Danger Mouse and Powerpuff Girls both announced for comebacks

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Buttercup seems to be the best written of the bunch, Blossom's odd obsession with order and cleanliness is in danger of Flanderization
Yeah, Buttercup is definitely my favorite character on the show, and I hope Blossom's obsession doesn't progressively take over her character.

Drtooth

Reaction score
To be honest, while I watched the original series for the villains and characters outside the girls, Buttercup was my favorite of the bunch. So I have a little bias. I like the writing of the character and even her voice change making her sound more gruff. Even like the cowlick. With Bubbles, the writers need to decide if they want her to have completely grown out of her cuteness and if they want to do anything with her computer programming. Something that says the character is growing up, but still the same. I think they're almost successful with it. The episode about the unicorn really felt like they had a tight grip on the character, only to loosen it in the next few episodes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
This last episode really has shown the show has slowly progressed, and is starting to make use of the new characters added into the series. 2010's humor aside, this totally could have been an episode, provided the unicorn character existed. We got to see one of the few actual Mojo Jojo evil plots in the series that wasn't a one off gag. I especially liked Buttercup commenting on how the unicorns were wasting their magic on mundane or unspectacular things, only to praise Mojo sucking the magic out of the unicorn as cliche yet more worthy of their powers.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Loved seeing Donny return, and loved seeing how Mojo is being used as a major villain again. I agree that the writers do need to tone down the use of 2010s-style humor, like when they introduce new characters with their own title card or blatantly reference Internet memes.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The episode with the Roller Derby girls used a Pickle and Peanut-esque fake echo effect at some point. That was the worst of the new humor, but thankfully it was only used the once. I don't terribly mind the title cardy type stuff, but I agree that needs to be phased out. Maybe bring the narrator back in to narrate things instead. I can get the satire of them being little girls who are superheroes is lost in a post-Star Butterfly/Faith world. But if they can help it and make less new humor, that would be great.

Still, as long as the jokes aren't all painfully paced slow burns. And yeah, I'm being hard on the last season of the old series to defend this series, but there's no way the episode with the Phyllis Diller voiced make up based villain had to be the full half hour. Edit that sucker down to the pacing of a season 2 episode, you have a standard 11 minute segment.

mr3urious

Reaction score
We get yet another episode that felt like it could have been from the original show. This time, it's with Blossom and Morbucks running against each other for student body president, culminating in a rasslin' match with the over-the-top violence we've come to expect from PPG that the writers thankfully haven't forgotten about. We even get to see a conflicted Bubbles use her energy powers to form a dinosaur, something we haven't seen in a while! :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like that this was better than the standard class president episode, that usually stems from the frustration of the writers with politics. Like that Arthur episode where Arthur tries to run and because Muffy spoils the entire campaign for both of them and the third party Binky won? Blossom being so disgusted for playing the same dirty tricks that Princess dragged her into that she resigned was a nice touch, especially convincing the kid who won to carry on her ideas. So refreshing instead of the Anvilicious "try a third party" preachiness/rantiness that usually happens in these things.

And I totally feel the need to reiterate that for whatever crap this show gets, the one thing that I can safely say has been a strong improvement over the original is how Princess comes off a little more grown up than the constantly whiny voiced brat she was in the original series. They give her more swagger and confidence and toss out childish temper tantrums for actual antagonism. They took one of the weakest characters from the original series and tweaked her so she's the same in spirit, but better in execution.

mr3urious

Reaction score
The latest episode was a bit reminiscent of the Beebo episode from the original series to me, only Cheepie was a natural creature rather than a man-made Mogwai wannabe, and Bubbles took him from his natural habitat against the other girls' warnings. I enjoyed the running gag of Buttercup repeatedly losing her Zoomsbie and complaining about it.

Last edited:

mr3urious

Reaction score
We're starting to get a week's-worth of new PPG episodes, and the first focuses on the Fashionistas getting out of prison and creating a hot new fashion that takes over Townsville... literally. It also gave the Professor a chance to be a bad@$$ and stand up to the Fashionistas for destroying his daughters.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think this episode shows that the show is starting moreso to drop the flavor of the writers, and more of a genuine classic PPG feel updated in all the right places. Even did a "Once again, the day is saved" gag, something lacking in most episodes. Plus we actually got a little more backstory on the Fashionista characters, as well as them being used in a truly villainous role. Even managed to sneak in the subtlety of the girls not being perfect, something that was brought up on multiple episodes of the original.

This is one of the most, if not the most original PPG of the series to date. No weird title cards or high pitched Choruses. That's a definite sign of improvement.