Controversial Topics

Drtooth

Reaction score
I had my first cell phone at 11 (back when cell phones were big and bulky and didn't have video games and apps and such)... but I was RESPONSIBLE. I kept it under wraps, and I only used it when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY... like one day when our crappy bus broke down, and I used it to call my mom to let her know what happened... and other kids were able to use it to call their parents as well... so really, the cell phone saved the day in this case since was in responsible hands.

One the other hand, I don't need or use a cell phone to text message and such... if I want to chat with someone via text, I'll log onto to forums and PM with friends, or a fire up YIM! and chat with one of my contacts.
I believe younger kids should have cels for emergencies and emergencies only. And even if the parents stress that it's only FOR emergencies, some kids WILL use it for other things. Again, some kids will always disobey no matter how well you raise them. I'm more annoyed that they have iPods, iPads, and every video game system on the planet and a laptop. Especially since like more than half of the video games out there are for older gamers. And they give 10 year olds GTA anyway.

That said, if the oil eruption isn't proof that Haliburton is EVIL I don't know what is.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
I had my first cell phone at 11 (back when cell phones were big and bulky and didn't have video games and apps and such)... but I was RESPONSIBLE. I kept it under wraps, and I only used it when ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY... like one day when our crappy bus broke down, and I used it to call my mom to let her know what happened... and other kids were able to use it to call their parents as well... so really, the cell phone saved the day in this case since was in responsible hands.
Ah, yes, I see your point there, but like you said, "since it was in responsible hands." It really all depends on the kid and how responsible they are.

For example, if I were to get one of those iPhone things, I'd probably spend the first week or few days or so calling friends and trying out all the free apps they have (nothing too crazy like prank calling across the world), but after that, I would end up just completely forgetting about it until the car (or metaphorical car, since I'm too young to have a license) breaks down or something.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Kids? What can I say, I'm not having one or two or three or any.

Being a parent is a tough job and I'm not sure how my parents were able to raise my brother and me. Children also cost a lot of money and there are people out there in the world who have kids and can't financially support them or themselves. So it becomes this problem where poverty shows up. It's not the kids fault, just the parents. I hate to say it, but it would be better if people actually got abortions if they know they won't be able to raise their children financially as well as emotionally. You could try to give the child up for adoption after having it, but there are so many children that don't get adopted that I don't know what becomes of them.

I think parents try to do the best they can with their kids and hope they turn out to be good people, but that is not always the case for some.

On kids having cell phones, it's crazy but there are 5 year olds with cell phones in this world. I don't know why kids need a cell phone, especially in school. I can see why it would come in handy when kids are out and about and mom and dad need to check up on them to see if they're okay. But I see too many kids with cell phones in places like schools where they don't need them. If they need to get a hold of someone or if someone needs to get a hold of them while in school, call the office. That's what we did in the old days (15 years ago).

I also think texting is one of the dumbest things you can do with cell phone. If you need to speak to someone, call them.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I hate to say it, but it would be better if people actually got abortions if they know they won't be able to raise their children financially as well as emotionally.
How would it be better to kill a defenseless baby? What would be better is for people to quit having unprotected sex when they know they're not supposed to be doing it in the first place. Whatever happened to saving yourself for marriage? And on top of that, there's this thing called "birth control", it's in the form of a pill, women take it to prevent their eggs from being fertilized... OR, there's this thing called hysterectomies where women can have their ovaries removed, it not only prevents pregnancy, but they don't have to worry about having periods again (my sister could take a hint). Of course men can do something about it too - vasectomies, condoms, etc.

The solution is simply this - society and the media needs to quit glorifying sex all the time, kids needs to quit being pressured into having sex when they're not supposed to, and maybe, just maybe, we'd have a lot less "mistakes" and "b a s t a r d children". The world's getting over-crowded as it is, but if you plan on having kids in life, then talk it over with each other before you act; meanwhile if you don't want kids, then look at your birth control options.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
How would it be better to kill a defenseless baby? What would be better is for people to quit having unprotected sex when they know they're not supposed to be doing it in the first place. Whatever happened to saving yourself for marriage? And on top of that, there's this thing called "birth control", it's in the form of a pill, women take it to prevent their eggs from being fertilized... OR, there's this thing called hysterectomies where women can have their ovaries removed, it not only prevents pregnancy, but they don't have to worry about having periods again (my sister could take a hint). Of course men can do something about it too - vasectomies, condoms, etc.
You think men and women at a young age are going to do those things? Birth control pills don't always work. Many women have claimed to be on birth control pills and somehow manage to get pregnant.

