DVD wish list.

Son of Enik

Reaction score
I read that Disney is planning a "Song of the South" DVD and Blu ray release as early as March of next year...I hope so.
As far as my wish list for DVD's, along with "Song of the South"...ANYTHING Muppets we don't already have and Rocko's Modern Life would be my top picks.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would have to found that to be plain lazy as well.
More cowardly than lazy. I heard some other company was going to make a box set of the Alvin Show... which, I think I want more than even the 1980's series...I grew up with BOTH (lucky me :wink: )... unless there's some sort of weird licensing thing holding it up... It DOES have the Will Smith hosted "Rockin' Through the Ages" special... but I betcha it's been edited like it's been in a blender (music rights purposes... and Michael Jackson's estate will be tough to negotiate with... Beat it and some other video have Alvin superimposed in one of the clips).

I read that Disney is planning a "Song of the South" DVD and Blu ray release as early as March of next year...I hope so.
Really sounds like pure rumor to me. But I think in this era of mature animation historians, it's about time. Hiding these stereotypes (something pointed out on Warner Bros's classic cartoon collections) would be as bad as saying they didn't exist.

As long as it doesn't have the VERY Early version Walt only showed at Parties (TV Funhouse joke)....

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Really sounds like pure rumor to me. But I think in this era of mature animation historians, it's about time. Hiding these stereotypes (something pointed out on Warner Bros's classic cartoon collections) would be as bad as saying they didn't exist.

As long as it doesn't have the VERY Early version Walt only showed at Parties (TV Funhouse joke)....
LOL, I understand that joke, love that skit, and have it on DVD from the "Best of TV Funhouse on SNL" DVD.

Anyhow, back to Song of the South, well the thing is, from what I understand Disney shareholders like probably once every few years or so, always have a meeting and one topic that gets brought up is whether or not to release this DVD, and as one can see, they always chicken out. This is a movie that in the US, anyway, never even had a VHS release, so I would have to image that a DVD release in the US would be huge not only for Disney fans, but for fans of animation. Disney has released stuff that can be just as offensive since of course it's from the 1930s, 40s and 50s, back when that type of humor was considered ok. anyone who owns those Walt Disney Treasures DVD tin sets knows what I'm talking about, which by the way if Disney doesn't want to give SotS a retail massive release, than why not go ahead and make it part of the Treasures series? I'll take it, :smile:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
LOL, I understand that joke, love that skit, and have it on DVD from the "Best of TV Funhouse on SNL" DVD.

Anyhow, back to Song of the South, well the thing is, from what I understand Disney shareholders like probably once every few years or so, always have a meeting and one topic that gets brought up is whether or not to release this DVD, and as one can see, they always chicken out. This is a movie that in the US, anyway, never even had a VHS release, so I would have to image that a DVD release in the US would be huge not only for Disney fans, but for fans of animation. Disney has released stuff that can be just as offensive since of course it's from the 1930s, 40s and 50s, back when that type of humor was considered ok. anyone who owns those Walt Disney Treasures DVD tin sets knows what I'm talking about, which by the way if Disney doesn't want to give SotS a retail massive release, than why not go ahead and make it part of the Treasures series? I'll take it, :smile:
The article was from the WBZ-TV website here in Boston...it was written in 2007, and it stated that Bob Iger and the rest of the Disney heads are serious about the release and that they might commission Leonard Maltin to do an on screen introduction and epilogue for the disc. There was even talk on another site about interviews with civil rights leaders and historians pertaining to Song of the South's historical and social importance as well as talking to the animators and historians at Disney in reference to the importance the film plays in the company's history. I hope this is all true and not rumor.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Here are the ones i would love to see come to DVDs.

Classic Nicktoons Season Sets (other then the ones on Amazon) I want commenteries, behind the scenes and old nickelodeon comerical bumpers.

Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels: Complete Series
Laff a-lympics: Complete Series

Rest of "Clarrisa Explain It All" and "Pete and Pete" seasons

Pinwheel Place Season Sets
Erueeka's Castle Season Sets
Fred Panner's Place Season Sets
Littl' Bits Seasons Sets

Those are a few. I'll have more to add later on but theses are the ones i've always would love to see and would wish on a computer to get them made.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
leaders and historians pertaining to Song of the South's historical and social importance as well as talking to the animators and historians at Disney in reference to the importance the film plays in the company's history. I hope this is all true and not rumor.
I hope so as well, it does deserve a release in the US, it's never had one, not a VHS, DVD, nothing.

Erueeka's Castle Season Sets

That's one I'll add to my list as well. Though sadly it seems to have been forgotten so much that I wouldn't bet on it getting a DVD release.

This show did have VHS releases, but sadly they didn't have the original opening and theme song, :sympathy:. That makes me wonder if it were to have a DVD release, if that would be the case again.

