Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Hey gang, saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night, and I must say I was very, very impressed with Jason Segel's writing. He's sharp, witty, quick, and most importantly smart with his comedy, and this rather vulgar film found a heart in it (so imagine what he can do with the Muppets!). Overall I was very impressed with the film itself, from Segel's character singing The Muppet Show theme song after a night of binge drinking or the Hawaiin bartender's reference to Fraggle Rock, Elmo, Sesame Street, Ernie and Bert, it was just great to see Segel mentioning the Muppets that are obviously close to him.

And did I mention the final shot of the film? It was a shot of the two main characters from the Dracula puppet musical looking at each other, smiling, with the screen closing in around them in the shape of a heart.

I think Jason Segel knows what he's doing, and I think we're gonna love it.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... Even if he's borrowing from one of your fics Prawn o' Doom? :smirk:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night too, and it gave me a ton of confidence for the new Muppet project. The film was very funny, touching, and (perhaps most importantly) very character-based. This can only be good news for the Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey gang, saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night, and I must say I was very, very impressed with Jason Segel's writing. He's sharp, witty, quick, and most importantly smart with his comedy, and this rather vulgar film found a heart in it (so imagine what he can do with the Muppets!). Overall I was very impressed with the film itself, from Segel's character singing The Muppet Show theme song after a night of binge drinking or the Hawaiin bartender's reference to Fraggle Rock, Elmo, Sesame Street, Ernie and Bert, it was just great to see Segel mentioning the Muppets that are obviously close to him.

And did I mention the final shot of the film? It was a shot of the two main characters from the Dracula puppet musical looking at each other, smiling, with the screen closing in around them in the shape of a heart.

I think Jason Segel knows what he's doing, and I think we're gonna love it.
You know, I wasn't gonna see this movie (due to the fact financial problems are having me hold on to the top films I must see, Indiana Jones, Speed Racer, Batman, Wall*E, and Star Wars Clone Wars theatrical pilot), but I'm totally up for it now. With mutliple Muppet references like that, you can tell they're clear and present fans. Not that there was any doubt. It's always great to see famous fans work on a project.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
We know by know that Jason Segal is A Muppet fan. Here is something that came into my mind last night.

I Wonder what type of advancements in puppetering we may or may not see. We know that Jason also is interested in puppets, so I wonder what kind of things he will see if the Muppets can do. Drive cars Ride bikes all kinds of things have yet to be done with the Muppets and I really hope he works the Henson Creature Shop

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Just got back from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall".

The Muppets are in the safest of safe hands.

I think the last scene that takes place in the bar (for anyone who's seen it) is one of the purest scenes I've seen in a romantic comedy in a long time.

beaker

Reaction score
1. Wow...a lot of the new Muppet film will take place in Los Angeles? Excellent...I LOVE it when the Muppets are in real, non studio locations and in a big city. And theyll be using the old JHC studios? Too cool. I have a feeling they will be pulling a lot of surprises...cameos from possibly other JHC work, like Sesame Street among others.

2. Just a bit of warning, Forgetting Sarah Marshall is one of the MOST sexually explicit films I can think of thats come to mainstream theatres, definately not for the whole family. I mean, its hardcore territory, just a warning. If graphic depictions of sex, full frontal nudity, unrelenting graphic sexual talk, etc doesnt bother you then check it out(I personally loved the movie)

They make reference to the Muppet Show, Fraggle Rock, Sesame Street, etc...so theres lots of stuff for Muppet fans(he even plays the Muppet Show theme)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just had a thought...

If this supposed "new muppet movie" is going to happen like everyone thinks it will, and is apparently going to be theatrical like rumored, then shouldn't Frank Oz be directing? Didn't he say he wanted to direct the next THEATRICAL muppet movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.