Classic SS Character Questions

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... Here's the next batch of character questions I got from my tapes.

Episode 2256: This episode features Elmo and his baby doll. The thing is he named his baby doll David after David (Northern Calloway). So Elmo reasoned that David would have to change his name to Dustin, which he already told everyone else on SS to call him.
First of, in the scene at Hooper's Store where Elmo tells David about the name change...
There's this male AM who comes in and asks for a "coffee black, to go".
There's also a female AM who comes in and asks for a cherry soda.
(She kind of sounds like Miss Belle from Dog City).
Should these be added? If so, under what entry heading?
he Cookies, from Cookie Monster's nightmare when he stays over at Bert and Ernie's for the night.
Should these be added?
There's this segment towards the end with Kermit and a human girl named Tracy counting to 10.
Is her name spelled "T-R-A-C-Y" or "T-R-A-C-E-Y"?
Should she be added?

FUrthermore, Bob then reads the story of The Turtle Who Wanted to Make Friends.
There's a turtle here voiced by Jim Henson named Shelly.
Is it spelled "S-H-E-L-L-Y" or "S-H-E-L-L-E-Y"?
How does this turtle differ from the entry already listed as Sheldon the Turtle?
And should Shelly/Shelley be added?
Also, from that same story...
Should the rabbit that appears be added?
Should the caterpillar that appears be added?
Should Casey be added, and what animal is Casey anyway?
Any others from this story that should be added?

Hope to hear from you guys soon and have a good day.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Count said:
he Cookies, from Cookie Monster's nightmare when he stays over at Bert and Ernie's for the night.
Should these be added?
They probably should be added. I am not sure if they ever appeared in any other sketch, so I don't think you would have them listed.

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
The Count said:
The Cookies, from Cookie Monster's nightmare when he stays over at Bert and Ernie's for the night.
Should these be added?
There's this segment towards the end with Kermit and a human girl named Tracy counting to 10.
Is her name spelled "T-R-A-C-Y" or "T-R-A-C-E-Y"?
Should she be added?
The Nightmare Cookies (one of them looked a lot like Pac Man) should be added as well as Tracy, which is spelled T-R-A-C-Y.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
FUrthermore, Bob then reads the story of The Turtle Who Wanted to Make Friends.
There's a turtle here voiced by Jim Henson named Shelly.
Is it spelled "S-H-E-L-L-Y" or "S-H-E-L-L-E-Y"?
How does this turtle differ from the entry already listed as Sheldon the Turtle?
And should Shelly/Shelley be added?

If "Sheldon" in your list is the Marty Robinson character, then I'd say that they are one and the same. I guess Marty adopted the character from him. And most of the time, he's referred to as "Shelly". However, I never saw the segment (yet!), but it sounds like they're the same Muppet.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... Boober_Gorg, who first suggested this episode to me, said that it was a different turtle than either Sheldon or Tony and this one was voiced by Jim Henson instead. So I expressed interest and got it from him.
Guess that means the others from that story sketch should go on the backburner then?
Well, will post after I get the rest of the questions alligned.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Well... Boober_Gorg, who first suggested this episode to me, said that it was a different turtle than either Sheldon or Tony and this one was voiced by Jim Henson instead. So I expressed interest and got it from him.

There's a third turtle? Does anyone know what he looks like?

Also, you might want to consider changing "Sheldon" to "Shelly", since that's what he's referred to most of the time. (In fact, I've never heard him referred to as "Sheldon".)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, here are all the Classic SS Character questions I have from my third tape...

