batman TAS... albiet dark stuff from the Joker was most of it. But there was a playful attitude between Bruce and Alfred).

Of course, Legion didn't know what it was UNTIL second season, when they show really took off. Too bad Warners killed it before its time. but then again Legion was plagued with problems at the start. The Superboy thing comes to mind. For some stupid legal reason, they couldn't use Superboy, and had to make it Superman... but Superman is technically too young....
Super-Deformer. That's it. That's what really is odd about the show from a Western perspective and breaks me out of the world they have constructed. It just causes me to roll my eyes and give up. It's not like a specific character's quirk like they give Gir in Zim. As non-linear as that show can be I am able to enjoy it. But something like Teen Titans that has a legacy behind it should have more majesty IMHO. It's like they've made it into Cheez Wiz or that Velveeta substance. It's kind of like the real thing, but really ends up more of a cheap imitation. I do like some of the character design on Titans. Cyborg is the strongest, Beast Boy is the weakest (appearing too twink-manga influenced for my taste).

You are on-the-nose about Legion. I did like the character design, but they all appeared annoyed to be there - like they had something better to do. It could have been great. The Superboy title was also a little strange. I understand that it was another one of those technical rights issues. The whole concept of this alternate telling was a little weird, but more fans would have been willing to go with it if they writers had given the characters a better sense of camaraderie.

I suppose to me there's a Japanese-influenced animation line. Some just goes too goofy even for me. I was just reading how The Dark Knight wasn't playing as strongly in Japan! I believe it has something to do with Japanese culture being significantly harder and more rigid than it is in the Western world so many like their entertainment to be more spontaneous, escapist and less gritty. Fine classic films like The French Connection never played well over there either. I think that hits the nail on the head of it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Super-Deformer. That's it. That's what really is odd about the show from a Western perspective and breaks me out of the world they have constructed. It just causes me to roll my eyes and give up. It's not like a specific character's quirk like they give Gir in Zim. As non-linear as that show can be I am able to enjoy it. But something like Teen Titans that has a legacy behind it should have more majesty IMHO. It's like they've made it into Cheez Wiz or that Velveeta substance. It's kind of like the real thing, but really ends up more of a cheap imitation. I do like some of the character design on Titans. Cyborg is the strongest, Beast Boy is the weakest (appearing too twink-manga influenced for my taste).
But then again, for comic book heroes I gravitate towards The Tick or the Teenage mutant Ninja Turtles, or Groo the Wanderer... And personally, I like Batman more than anyone else from DC...

Personally, what I LOVED about the Teen Titans series was the non-liniar villain fighting. It wasn't the same old... something happens, they call the heroes, they fight the villains unsuccessfully then they fight the villains again successfully plot line. Some of the best episodes of that series where them fighting the main villain in the cold opening and then having to deal with something with more depth to it later.

I think TT's main problem was they used it to do something experimental, and Super Deformers (as cute as they were in the merchandise) would be as out of place as if they did Roger Rabbit eyes popping out of their heads and jaws dropping to the floor.

Personally, what I liked was the abstact stuff like in thre Mad Mod and Larry episodes. If they used more Yellow Submarine influence and less Lucky Star (or something to that extent) it would have really popped.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Personally, what I LOVED about the Teen Titans series was the non-liniar villain fighting. It wasn't the same old... something happens, they call the heroes, they fight the villains unsuccessfully then they fight the villains again successfully plot line.
Plus, unlike her comic self, people actually would feel sorry for Terra. :stick_out_tongue:

as if they did Roger Rabbit eyes popping out of their heads and jaws dropping to the floor
And I do believe they did do that at times. :big_grin:

The Superboy thing comes to mind. For some stupid legal reason, they couldn't use Superboy.
Incidentally, in the Titan comics being produced around the same time as the show, Superboy--Conner Kent--was a regular member! :smile:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I think it's important to remember that not every anime has the super deformed and/or random chibi moments that Teen Titans seemed to feature so heavily. It really seemed as though Teen Titans was really trying to exploit that. But it also seemed to be marketed towards a younger audience, so perhaps whoever was in charge of animation for the show must have believed it would appeal to that audience.

From what I understand (and what little I have seen) the Batman: Gotham Knights DVD features a completely anime style of Batman. Not facefaults or oversized sweatdrops.

And as far as the seriousness of Batman lately, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, I prefer the serious Batman. As much as I don't want to step on people's toes by dissing a childhood favorite of many, the live action, Adam West version of Batman from the 60s, it's just not the Batman I'm used to. Batman was originally a much darker comic than people give it credit for. There are quite a few reasons the franchise changed, but it just seemed wrong to me to see comic book covers of Superman, Batman, and Robin playing baseball. That seemed like such a dark time for comics, if you ask me. :smirk:

I remember hearing someone on TV say something along the lines of "Oh, Batman just isn't Batman without Robin there!" and "I won't go see the new movie because it doesn't have Robin." But my feelings are just the opposite. Having Robin there is mostly unneeded. Yes, he gave Batman someone to talk to, but I see more appeal in a more silent caped crusader. I'm not completely anti-Robin, but I prefer the franchise without him.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
And were they to really exist, Dick, Tim, and especially Jason would agree with you (I don't know about Stephanie or Cassie, though). XD