As for vasectomies and hysterectomies, you think teenagers and young adults are going to have those things? Even people my age (28) don't do those things. I don't know anyone who has had one of those procedures.

As for saving yourself for marrage, very few people do anymore. A lot of people have sex during middle or high school. Yes some might wait until they're older or really in love, and then there are the few who might wait for marriage, but those who do wait for marriage are few and far between.

Again it's ugly on what I suggested, but in a society where we keep on kicking out babies (maybe not as much in the United States compared to other countries), with people not taking responsbility, and an overpopulation that is putting a damper on the small amount of resources we have left on this planet, some sort of population control needs to be enforced.

I really don't know why people want to have children. Is it because it's the norm? Is it because all the friends are having one or two or three? I said long ago I wouldn't want kids and don't plan on having any.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I said it before, if people REALLY cared about life that much, they wouldn't drop bombs on women, children, and the elderly to prove some sort of point. We wouldn't let people die in the street of starvation or misery. We would work hard to improve the lives of people who want to kill themselves. Abortion is just a fancy little wedge issue that politicians make so they can get elected and NOT help the poor, not try to spread peace and not try to improve life quality. Same way I feel about conscious vegetarianism. Why should we play nice with animals when humans have such contempt for each other.

Plus, what about those actually married couples that use birth control? People who aren't capable of raising children, not do they want them.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in honest, practical sex ed in schools to help curb disease and pregnancy. I'm also a firm believer in adoption. It's the most selfless choice by both parties. There are too many fertility clinics for selfish folk who think perpetuating their genes is more important than giving a home to an existing child. There are many soap opera level myths about things gone wrong that hardly ever happen. I believe the adoption process should be easier and less restrictive so that evey child can have a home without social or financial bias. I'm an "all options on the table" sort of person. Some I support more than others. With better access to more choices people can pick the better ones. In the end it's a catch 22. Mentally functioning people should have dominion over their own body in a free society. /soapbox

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in honest, practical sex ed in schools to help curb disease and pregnancy. I'm also a firm believer in adoption. It's the most selfless choice by both parties. There are too many fertility clinics for selfish folk who think perpetuating their genes is more important than giving a home to an existing child. There are many soap opera level myths about things gone wrong that hardly ever happen. I believe the adoption process should be easier and less restrictive so that evey child can have a home without social or financial bias.
Yeah... on the other side of the matter, I HATE people who have massive freakishly large families that DON'T consider adoption either.

personally, what REALLY gets me is the certain people in power who whine about how evil abortion is, but don't give a crap about what happens to the baby after it's born. It's a two way street. You can't just pretend to care about life when it's fetus and then throw it away once it grows up. The kid could starve to death on the street and it's "oh well, it's HIS problem." It's all this nasty political and psuedo-religious stuff that follows it around I find hypocritical. Again, if life is very much so sacred, why the heck do kids shoot each other over Nikes, and why do people STILL feel they're better drivers when they're so inebriated the road forks in 15 different directions that aren't there. And yet, the very same people in charge that whine about said issue feel like dropping bombs on babies, mothers and children for such STUPID reasons.

You can't just pick out a tiny portion of a human's life and say "Oh! THAT'S the sacred part." and have such wanton disregard for the rest of it. Personally, I can't say I agree to either side of the debate, since I dislike the restriction of rights and choice. Freedom of choice DOESN'T mean freedom from making the wrong choice. Some people have to make horrible choices so they can learn from them. It's the same way I feel about yuppie parental groups and their one size fits all logic for kids. That's my tiny opinion on that, but the thing that really gets me is that if you care so much about what happens to these kids, give the kids themselves a GOOD life, a good education. Don't say, "Oh, killing you is immoral, but letting life beat that same life down is perfectly fine."

