Caped Crusader: New Batman Film Rumors

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think it's important to remember that not every anime has the super deformed and/or random chibi moments that Teen Titans seemed to feature so heavily. It really seemed as though Teen Titans was really trying to exploit that. But it also seemed to be marketed towards a younger audience, so perhaps whoever was in charge of animation for the show must have believed it would appeal to that audience.

From what I understand (and what little I have seen) the Batman: Gotham Knights DVD features a completely anime style of Batman. Not facefaults or oversized sweatdrops.

And as far as the seriousness of Batman lately, which was mentioned earlier in the thread, I prefer the serious Batman. As much as I don't want to step on people's toes by dissing a childhood favorite of many, the live action, Adam West version of Batman from the 60s, it's just not the Batman I'm used to. Batman was originally a much darker comic than people give it credit for. There are quite a few reasons the franchise changed, but it just seemed wrong to me to see comic book covers of Superman, Batman, and Robin playing baseball. That seemed like such a dark time for comics, if you ask me. :smirk:

I remember hearing someone on TV say something along the lines of "Oh, Batman just isn't Batman without Robin there!" and "I won't go see the new movie because it doesn't have Robin." But my feelings are just the opposite. Having Robin there is mostly unneeded. Yes, he gave Batman someone to talk to, but I see more appeal in a more silent caped crusader. I'm not completely anti-Robin, but I prefer the franchise without him.
I agree. Batman is dark (cloaked mainly by night), Superman is light (the dude is charged by the sun - can't get lighter than that). Making a joking pranking Batman just isn't right. Adam West's take, while funny, was a comedic one that reflected the trippy times. I like West, but don't think that Batman needs to ever come back in new projects. Robin...well neither Nolan nor Bale are interested in that character. Bale has insisted that he would have no part of a Batman film with the Boy Wonder. I like him okay, but he's best held back a bit. I like that The Batman introduced Batgirl first.

I have friends that like nearly all anime and manga and others that won't give any of it a chance. I was disappointed in Miyazaki's Spirited Away, but greatly enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle. Still, I prefer 24 frame animation over the 6-12 featured in his films. Nonetheless, I am willing to give most entertainment a chance. There are only a few properties where I put my foot down (the horrible Tyler Perry comedies and narcissistic Steven Seagal movies being two of them). If the story and characters look good I'm game to give it a try!

Gotham Knight was beautiful and I enjoyed much of the style. My only issue was with the lack of substance to the stories. I felt the directors should have followed the action in the fringes rather than the stories they settled on. It's something I will watch while listening to music.

Another update on the Caped Crusader. Apparently that is the working title for the third installment, but nothing has reportedly been penned yet. The Cher rumor also appears to be just that - a rumor. Depp has verbally denied being cast as the Riddler, but says it would be something of interest to him.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
There are only a few properties where I put my foot down (the horrible Tyler Perry comedies).
I hear from the cast that the crank out like three episodes a week and rehearse right there on the set right before actually filing the show. And you know what? It shows...:stick_out_tongue:

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I agree. Batman is dark (cloaked mainly by night), Superman is light (the dude is charged by the sun - can't get lighter than that). Making a joking pranking Batman just isn't right. Adam West's take, while funny, was a comedic one that reflected the trippy times. I like West, but don't think that Batman needs to ever come back in new projects.
Well said! I agree.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Ditto. Batman was created to be a dark character, anyhow.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Adam West & Batman

I think that Adam West, however known for camp, is still very much respected in media today. The Batman honored him for four seasons as the voice of Gotham’s Mayor, Marion Grange. Batman: The Animated Series honored him as the voice of Bruce Wayne's inspiration for Batman - the Gray Ghost. The Family guy cast him as Mayor West in the series. He always cracks me up there. I also remember him in a slew of very funny advertisements before William Shatner became the cornball commercial icon he is today. I am glad West did his Batman, and I actually watched his film with my partner last month, but I feel that take already had its day and has been recorded for posterity.

I am so thankful for Nolan's Batman. Begins wasn't an easy sell for me at first. The first promotional spots had me longing for Burton's dark-pop-artsy take on the character. Nolan's take was thoughtfully crafted and interpreted from the source. The basis for his decisions thus far has had firm roots in both reality and Batman's lengthy illustrated origins. Burton’s was rooted in personal aesthetic whim. It still bugs me how he looks down on comic books when he owes much of his success to them. Nolan's Batman is Batman IMHO.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
If you had to choose, whose would it be: Burton or Nolan?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose, whose would it be: Burton or Nolan?
In an alternate world where pizza is a health food, soda comes from water fountains and I am a film director...I would set my sites somewhere between Nolan and Burton's Batman, but more on the Nolan side. I prefer Tim Burton's playful visual style, but I like Nolan's adherence to the material, character development and grit. I would say 20% Burton 80% Nolan. :batty:

Teheheman

Reaction score
I know that Adam West's Batman has had his day in the sun, but Adam West was the original Batman(Not counting the original black and white ones of course) I personally think that if anything Nolan should put him in the next movie as an uncle or as the dad of a villain or something like that. Maybe even a villain, that would be unexpected. Maybe he could be a new villain who had a vendetta against his family and won't rest until they're all dead or something. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Daniel