1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

It's pretty cool that this thing is going so well! Can't wait until there able to hear back!
  2. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

Hopefully we will get a few more TV specials before the movie comes out.
  3. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

I think Jason Segel might be a great songwriter for this movie. I mean, he want's to bring the good times back of the Muppets. Or maybe they'll give Paul Williams a chance. But, this time he needs the heart and fellings of the Muppets point of view.
  4. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

Hey just thought another title. How about they called it Muppets Together Again. Kinda like from Muppets Take Manhattan.
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's nice, it is one of my favorite Muppet songs. :)
  6. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

7. pattywack

pattywack New Member

I wonder who will direct it ... I really hope it's not the latest director, no offence. He's great and all, but if we want the muppet feel back then we need to go back. I doubt Frank Oz would come back though haha.
  8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I do like Thatcher's take on the Muppets. He's shown range with the various projects he's directed, but I think it's time for a fresh take as far as the next motion picture goes. I doubt Oz would want to direct it, but even so I'd still vote for somebody new. However if either Thatcher or Oz directed I'd cheer them on and be thankful for their proven Muppety knowledge.

The issue, as has been stated by the writers in the current MC interview, is that directing Muppets is different than anything else. They are a special effect, but still need to feel spontaneous. That's a hefty feat to pull off. I just hope the Muppet movie director knows that.

Still - if the Muppets ever get another television program I think Oz should direct the pilot. Still doubtful, but he's my first choice for a new Muppet Show launch.
  9. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

You know, Nick Stoller has a point for finding a perfect director. I wonder who could direct the exciting new Muppet Movie.
  10. dwayne1115

Jim Lewis mabye?
  11. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I feel maybe for a major movie, maybe not the best place for Jim Lewis to try his hand at directing (Has he directed before? I can't quite recall). I'd love to see someone unconnected to the Muppets as the director. Someone fresh and interesting. But with a good Muppet-related producer behind him, pointing the camera away from the Muppeteers.
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with it being someone that already works with the muppets :excited:
  13. dwayne1115

Well it was just an idea, I would also think that Bill Bereta would do a good job with Directing!
  14. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Barretta is the first choice that pops in my mind.
  15. dwayne1115

I think he would bring a lot of energy to the new Movie. I also think that Brian Henson should be involved in some way. Maybe as a producer, or even co Director. I always thought that Brian and Bill's friendship was a lot like Jim and Frank's
  16. trekkie1701E

trekkie1701E New Member

Brian Henson is an awesome director, even better than his dad (hate to say, but it's true); this is partly why I was dissapointed when Disney bought the muppets; there's less of a chance of him being on board for a project.

What do you think the chances are of him being involved in future muppet films?
  17. GuySmileyfan

GuySmileyfan Member

I just hope they going to give Miss Piggy's angry eyes like the previous movies. Like this one right here::mad: Now that's what I call an angry eye pig.LOL!
  18. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Shot in the dark, but I personally wouldn't mind Tim Burton directing a Muppet film. He'd be a good fit for the Muppets if you ask me. The Muppets are just as quirky as his movies are and note that many of the protagonists in his movies are misfits/outsiders different from the crowd (Pee-Wee Herman, Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, etc.) and if the plot of the apparent plot is a sign of anything, Kermit will really embody that the film.
  19. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I never thought of Tim Burton but I wouldnt have a problem with him directing a Mupeet movie. The only thing is it would have to have Johnny Depp in it somewhere.
  20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It is an interesting idea, but Tim Burton leaves too firm a fingerprint on his films for his skills to serve the Muppets. I mean, this is the fellow that reinvented the Joker and Bruce Wayne characters far beyond what most lifelong Batman fans knew as sacred and admittedly stayed away from researching the source material. I did enjoy his Batman, but as a fan of the Muppets I wouldn't want him steering them in his own direction. I wouldn't think he'd be interested either. I would like to see what his take would be on live action puppetry.

Evidently members of this forum have confirmed Tim Burton actually performed a Muppet in the finale of The Muppet Movie. :attitude:

Anyway, I'd bet on Thatcher topping the list of possible directors. We know he wanted Disney to enhance the Oz budget and release it theatrically so I believe this would be the next likely step. We also know he has range from the snarkier VMX to the candy coated LTS. It appears the Muppets are always themselves in his pieces but the real issue is with the written material. If that's good then Thatcher is a solid choice. Maybe not my first one because I'd like to see something fresh - but I'd still be quite pleased with his helming the film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.