Kiki

Reaction score
As for vasectomies and hysterectomies, you think teenagers and young adults are going to have those things? Even people my age (28) don't do those things. I don't know anyone who has had one of those procedures.
Exactly, I doubt many young people would be able to have them. And it stops women from menstruating... hmm... I'm probably gonna sound really old-school saying this, and it could be my upbringing talking, but sounds a little unnatural. Then again, I know girls who wolf down pills that'll stop it like lollies.

I said it before, if people REALLY cared about life that much, they wouldn't drop bombs on women, children, and the elderly to prove some sort of point. We wouldn't let people die in the street of starvation or misery. We would work hard to improve the lives of people who want to kill themselves. Abortion is just a fancy little wedge issue that politicians make so they can get elected and NOT help the poor, not try to spread peace and not try to improve life quality. Same way I feel about conscious vegetarianism. Why should we play nice with animals when humans have such contempt for each other.
I second all of the above.

I'm a firm believer in honest, practical sex ed in schools to help curb disease and pregnancy. I'm also a firm believer in adoption. It's the most selfless choice by both parties. There are too many fertility clinics for selfish folk who think perpetuating their genes is more important than giving a home to an existing child. There are many soap opera level myths about things gone wrong that hardly ever happen. I believe the adoption process should be easier and less restrictive so that evey child can have a home without social or financial bias. I'm an "all options on the table" sort of person. Some I support more than others. With better access to more choices people can pick the better ones. In the end it's a catch 22. Mentally functioning people should have dominion over their own body in a free society. /soapbox
I agree. With adoption, I think it's a really good idea personally, and I kinda wish more people, if they were to adopt, to adopt more older kids. I mean, many of them are out there who need a family, so people shouldn't just focus on cute little babies/young children.
I wish sex ed was enforced more at schools. I don't understand when people go, '13 year old shouldn't know what sex is...' because if more awareness was raised on certain topics it would give them a further understanding on some things, for the better. I go to a catholic school, and I got taught sex ed in years 7 and 9. However, we never got taught about contraception. Obviously, I know about it, but teacher's avoid the subject all together- for obvious reasons, being at a catholic school, yadayadayda. Like, if a girl would ask a subject regarding it, they would literally just ignore it, but I suppose they Have To... but still.

personally, what REALLY gets me is the certain people in power who whine about how evil abortion is, but don't give a crap about what happens to the baby after it's born. It's a two way street. You can't just pretend to care about life when it's fetus and then throw it away once it grows up. The kid could starve to death on the street and it's "oh well, it's HIS problem." It's all this nasty political and psuedo-religious stuff that follows it around I find hypocritical. Again, if life is very much so sacred, why the heck do kids shoot each other over Nikes, and why do people STILL feel they're better drivers when they're so inebriated the road forks in 15 different directions that aren't there. And yet, the very same people in charge that whine about said issue feel like dropping bombs on babies, mothers and children for such STUPID reasons.

You can't just pick out a tiny portion of a human's life and say "Oh! THAT'S the sacred part." and have such wanton disregard for the rest of it. Personally, I can't say I agree to either side of the debate, since I dislike the restriction of rights and choice. Freedom of choice DOESN'T mean freedom from making the wrong choice. Some people have to make horrible choices so they can learn from them. It's the same way I feel about yuppie parental groups and their one size fits all logic for kids. That's my tiny opinion on that, but the thing that really gets me is that if you care so much about what happens to these kids, give the kids themselves a GOOD life, a good education. Don't say, "Oh, killing you is immoral, but letting life beat that same life down is perfectly fine."
Exactly. Personally, regarding abortion, I'm very much pro-choice. It is not /my/ body, so therefore it's not my choice, it is up to the woman. It won't be neccessarily abad choice if they decide to abort... I mean, it isn't my place to shove my opinion down someone's throat. Religion confuses me. Biblical days: Oh, than woman got raped- let's stone her! Okay, that was an old example. Look... I won't get into details, but I find religion SO very contradicting and hypocritical on so many levels. And there are just so many different interpretations. I'm a Catholic, and there have been times when I found God to give my guidence and hope, and that's wonderful that people have the same feeling everyday, but... people should also learn to think for themselves. What is "morally-correct" and the same thing really relevant for everyone?