Erine81981

Reaction score
JJandJanice said:
That's one I'll add to my list as well. Though sadly it seems to have been forgotten so much that I wouldn't bet on it getting a DVD release.

This show did have VHS releases, but sadly they didn't have the original opening and theme song, :sympathy:. That makes me wonder if it were to have a DVD release, if that would be the case again.
Yea that's what's happened to alot of the older Nick Jr. stuff. I have all three videos that came out. One had some of the songs from the show. The second one has a little story about being read to in bed. And the last one was the Christmas Special.

Now i don't know if this is true but i've read that when Noggin becomes Nick Jr. Channel that some of the older Nick Jr. shows are coming back and one of them is "Eureeka's Castle." Now i hope this really happens. It's spoused to start in September on the 30th i believe. The only other show i saw on there was "Allegra's Window." I'm crossing my fingers.

Here are some more DVD sets i would love to see.

Johnny Bravo Season Sets
Cow and Chicken Season Sets
Dexter's Lab (which was already mentioned)

Mister Rogers Neighborhood (Best of - with some older shows like the very first one) Kinda like how they did the Sesame Street sets so far.

Dr. Slump Season Sets (I have never seen any ecpect for what's online) I've been reading the books latey)

Winerville Season Sets (I just loved this show growing up. Hope to see Nick Classics come back)

Inspecter Gadget (Rest of the episodes Volume Sets)
Count Duckula (Rest of the Seasons Sets)
BeetleJuice Cartoon Show (Seasons Sets or Volumes)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Laff a-lympics: Complete Series[/B]
I don't have a clue why they didn't release this one at all. Seems to be the only Scooby Doo cartoon that didn't get a release one way or another.

Dr. Slump Season Sets (I have never seen any ecpect for what's online) I've been reading the books latey)
Yes... even the 1997 series would be great. That's the problem I have with so called anime fans. They don't care about the old school at all. We lost a great deal of classic, groundbreaking stuff for newer programming... some of which was actually a flop in Japan. now, don't get me wrong. I like a lot of new animes... One Piece, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Nerima Daikon Brothers... but there isn't a market for older series (with the exception of Astroboy and Speed Racer... and even then, we only get the dubbed versions... even of the 2001 series). I'd also like to see some progress made with Dragonball getting back to Funimation, so they can release season sets of the original... Dr. Slump and Co make a cameo during the Red Ribbon Army saga.

That said, I'd LOVE to see Ultimate Muscle season sets... even if they only have the 4Kids dub... that was their best dub, as far as I'm concerned.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I don't have a clue why they didn't release this one at all. Seems to be the only Scooby Doo cartoon that didn't get a release one way or another.

Yes... even the 1997 series would be great. That's the problem I have with so called anime fans. They don't care about the old school at all. We lost a great deal of classic, groundbreaking stuff for newer programming... some of which was actually a flop in Japan. now, don't get me wrong. I like a lot of new animes... One Piece, Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, Nerima Daikon Brothers... but there isn't a market for older series (with the exception of Astroboy and Speed Racer... and even then, we only get the dubbed versions... even of the 2001 series). I'd also like to see some progress made with Dragonball getting back to Funimation, so they can release season sets of the original... Dr. Slump and Co make a cameo during the Red Ribbon Army saga.

That said, I'd LOVE to see Ultimate Muscle season sets... even if they only have the 4Kids dub... that was their best dub, as far as I'm concerned.
Yes i agree all the way Drtooth. I would love to see Dragonball Season Sets and it to have the actual background music used in the Japaness versions. I right now am watching one and only "Ranma 1/2" seires. A few weeks ago i went to an Anmie Con. and was able to find the Second Season there. I had only had the first one forever. I got it at Sam Goodey way back in the day. But when it went away i wasn't able to find it expect for Ebay. Which they wanted an arm and a leg. But never did ask about Dr. Slump on DVD or VHS. I should have. Oh well. Maybe i'll do it next year.

I read that one or two are being put on one of the Volume 2 DVDs of the 1970's Saturday Morning Cartoons. I just hope they'll do a complete series on DVD. I just hope that Warner Bros. starts coming out with more Hanna Barbera Classic shows on DVD.

I know "The Banana Splits" would be one of the ones i could enjoy but i've heard there isn't a good copy of most of the shows.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I thought of another one I would like to add to my DVD wish list.

Betty Boop-By that I mean like a chronological set, from the famous toon star's first cartoon to her more "prude-like" later cartoons. I know there has been a few releases of Betty, but just a few select cartoons. I think those of us whom are fans of animation, esp classic "golden age" cartoons, would love a set like this, I would buy it. Even though I'm a guy, but that didn't stop me from buying the Complete series of the Powerpuff girls dvd, :smile: