Disney Enlists Segel & Stoller for new Muppets movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
They didn't really have an entire script at all during that, though, did they? At least it worked out for the film

I think it's usually better to have a complete script, and then do rewrites during the filming as it progresses. Bowfinger was like that. Steve Martin was constantly doing rewrites on it during filming (I think he said he usually does that with any of the stuff he writes).
Conventional wisdom would lead one to believe that it's better to have a completed script. The weirdness about Casablanca's script is it's all so beautifully intertwined, intricate and comes across as being written & completed months ahead. In actuality they were throwing those lines at the actors as they were shooting. Magic!

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Conventional wisdom would lead one to believe that it's better to have a completed script.
Well, I do believe that alot of what's ultimately filmed should be somewhat "on the spot". But, I also think that should be built up from something solid.

Then again, Cassablanca was based on a play, so they did have something.

A certain amount of ad-libbing is always great for movies. There's something that happens on set that can be, as you put it, sort of magical. That's what made the original Muppet movies so great, and I hope they do some of that with the new one.

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Very true Super Scooter. They bought the play which had never been produced for an unheard of 20 grand at the time. They had something like 10 writers working to punch it up. Some of them concentrated on the romance, the others on the police, & etc. etc. They definitely had a road map but, there was something about being in the moment that added to the magic. My theory is that the story itself involved a certain tension and the writers only added to that while creating some of the best dialogue ever heard.

An interesting tidbit is the last line:
"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
Was added after all filming had been completed. They actually had to have Bogart come back in and dub the line.

Well, this is all way off subject but fascinating none the less. I'm sure Segel will have some play with what happens whilst filming - he seems like an intuitive guy and his heart seems to be in the right place.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I can't wait to see if Disney Green lights this script! this is such great news! How long do you think it will take for them to read over it?

Beauregard

Reaction score
whats that?
Two weeks.

Or possibly a month. Maybe two. Or three, or a year.

Or three days. Or eleven. Or nineteen.

...hmm...I guess I have no idea...

Bea:zany:{Well, no, I have a few ideas...but no solid facts}regard

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm certain Disney will make the picture with Segel. The real question is the amount of tinkering they'll do and whether they'll try to enforce a sort of Disney formula? I'm sure they'll try to push some endorsements in there, but the Muppets can handle a little bit of the "Sell! Sell! Sell!" I think. Just hope it's not too much.

It appears that Disney has been allowing the Muppets to kind of go their own way for a while. This is smart. The Mouse has never quite understood the appeal of the Muppets and it appears they are interested in learning from the characters and performers rather than shaping them into something they understand.

Every script has countless revisions. That's a good thing. From the pitch I think Disney is just letting a fan do what he sees fit. The fact that Segel is drawing on past successes and classic material should likely please Disney brass. They understand classic appeal.

One concern I do have is in the special effects department. I don't want CG Muppets walking around on screen, but I do think some computer compositing and a bit of animation tweaking for some wide full-body shots especially in musical numbers could enhance the picture if done right. I hope that's at least being considered. The Muppets have always been about traditional physical puppetry at their core, but Jim never shied away from using modern technology (including computers) in the mix. He encouraged all things.

By the way - does anyone remember that old Henson CG Muppet experiment clip that was bouncing around online a few years back? I believe it had Kermit running across a field with Rizzo running under foot. It was kind of weird, but I'd love to see it again but haven't been able to locate it. :shifty:

ngreen522

Reaction score
Don't know if this was already discussed in another thread, but I'm really curious to why the muppets keep denying any knowledge of the new movie. I must have seen like 8 interviews w/ Kermit and Fozzie, and each time they're asked about the new movie ... well, It's the first time they've heard of it. It was cute at first, but now, I'm like .. what's up with that?

uppitymuppity

Reaction score
Angelina Jolie set to star in new Muppet movie:
Los Angeles - Angelina Jolie is being lined up to star in the new Muppets movie.
The 33-year-old actress - who is set to give birth to twins later this month - has reportedly been approached to feature in the film because she is such a huge fan of the Jim Henson creations.
A source said: "The idea is to re-launch the Muppets with a big name and a big movie. Angelina is a big Muppets fan and being so passionate about kids there's a very real chance that she'll take this project on.
"Even Brad might want to have Miss Piggy as a love interest!"
Angelina has previously revealed she thinks she looks like one of the comical puppets.
She said: "I am odd-looking. I sometimes think I look like a funny Muppet!"
Angelina already has three adopted children - Maddox, six, Pax, three, and two-year-old Zahara - and a two-year-old biological daughter Shiloh with Brad.
The Muppets started life on their own TV show which was a worldwide hit and eventually spawned a host of movies.
Angelina wouldn't be the first celebrity to appear alongside the mischievous puppets. Rocker Alice Cooper, the late Johnny Cash and Diana Ross were all guests on the series. - Bang Showbiz.com

Status
Not open for further replies.