1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. Not only did they do well with the Muppet gang, but they also did well for the Mouse as they co-hosted the "Mickey and the Beanstalk portion" of Fun & Fancy Free with Jimminy Cricket, as seen:

&fmt=18
    &fmt=18
    &fmt=18
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Or the two are in that deep development part just before the pick up of the script, where you don't hear anything from the scriptwriters or company. We've seen it before.
  3. wwfpooh New Member

That could be it, but it still feels upsetting to not be able to be a part of the loop.
  4. Fozzie Bear Moderator

Actually, I thought about it more, and while the actors used for the cameos in MFS weren't the in-thing, they did play character roles. It was the Hulk Hogan role that irked me more than anything--it took something that should be timeless and timed it right smack in the mid-1990's (or whenever it came out...some fan I am!).

I agree, they should really aim high for cameo performances and put them behind an ice cream stand or selling balloons, not screaming at their Hoganites! HA HA!
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Actually, if you wanna get technical, the Hulkster was more popular in the 80's... pushing in the early 90's... definately before this movie came out (When did Hulk Hogan have that cartoon show? 85, I think). I feel the references to the WB network shows and the Dawson's Creek stuff was creakier. Oh, and the reference to the Spice Girls.
  6. frogboy4 Inactive Member

They called him "Hollywood Hulk Hogan" that was apparently his later incarnation of the wrestling character. I still don't understand the entertainment value of wrestling or its world so I'll just stop there. :confused:

Muppets from Space came out on July 14, 1999. It cost $24M to make, took in $16.6M in its dismal three week domestic run. It only gained $5.7M internationally to an underwhelming $22.3M worldwide. The home video release occurred on Oct 26, 1999 to finally nudge them over the budget mark. I know people like that film but it was a critical and financial failure that is a sore subject with many lifelong fans. This really was a film for the Sesame Street kind. There's nothing wrong with that except it isn't what these Muppets are supposed to be about. :sympathy:

I have a lot of faith that Segel knows the magic formula to put these Muppets back in their zone. We have had a bit too much Stepford Muppeting in recent years. They seemed okay, but a little while into the majority of these projects they proved to be lobotomized to exhibit out of character behavior that was either too kiddie or overly snarky. There have been some shining moments, but they were too few and far between. The majority of new Muppet media has been so promising. I am truly stoked.
  7. Vic Romano Active Member

Just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall and I have to say now that I'm stoked. Jason is awesome and a superfan. We'll have to wait and see what we get, but I'm confident and really excited that this is in the hands of someone who cares and is respectful of the Muppets. For the first time in a long time, I'm really excited about what is to come!
  8. Winslow Leach Active Member

I know I'm coming very late to the discussion, but I am so looking forward to this film. I believe the Muppets are in excellent hands with Jason Segel and Nicholas Stoller.

I finally saw Sarah Marshall a couple weeks ago, and was very impressed; solid screenplay by Segel and an excellent cast made this one of the better comedies in recent years, IMO. I especially loved Jonah Hill, Paul Rudd and Bill Hader, all of whom had laugh out loud moments, especially Rudd (and Judd Apatow regular) as the surfing instructor:

You sound like you're from London!

Come on out, the weather outside is...weather...

I once saw him beat up a guy with a starfish!

Then there was Segel tearfully playing the piano, singing The Muppet Show theme.

But the real highlight for me...that had me rolling on the floor...was the inspired and insane Dracula musical, A Taste for Love, with puppets courtesy of Henson.:zany:

So yeah...I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Muppet flick!:D
  9. GuySmileyfan Member

Here Here! Let's hope it's better than Muppets From Space.;)
  10. dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I have the DVD and one night this week I'm going to listen to the auido comentery. Hopfully they might shed some light on the muppet movie.
  11. WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

I...so...excited. Can't...control...self... *screams* :halo:
  12. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oh, there's no doubt they would avoid all of that as much as possible. They have stated that what we want to see is exactly the same as what they want to see.

That said, since they're co-stars in the show... I really hope they find a place for Neil Patrick Harris in this film. He was just electric in both his apperances in Sesame Street this year.
  13. muppetwannabe New Member

Yeah the guest stars in the Muppet Movies used to be classic but they aren't as good anymore! I actually liked the Muppets from Space Muppets Wizzard of Oz is where they are going down hill! I liked the movie ok but it just wasn't one of their best efforts I hope the next one is alot better! Does anyone know if there is a plot yet? If so What will the movie be about?
  14. GuySmileyfan Member

Forgive me if I keep obsessing about Rowlf the Dog, but to help to keep our hopes up for our favorite cute dog muppet, here is the clip played by Bill Barretta 2:10 to 4:10:&feature=PlayList&p=5EDC0C6BE45AB3C1&index=11
  15. The 11th UrRu Member

I guess this is what they call the calm before the storm...
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

It's more like the calm before the script is finalized. Look at how long it took for the Fraggle Film to even get to the scripting and rewrite stage....
  17. dabauckham Member

YES! Neil Patrick Harris ROCKS! :crazy:
  18. unclematt Active Member

I didnt see either of NPH appearences on SS
  19. bluebomber95 Member

:mad: I cannot wait that long! I need my fix of Muppets! Oh, well, I guess we should all be happy that they're making a Muppet Movie. But, I really hope this doesn't go into developmental ****. That's the only thing I'm worried about.
  20. wherestheanykey New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.