From Episode 2256.
After Elmo comes in and tells David that his new baby doll is named David too, Elmo then tells Northern Calloway's character that he's now named Dustin and Elmo told everyone on SS to call him Dustin.
1 There's a male AM character who comes in and asks for a "coffee black, to go".
2 There's a female AM character who asks for a cherry soda, sounds like Miss Belle from Dog City.
Should these be added to the list? If so, under what entry heading/name?
From Episode 2257.
OK, I know that we won't get the actor's names from this episode, but here are some other questions.
3 Should the following, seen when Luis was in Dr. Elliot's office's waiting area, be added?
The Secretary, as Dr. Elliot's Secretary?
The Child Patient, as Dr. Elliot's Patient?
That Child's Mother, as Dr. Elliot's Patient's Mother?
4 The Number 4 Cheerleaders. This sketch appears in Spanish in this episode.
Who are they? Should they be added to the list?
5 The Ballad of Casey McPhee.
Already have Cookie Monster as Casey McPhee.
Are there any other characters from this song/sketch missing? If so, should they be added?
6 From the song "In The Quiet of the Evening" sung by Kermit.
There was a bullfrog that showed up, which Kermit called "Uncle Ben". Should he be added?
Me thinks there was a mockingbird also mentioned in the song, should it be added?
If there were any other animals in the song, what were they and should they be added?
From Episode 2269.
Again, won't get the actor's names, but here are some questions anyway.
7 Candy Cane Lane.
There was a distinct "Lady" and "Man" that Oscar approached to try all his tricks on.
They didn't show any surprise or anger, thus frustrating Oscar, even getting his name wrong.
Should these two be added? If so, under what entry heading/name?
8 During this first segment of Oscar's stay on Candy Cane Lane, there were three other "passers-by".
The first two just kept walking past Oscar when he tried to get their attention, before he moved on to the duo asked about above. The third man came by at the end of the same segment.
Should these be added? If so, under what entry heading/name?
9 There was an AM family made up of a dad, mom, son, and daughter who kept rearranging themselves.
The Dad was Jim, the Mom sounded like Caroll I guess, the Son was Jerry, and the Daughter I don't rully know.
They grouped themselves into 2 grown-ups and 2 kids, 2 with hats and 2 without, etc.
From Episode 2277.
This episode starts out with Telly's own TV show, TellyVision.
10 Who was the female AM in charge of the set, who counted down from 5 when the show came back from "commercials"? Should she be added? If so, under what entry heading/name?
11 From the soap opera spoof, All My Letters, should the following be added?
Victor.
Vivian.
Walter the Vegetable Vampire.
12 Little Freddy Smith, from the Super Grover sketch in this episode, trapped at the playground until he found the Exit sign. Should he be added?
13 Ricky, talked about Big Bird and some kids passing through a giant U as "unbelievable".
Was this Billy Crystal's SNL parody character of Lenny from Laverne & Shirley?
If so, should he not be added to the list, seeing as how he belongs to the SNL pantheon of characters?
From Episode 2367.
14 There was a well-done alphabet operetta in this episode. Who performed this song?
Should they be added? If so, under what entry heading/name?
15 In a segment, Gordon and Linda were waiting for their bus after the previous one already left.
Snuffy then shows up and takes them to the Snuffle-Bus Stop.
The SnuffleUp-a-Bus Driver, should this character be added?
Should the rest of the Snuffle class on that bus be added also?
16 There was a sketch here and in 2277 about Luis and María, and then Bob stranded on a desert island.
They eventually got back after taking Bob's paddles to the ends of the island and rowing it back.
17 The character I have as "Catherine O'Hara Muppet" appeared in this episode, though the sketch was in Spanish. In English, her voice sounds like the purported actress, Miss O'Hara, to me.
This is the sketch where the female AM Muppet teaches about the number 11, and how it looks the same upside-down turning the entire scene and her little chalkboard upside-down.
Should she remain as "Catherine O'Hara Muppet"? If not, then how should she be properly named?
From Episode 2407.
18 There's a song here, not sure, could be "Perfect Pearl White Teeth".
Is the fish who sings it a shark? If so, should it be added?
And should it be identified as distinct from the Shark already listed from Bert and Ernie's Fishing Trip?
19 Professor D. Rabbit, is this his correct name?
Should he be added? Showed up to help Mumford with pulling a rabbit out of his hat.
20 Tanya, this was a girl who talked about "HELP" with Grover, relieving him of holding up the sign with the word itself. Should she be added?
21 The Sesame Street Cooking Choir, came in at the end of Don Music's stint when trying to add some mood music at Hooper's Store. Should these be added?
22 There was another Harvey Kneeslapper sketch here, could be noted as "Wanna See Something Funny?"
Was the victim a different AM then the ones already discussed?
If so, should he be added as Harvey Kneeslapper's Victim #3?
23 Sam, this was a guy who danced with Gina I think. Their boombox shorted out, and Hoots came by to provide some sax music so they could keep dancing.
Should this guy be added?
From Episode 2486.
23 From the game show Where Do I Belong.
Should the Cow be added as a separate entry?
Should Bill be added as just that, or as "Bill the Announcer"?
That's all I got, hope to hear from you guys soon and have a good weekend.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
From Episode 2256.
After Elmo comes in and tells David that his new baby doll is named David too, Elmo then tells Northern Calloway's character that he's now named Dustin and Elmo told everyone on SS to call him Dustin.
1 There's a male AM character who comes in and asks for a "coffee black, to go".
2 There's a female AM character who asks for a cherry soda, sounds like Miss Belle from Dog City.
Should these be added to the list? If so, under what entry heading/name?

They sound too obscure to list, so no.

From Episode 2257.

3 Should the following, seen when Luis was in Dr. Elliot's office's waiting area, be added?
The Secretary, as Dr. Elliot's Secretary?
The Child Patient, as Dr. Elliot's Patient?
That Child's Mother, as Dr. Elliot's Patient's Mother?

I wouldn't count the kid and his mother; given the situation, it's sort of like those "kid/Muppet" segments; they don't exactly seem to be in the Muppet universe. (In other words, I have no idea how to explain. :smirk: You could get a second opinion.) The only one I'd positively add is the secretary.

4 The Number 4 Cheerleaders. This sketch appears in Spanish in this episode.
Who are they? Should they be added to the list?

They are four AMs in blue sweaters. They're similar to the "F" cheerleaders, but the orange one is male with a tuft of blond hair; the green one is female with an orange pigtail.

5 The Ballad of Casey McPhee.
Already have Cookie Monster as Casey McPhee.
Are there any other characters from this song/sketch missing? If so, should they be added?

There were two cows, two AM engineers, and the Balladeer (an elderly lavendar AM).

6 From the song "In The Quiet of the Evening" sung by Kermit.
There was a bullfrog that showed up, which Kermit called "Uncle Ben". Should he be added?
Me thinks there was a mockingbird also mentioned in the song, should it be added?
If there were any other animals in the song, what were they and should they be added?

I believe the bullfrog was seen, so yes.

The other animals seen were Rocky, a gray dog (owned by Polly Darton from the song "I'm Wavin' Goodbye To You With My Heart"), a brown bear (the same one from the Rhymies sketch) and Butch the Tiger. The mockingbird was never seen, so it probably shouldn't be listed. (And since the previously mentioned animals are already listed, that counts them out.)

From Episode 2269.
7 Candy Cane Lane.
There was a distinct "Lady" and "Man" that Oscar approached to try all his tricks on.
They didn't show any surprise or anger, thus frustrating Oscar, even getting his name wrong.
Should these two be added? If so, under what entry heading/name?
8 During this first segment of Oscar's stay on Candy Cane Lane, there were three other "passers-by".
The first two just kept walking past Oscar when he tried to get their attention, before he moved on to the duo asked about above. The third man came by at the end of the same segment.

How about you call them all "The Citizens of Candy Cane Lane"?

9 There was an AM family made up of a dad, mom, son, and daughter who kept rearranging themselves.
The Dad was Jim, the Mom sounded like Caroll I guess, the Son was Jerry, and the Daughter I don't rully know.
They grouped themselves into 2 grown-ups and 2 kids, 2 with hats and 2 without, etc.

The father was Fat Blue, and the son was Charlie. The other two are too obscure to count.

From Episode 2277.
This episode starts out with Telly's own TV show, TellyVision.
10 Who was the female AM in charge of the set, who counted down from 5 when the show came back from "commercials"? Should she be added? If so, under what entry heading/name?
11 From the soap opera spoof, All My Letters, should the following be added?
Victor.
Vivian.
Walter the Vegetable Vampire.
12 Little Freddy Smith, from the Super Grover sketch in this episode, trapped at the playground until he found the Exit sign. Should he be added?
13 Ricky, talked about Big Bird and some kids passing through a giant U as "unbelievable".
Was this Billy Crystal's SNL parody character of Lenny from Laverne & Shirley?
If so, should he not be added to the list, seeing as how he belongs to the SNL pantheon of characters?

I've never seen this episode, but:

11.) Yes.
12.) Yes. (Anybody know what he looks like?)
13.) Ricky is one of Billy's SNL characters, so he shouldn't be listed.

From Episode 2367.
14 There was a well-done alphabet operetta in this episode. Who performed this song?

15 In a segment, Gordon and Linda were waiting for their bus after the previous one already left.

16 There was a sketch here and in 2277 about Luis and María, and then Bob stranded on a desert island.
They eventually got back after taking Bob's paddles to the ends of the island and rowing it back.

17 The character I have as "Catherine O'Hara Muppet" appeared in this episode, though the sketch was in Spanish. In English, her voice sounds like the purported actress, Miss O'Hara, to me.
This is the sketch where the female AM Muppet teaches about the number 11, and how it looks the same upside-down turning the entire scene and her little chalkboard upside-down.
Should she remain as "Catherine O'Hara Muppet"? If not, then how should she be properly named?

