1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by GelflingWaldo, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

So, has their been any updates on this, or are we going to get way off topic about stuff we're just speculating at this point. I hope the lul in the news is a direct result of work being done on the script. Look how long we went without news on Fraggle Rock... it was all just about waiting for the distribution and other writers.
  2. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

And we're still without a general plot line, considering the FR writers changed from Zappa to Edwards.
  3. Drtooth

It didn't "Change" it had 2 writers. One wrote the general story, the other has to make something out of the story. It's basically how screenplays generally work. you have one person writing the scenario as a general novel or short story type of an out line... then someone else has to come in and make scenes and dialogue out of it. it's not uncommon.
  4. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

I just hope the film follows the continuity of the series that inspired it.
  5. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I am sure it will be very Fraggle. but lets rememver this is the Stoller-Segel thread
  6. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Back to the Segal film, I hope it keeps within the Muppet spirit.
  7. wherestheanykey

wherestheanykey New Member

Disney held a big preview of their upcoming production slate from 2008 to 2011 on Wednesday. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38488
    But there was no mention of the new muppet movie.
    eek.
    Hopefully it was only because it's still in its development/pre-production stage.
  8. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. It would be horrible to find out that the movie has been delayed or canned outright.
  9. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Something I've noticed is that most of the time the Muppet Studios name has been kept entirely seperate from most of the Disney stuff. For example... in the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly there's a huge two-page collage of stars spread across it. Among them are Kermit, Miss Piggy, Animal, Bunsen and Beaker, and Sweetums--along with Walt Disney. There are, however, two different copyrights for them: "The Muppets Studio, LLC" and "Disney Enterprises, Inc."

So... in essence, it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to keep the announcements seperate. I highly doubt the movie has been canned or forgotten about. Read this if you don't believe me. :smirk:
  10. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Maybe the copyrights are because the Hensons still technically have creator's rights on The Muppets?
  11. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

No... they don't... I think it's just because they're trying to keep them somewhat separate.
  12. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

That's 'cause people still consider them seperate. XD
  13. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit Well-Known Member

Don't just assume that, Pooh. =P I could name quite a few people I know in RL who link the Disney and the Henson family together all the time.
  14. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

No, no. What I mean is that people still associate The Muppets with their creator, Jim Henson, despite the buyout.
  15. Drtooth

With all the publicity, if they don't make good on this promise, there's gonna be shell to pay. I could see these 2 hip and in demand writers vowing never to work with Disney again.

Of course, off topic, most of the movies listed sounded like pure garbage. Wild Hogs 2... yeah... like we needed that first one.

I AM interrested on what the new Lone Ranger will turn out to be...
  16. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

The Muppet movie will propbably be a highlight next year. They really are laying down firm groundwork for it an probably don't want to jinx it. Also it appears the Weinstein's Fraggle Rock movie is much further along in development that they might be holding back news to keep clear of confusion of the two projects. It happens.

The Lone Ranger has cast Depp as Tonto and is courting Clooney as the masked guy himself.

Did they indicate Jim Carrey was to be in Burton's Alice? I kinda hope not. The reports I have heard of the film is like MGM's Oz, Burton plans a somewhat desaturated opening in the real world and a blast of color (plus Disney 3D) when they get to Wonderland. Much of the characters, including Depp's confirmed Mad Hatter, are reportedly motion capture. If Jim Carrey is the Cheshire Cat I will be so very angry. :mad: I am curious to see Burton's take on that character. I just hope it is better than his other recent adaptations of Charlie and Apes. :o

Back to the topic - I just wish they had a title for this new Muppet film. I also hope they get creative with the poster campaign.
  17. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I'm a HUGE Lone Ranger fan--not a fan of the casting for the upcoming film (although they may surprise me).

My desire about the new Muppet movie is that they take a lead from The Muppet Movie where the cameos were of characters and were therefore timeless--unlike the cameos in more recent films.

It would be nice to see really creative posters about the new Muppet movie. I expect they'll do something very cool with it all. I'm excited about all of this, though. I'm so very happy the Muppets are coming back into their own, and I hope it's successful with some great work and it sticks!
  18. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Well, so many of the stars in the film were character-like themselves (ex: Edgar Bergen alongside his famous dummy, Charlie McCarthy).
  19. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Or, to hear Charlie tell it, it was he who was along side HIS dummy Edgar. :) Charlie was an awesome character. MOrtimer was funny, too. I think that having had Candace Bergen and Edger Bergen both on The Muppet Show was certainly an awesome thing to have done.
  20. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

No offense to Kathy Griffin, Hulk Hogan, Andy McDowell or Ray Liotta, but the Muppets used to attract mostly hot, timeless or higher esteemed personalities in their films. After Tim Curry's brilliant performance in MTI the casting seemed to go downhill far and fast! That's what makes me glad to hear of possible cameos for the new film. It mixes the old Muppety magic Charles Grodin with box office draw and Oscar winner Angelina Jolie. That's how it used to be done. If Jim were around it never would have been an issue. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.