Caped Crusader: New Batman Film Rumors

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Especially considering how The Cat & Bat have had an on-off relationship (or something akin to one) in the comics, both in their superhero/villain forms & in their charitable billionaire/animal rights activist forms.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's no secret that 2009 will be a lighter year for films due to the writers' strike and that 2010 is likely to be overloaded with motion pictures. I would agree that 2011 seems most likely.
Light maybe... after all, there clearly are crappy films they can throw together... there has to be 5 more block buster films this year they can squeeze into 3 of those terrible parody movies.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Hopefully, FR isn't one of them. I want it to be a blockbuster yes, but not if it turns into a mockery of what the franchise stands for.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'm surprised Nolan doesn't like Harley. This is a guy who had a whole scene with stupid Batman-wannabes playing dress-up and he can't even make her a Joker devotee?

I'd still like to see a duo or trio of femme fatales (Cat, Ivy, Harley). We haven't really addressed love/lust in a Nolan Bat-verse yet, and they'd be perfect in getting "boo-hoo" Bruce on the rebound.

:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm surprised Nolan doesn't like Harley. This is a guy who had a whole scene with stupid Batman-wannabes playing dress-up and he can't even make her a Joker devotee?
Don't get me wrong. i like Harley too. I even loved how they worked her into the new The Batman series (even though she was only in 2 episodes before it got cancelled... thanks Warners!) but she was a character that appeared in The Animated Series that just caught on so well, she became part of the Batman comics. If they added her to the new movies, it would be fan service and nothing more. I can see her playing a more naive role, similar to Misa Misa in Death Note.. a crazed fangirl type, but nothing more.

If the Justice League movie would get made, she would do a lot better in that. If her and Mr. J were to get a breif cameo in that sort of a film, it would work. Something tells me, this wouldn't work here. Though, I would tend to think that a "Harley" character, a member of the Joker's gang that looks like her, but isn't mentioned by name and doesn't have any lines would kinda be a nice nod to fans.

Sort of like how Bebop and Rocksteady shouldn't be in the new Turtles cartoon, but it would have been great to have seen their human (pre-mutation) counterparts as members of the Purple Dragons. Again, not mentioned by name, and without lines.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Sort of like how Bebop and Rocksteady shouldn't be in the new Turtles cartoon, but it would have been great to have seen their human (pre-mutation) counterparts as members of the Purple Dragons. Again, not mentioned by name, and without lines.
And like how I feel Sally should cameo in the future Sonic series. Granted, it's based around the games, but let us not forget that Sally did cameo in games (Sonic Spinball & Sonic 16/Sonic Mars) & that her inspiration was derived from the very first Sonic game produced (which--incidentally, following Sonic's core development in Hawaii--debuted first in America, just as did the first-ever TV appearance of the blue blur [which would make him "a real American", even though the Japanese then used him for the games in which he starred]).

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. i like Harley too. I even loved how they worked her into the new The Batman series (even though she was only in 2 episodes before it got cancelled... thanks Warners!) but she was a character that appeared in The Animated Series that just caught on so well, she became part of the Batman comics. If they added her to the new movies, it would be fan service and nothing more. I can see her playing a more naive role, similar to Misa Misa in Death Note.. a crazed fangirl type, but nothing more.

If the Justice League movie would get made, she would do a lot better in that. If her and Mr. J were to get a breif cameo in that sort of a film, it would work. Something tells me, this wouldn't work here. Though, I would tend to think that a "Harley" character, a member of the Joker's gang that looks like her, but isn't mentioned by name and doesn't have any lines would kinda be a nice nod to fans.

Harley is in more than two episodes of The Batman, but not nearly enough. They brought her in to late. I have all 5 seasons on DVD. I don't consider it cancelled. Most series of that sort last up to 5 seasons and then they tie things up. It was clear to me that all of the last season was going for broke.

I'm not sure how I like the new lighter Batman: the Brave and the Bold cartoon they're coming out with this fall. I don't see how it could live up to Batman the Animated Series (the gold standard) or The Batman (nearly perfect aside from jacking the Freeze origin). The new minds behind it report that Brave and Bold is designed to be less moody and more kid friendly. Ugh. We'll see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Harley is in more than two episodes of The Batman, but not nearly enough. They brought her in to late. I have all 5 seasons on DVD. I don't consider it cancelled. Most series of that sort last up to 5 seasons and then they tie things up. It was clear to me that all of the last season was going for broke.
Personally, I think it could have and should have had a 6th season. I think they ended the series very well, doing away with Hugo Strange, but it seems like so much ground could have been covered in that season, instead of the Brave and the Bold practice run they had. You know, since most of the episodes were JLA team ups (which basically ammounted to "let's see who we can draw in The Batman style" for me). I think the show started out right, then they added Batgirl (which was a huge mistake, if you ask me...). I mean, Batgril pretty much came off as (if anyone has seen Jackie Chan Adventures) an older, Caucasian version of Jade (considering the same people worked on both shows, right down to the character desi9gners). I think season 4 was the turn around that made the show better (when they added Harley, etc.)

As for Brave and the Bold:

I'm not sure how I like the new lighter Batman: the Brave and the Bold cartoon they're coming out with this fall. I don't see how it could live up to Batman the Animated Series (the gold standard) or The Batman (nearly perfect aside from jacking the Freeze origin). The new minds behind it report that Brave and Bold is designed to be less moody and more kid friendly. Ugh. We'll see.
I actually kinda find it refreshing they DON'T have to make this Batman series dark to coincide with any of the films. I mean, Batman TAS had a lot of the Tim Burton films in it, and The Batman was clearly inspired by Batman Begins (considering Lucious Fox became a character... plus the first season reflected the movie's tone a bit more than the other seasons).

Personally, I'm loving the art style behind it. And I think it brings back sort of a Super Friends type feel, but with more sophisticated comic book backings. Plus, they finally gave Plasticman a cartoon show... considering the hillarious Plastic Man pilot went unsold.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... What if Harley got treated somewhat similarly in the next movie to her appearance/role in the Birds of Prey live series?

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I actually kinda find it refreshing they DON'T have to make this Batman series dark to coincide with any of the films.
Perhaps Brave & Bold is returning to wear it all began...the campy, 60's style Batman known on TV & in the first film as being portrayed by West.