Never seen this show as well, but I do like the name "Catherine O'Hara Muppet". :smile:

From Episode 2407.
18 There's a song here, not sure, could be "Perfect Pearl White Teeth".
Is the fish who sings it a shark? If so, should it be added?
And should it be identified as distinct from the Shark already listed from Bert and Ernie's Fishing Trip?
19 Professor D. Rabbit, is this his correct name?
Should he be added? Showed up to help Mumford with pulling a rabbit out of his hat.
20 Tanya, this was a girl who talked about "HELP" with Grover, relieving him of holding up the sign with the word itself. Should she be added?
21 The Sesame Street Cooking Choir, came in at the end of Don Music's stint when trying to add some mood music at Hooper's Store. Should these be added?
23 Sam, this was a guy who danced with Gina I think. Their boombox shorted out, and Hoots came by to provide some sax music so they could keep dancing.
Should this guy be added?

18) That was a shark, but I thought that we had already discussed labeling him as "The Shark (SS)"; IMO, the same puppet could be identified only if the character is different (such as the Alphabet Shark).
20) Never seen on the street.

22 There was another Harvey Kneeslapper sketch here, could be noted as "Wanna See Something Funny?"
Was the victim a different AM then the ones already discussed?
If so, should he be added as Harvey Kneeslapper's Victim #3?

It's Fat Blue.

From Episode 2486.
23 From the game show Where Do I Belong.
Should the Cow be added as a separate entry?
Should Bill be added as just that, or as "Bill the Announcer"?

If you've got everyone else in "Where Do I Belong", why not the Cow?

But Bill is never seen (and it was probably an ad-lib Jim did).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Will have to go over this again... But here are a few answers.
1 Didn't have the Cow from Where Do I Belong?, cause I never got it in the message another of my sources sent/posted.
2 Bill actually sounds like Jerry's regular announcer voice.
3 Regarding the characters at Hooper's sStore with David (called Dustin in that one episode alone) and the AM family...

You keep comin' with the "too obscure" argument, and I'll keep counterin' with the "completeness" angle.
If we left out the too obscures and obscures and alike, this thing wouldn't be nearly as polished as it stands on my master diskette.
Thanks for the help... Maybe you should talk to B_G to get some of these?
Will see what, if anything, I can do with pics. Not promising anything, will see.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, here are some follow-up questions based on the previous round of answers.

1 From The Ballad of Casey McPhee.
Should "The Engineers" be added?
Or should they be added as "The Train Engineers"?
Should "The Cows" be added?
2 The Citizens of Candy Cane Lane.
Yeah... Could use that...
But my instincts tell me different, since there were the main duo Oscar approached.
And then the additional passers-by.
The Citizens of Candy Cane Lane could, in my opinion, serve best as a group subheading with each member individually listed therein. So, if that helps, how should each Candy Cane Lane citizen be added?
3 The AM Family seen in Episode 2269.
First of all, it wouldn't be "Fat Blue's" family. "Fat Blue" isn't a character name, but rather an AM type designation. And secondly, Mr. Johnson as he's properly known is voiced by Jerry whereas this character in question was voiced by Jim.

The son, if named Charlie, would look odd all by his lonesome if we discount the father as Mr. Johnson (which we know he isn't) and his mom and sister.
So, how would it be best to add this group of characters?
4 The Shark (SS).
Will remain as listed with no added denominational tag.
Just thought I'd ask, since this one sounded to have a different voice than the one in Bert and Ernie's Fishing Trip.
5 There's a character on my list identified as "Solid Citizen Lady, The Amazing Mumford's Assistant (SS)".
What I'm wondering is, does this character exist?
It's just that every time I see a Mumford sketch on these tapes, it's Grover who runs up to assist.
If she does not exist, then please LMK so she can be eliminated.
Or should she remain as an entry in the list?
6 From the sketch hosted by Guy Smiley known as "Here is Your Life, Sneaker!"
The pair of legs, presumably the sneaker's owner...
Is her name spelled "Little Lizzy Hammertoe" or "Hammertoes"?

Remaining Questions.
Episode 2277.
1 Who was the female AM in charge of the set, who counted down from 5 when the show came back from "commercials"? Should she be added? If so, under what entry heading/name?
Episode 2367.
2 There was a well-done alphabet operetta in this episode. Who performed this song?
3 In a segment, Gordon and Linda were waiting for their bus after the previous one already left.
4 There was a sketch here and in 2277 about Luis and María, and then Bob stranded on a desert island.
Episode 2407.
5 Professor D. Rabbit, is this his correct name?
6 The Sesame Street Cooking Choir, came in at the end of Don Music's stint when trying to add some mood music at Hooper's Store. Should these be added?
7 Sam, this was a guy who danced with Gina I think. Their boombox shorted out, and Hoots came by to provide some sax music so they could keep dancing.
Should he be added?

Hope to hear from you guys soon, might try my other reliable overseas source later.
Have a good weekend.