1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. WAYMOND

WAYMOND New Member

I read somewhere that Jerry was pursueing a music career by releasing his own cd. Is there any truth to that?

2. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

I'm glad to hear they're going to try getting Paul Williams! :sing: :cool:

3. anytimepally

anytimepally Active Member

you know, a good place for him to be if it's just a small role would be Statler, because Statler and Waldorf only get a few lines per film :sleep: :boo:

4. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

:boo: A nice thought, but I actually think Steve does a better job with Statler, or at least his is closer to Richard Hunt's Statler. Especially with Dave Goelz playing Waldorf, the two characters end up having a relationship closer to how they were on The Muppet Show. Dave and Jerry work well together, but Dave and Steve play off each other so great! :sleep:

Having said that, I really, really want to see as many characters that Jerry Nelson originated as possible (yes, I know he originated Statler, but Richard made him the old fool we know and love).

Jerry characters for the new Muppet movie: Floyd, Crazy Harry, Robin, Uncle Deadly, Lew Zealand, Louis Kazagger, Pops, Slim Wilson, Angus McGonagle the Argyle Gargoyle who gargles Gershwin... heck, everybody! :sing:

5. Rowlph

Rowlph New Member

They Could Do It Well

As far as future movie ideas go, I REALLY hope they return back to the concept that the Muppets live in a Muppet world with Human guests, NOT a Human world with Muppet guests. I always thought that the best Muppet movies/shows were the ones that let us relax completely in the Muppet fantasy. Although movies like 'Muppets Take Manhattan' had good stuff going for it, don't you think it was strange in a distracting way for everything to be human around them. And don't you think it would have been WAY cooler if the movie was set a Muppet World's New York with human guests? Think of the world created in 'Muppets Christmas Carol'!

Also, I really hope they keep the jokes and material appropriate for all ages, as that has been the point of the Muppets from the beginning, something that everyone can enjoy. While it can take more effort to do this well, it would be worth it. However, from their choice in people working on this movie, I suspect that they may try to make more Adult Muppet stuff, which is frankly, weird. Weird in a bad way, not a Gonzo way.

Do it well! :sympathy:

6. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

I agree with this somewhat. I always assumed the Muppetverse was rather balanced, at least, there was an implied balance. Humans didn't gawk at the Muppets in Manhattan like they were freaks who didn't belong there, and they managed to fill the pews with characters. Perhaps it comes down to staffing? Nowadays, you could always insert more Muppets in the background, either completely with CGI or film a character in blue screen and add later or something.

7. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well I guess it depends on your own taste. Some fans like MCC's universe better and that's cool but I'm personally a bigger fan of Muppets Take Manhattan. Personally I liked it when the Muppets were kinda outcasts in a human world. They stuck out and were a bit strange, but that taught the humans a lesson in creativity and tolerance. :)

8. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

No, I agree. They seem to be like the minority of minorities, since they range from non-talking animals/things to sentient and talking animals/things WHILE humans and regular animals/things already exist. However, while some humans were, uh, "Muppetist", on the whole, most didn't really care.

9. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I agree. The crafted soundstage sets for MTI and MCC are beautiful, but they just don't beat Fozzie Bear talking to a herd of cows. "Of course I've heard of cows!" :o

10. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Hear! Hear! The magic of Kermit on a bicycle or Fozzie driving a Studebaker can't be beat by Muppets mingling on an old London street. Not by a long shot. Gimme Muppets in the real world any day of the week! It's been WAY too long since we've seen that. And I think Segel and Stoller will not disappoint in that area.

11. WAYMOND

WAYMOND New Member

I much prefer humans in a Muppet world than Muppets in a human world.

12. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That goes to say why MCC is one of my least favorite muppet movies. They were guest stars in their own movie. I feel MTI did a better job, making most of the important pirates Muppets (Clueless Morgan, Polly Lobster, etc.) And I did like the feel of MTI. I felt it had a better balance.

But TMT, MTM, and GMC (as well as MFS and VMX- in a smaller extent) give the movies to the Muppets and one or two humans. The humans are the guests or antagonists or friends, and not the stars.

I mean, I can see a human star of a movie anytime.

13. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I love the look of Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol, but seeing Muppets in the real world is very exciting, too. I like it that The Muppet Show dropped humans into a world overrun by Muppets, and then they reversed that in The Muppet Movie by putting Kermit in with just humans, and the occasional Muppet to run into.

Personally, I'd like to see them mix it a bit more. Sort of like with Greg the Bunny. I'd like to see the Muppets in the real world, but both humans and puppets as background characters... I don't know if that would quite work as well with the Muppets outside of the "storybook" setting, though.

14. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Seeing Muppets in the real world mingling with onlookers...be it Pepe and Rizzo interviewing people on the street for "From the Balcony", Uncle Matt on Fraggle Rock, Muppets @ WDW, the test footage for Muppet Movie, etc always is the best.

So...when a Muppet film is mostly filmed on stages, it just lacks that magic. When we seeing the Muppet gang walking through downtown Manhattan in MTM, it feels alive and wonderful.

I have no doubt this magic will be back with Segal and Stoller's vision as well as the Fraggle Rock movie.

I myself absolutely loathe Muppet Oz, Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island, Frog Prince, and any of those Muppets as classic literature character specials and films.

15. froggiegirl18

froggiegirl18 New Member

New Muppet Movie?

Hey I got a call from a friend the other day and she said she heard there might be a muppet movie in the making and I was wondering if anyone else heard about it. Is it another rumor or is there really a movie in the making?

16. ngreen522

ngreen522 New Member

17. Drtooth

I feel the exact same way. I mean, when you do a hybrid film, you basically talk to a cardboard standee, or a tennis ball. Sure, a puppet may be inanimate and artificial, but with a puppeteer right there, you have something to react to... something that exists in the moment, and not some after thought added in by someone somewhere else.

I especially feel the same way with the recent Star Wars films. Especially since the CGI's had a lot more gravitaional freedom than the actors. They were too realistic, and yet cartoony. Like Jar Jar. he was basically floating and bouncing on screeen.

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

There's a lot wrong with Jar Jar. He's almost the Clifford of Episode One. :o

I have no problem with CG easing little bits in a Muppet scene (like the Kermit flip in MTI) but not as a rule. Man, George Lucas just kept throwing more CG at the screen until now replacing everything with computer animation for the Clone Wars. I am seeing that film, but early word on it is that the animation is as wooden as the dialogue! I do like the look of the hand drawn animation this film was based on. Oh, and Frank didn't come back to voice Yoda. I guess he's completely out of the Star Wars biz now. :(

19. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

I think I remember reading somewhere that Frank Oz would portray Yoda if he appeared in the live-action series that's set to debut in a couple of years. Considering that Yoda would be in exile, that probably wouldn't be very often.

But from a certain perspective you could argue that CG creatures raise the bar for the actors--they have to engage their imaginations more fully to do their jobs . . .

20. Drtooth

HAHAHA! You're serious? Clone Wars isn't a "Star Wars" movie, but rather a movie version of a pilot of a TV show they were planning for some time. It's a new version of the cartoon Clone wars using essentially the same character designs, but all CGI. Frank isn't returning to voice Yoda, since Frank never voiced Yoda in the original series of Clone Wars cartoons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.