DVD wish list.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
while the "you just saw them on TV last night" season sets of current shows keep on coming and flooding the market.
I know, I hate that! It's like you're not even given a chance to WANT them yet; some of these shows are still reran regularly on various cable channels as well, so who's going to want to spend the money to buy a season set on DVD (which all seem to have shot up to over $40 now), when you can watch these same episodes, litered with commercials, for free (ignoring the inevidable cable bill)?
That said, Super Mario Brothers the movie is on DVD and has been for some time. I'm sure you could find it cheap. Last time I saw it it was 6 bucks.
I'm aware, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy (nor Stalag 17 for that matter), hence why they're on my wish list right now, lol.

Getting off-topic though, Drtooth, remember when you were explaining how weekly animated series require a minimum of 65 episodes to be syndicated, hence why a lot of classic cartoons only air a certain number of episodes rather than all of them? Do you know if there's any rule or law that has cartoons of today air overseas before they air in the U.S.? The Ed, Edd n Eddy movie has already been aired overseas, but not here yet; while I remember years ago, a friend of mine in the U.K. would've already seen the new episodes of Courage the Cowardly Dog months before any of us in the U.S. got to see them.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know, I hate that! It's like you're not even given a chance to WANT them yet; some of these shows are still reran regularly on various cable channels as well, so who's going to want to spend the money to buy a season set on DVD (which all seem to have shot up to over $40 now), when you can watch these same episodes, litered with commercials, for free (ignoring the inevidable cable bill)?
I'm aware, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy (nor Stalag 17 for that matter), hence why they're on my wish list right now, lol.
Funny thing... a lot of shows had to stop doing reruns, out of fear that it would cut into DVD sales. Sure, I know there are people who rather wait for the DVD's come out to watch the shows all at once... Heroes is a show I'd tend to think would get that treatment. Nothing really makes sense until the second to last episode of the season anyway... and that wait can kill you if you're involved. But then again, it's like how new movies have hours of bonus features and older ones are lucky to have a trailer and commentary. These shows are MADE to be on DVD even before they air. It wouldn't bug me so much if these DVD's didn't include every single cable show that just premiered that no one's ever heard of. And don't get me started on the Discovery/Food/Travel channel....

Do you know if there's any rule or law that has cartoons of today air overseas before they air in the U.S.? The Ed, Edd n Eddy movie has already been aired overseas, but not here yet; while I remember years ago, a friend of mine in the U.K. would've already seen the new episodes of Courage the Cowardly Dog months before any of us in the U.S. got to see them.
The answer would be a long winded feverishly angry rant about Cartoon Network and the general cartoon industry in the US being killed by A) the FCC's deregulation in the 90's B) the insane, inane do gooder groups that don't want kids to see commercials C) The Disney Channel being so popular that every kid's network wants to be like them (and fails at it).

Rest assured that will be another topic for another day. I'm really seething over it myself.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Why is that? Why do certain shows or networks get the show out on DVD right after the last episode airs of that season. I'm one of these types of people who only buy the DVDs to watch them and enjoy all the extra stuff on them too.

If i watch any of the newer shows or new seasons that mostly means i'm not going to buy the DVDs seasons or Volumes sets at all. Why? Because either the DVDs have already been out for so long i've already seen every episode repeated on TV or i just don't care to buy the show at all.

One thing that gets me is the whole if the shows on TV there isn't going to be a DVD for it because it'll screw up the show on TV. I've always hated that. But also i know that if they were to do that it would do something to any of the DVDs that were out already or that might be in production.

I just wished that someone out there would in any of the TV Networks listen to us who are big fans in most of the stuff we watch or used to watched back in the day....would get there lazy butts off the couch or out of the computer sales of another show and bring us back to when DVDs were awsome and that shows were coming out left to right. I don't like that every show we ever watched has to have one of thoes things where everyone writes there name down for it ever to get it on to a DVD of some sort.

I don't mean to rant on being this is a DVD Want List and not rant on about DVDs that aren't out yet. Sorry and i beg my pardon.

But while I'm at it i'll add some shows i wouldn't mind seeing on DVDs.
Classic Disney Cartoon Series
GummieBears (Seasons 4,5 & 6)
Ducktales (Rest of the Episodes)
TaleSpin (Rest of the Episodes)
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers (Rest of the Episodes)
Darkwing Duck (Rest of the Episodes)
Bonkers
Goof Troop
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Classic Disney Shows

Welcome to Pooh Corner
Dumbo's Flying Circus
Kids Incorperated
The Mouse Factory
Adventures in Wonderland
Flash Forward (1996 TV series)
D-TV (Would love to see this come to DVD format)

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why is that? Why do certain shows or networks get the show out on DVD right after the last episode airs of that season.
Because if they released them as soon as they're produced, they'd cut into ratings. :smile: Like I said, like current movies are made for DVD, TV shows are made for DVD. And look how those sales affect everything. Family Guy and Futurama came back, not because of letter writing campaigns, but because of the DVD sales coupled with the great rerun ratings. There are shows that play better if you get the DVD's... but Heroes is the only one I can think of. I really wish I just bought the DVD's and didn't watch the show period.... there's so much stuff you need to pay attention to that pops out of your mind during the week- month wait in between episodes. I love the show and all, but if you see it all at once, everything makes more sense.

If i watch any of the newer shows or new seasons that mostly means i'm not going to buy the DVDs seasons or Volumes sets at all. Why? Because either the DVDs have already been out for so long i've already seen every episode repeated on TV or i just don't care to buy the show at all.
That's why certain shows don't get repeats. Pushing Dasies, Reaper... etc. so they won't ruin sales of the DVD's. When in fact, it ruins the experiance, and if you miss one episode of shows like that, you miss so much, and certain viewers never come back.

One thing that gets me is the whole if the shows on TV there isn't going to be a DVD for it because it'll screw up the show on TV. I've always hated that. But also i know that if they were to do that it would do something to any of the DVDs that were out already or that might be in production.
You knew about Toon Disney's airing of Marvel cartoons and the lack of DVD's, since they somehow got into owning all of Saban's back catalog (something I blame Rupert Murdock for), didn't you? Yeah... they refused to sell any Spider-Man DVD's despite the fact the movie came out. They didn't want it screwing up the ratings. Marvel didn't like that one bit. Seems they came to their senses with their X-Men releases.

I just wished that someone out there would in any of the TV Networks listen to us who are big fans in most of the stuff we watch or used to watched back in the day....would get there lazy butts off the couch or out of the computer sales of another show and bring us back to when DVDs were awsome and that shows were coming out left to right. I don't like that every show we ever watched has to have one of thoes things where everyone writes there name down for it ever to get it on to a DVD of some sort.

The problem is the people who are willing to listen don't get the licenses, and the people who hold the licenses don't care. Wanna know why The Real Ghostbusters took so long to come to DVD, and it was only a Time Life exclusive? Sony apparently has a bug up its butt about releasing "Kid's cartoons" in collector friendly formats. Even the Transformers/GI Joe stuff was in licensing limbo forever. Thankfully Shout released them... better than Rhino did, I might add. Though, i wish Shout stuck to Gadget and Heathcliff, and didn't just give up the rights. They did a great job with both that NCirlce and Fox refuse to do.

All and all almost 70% of the stuff I wanted on DVD at least got released... sure, they're incomplete syndicated Comedy Central rerun edits with songs missing... but they got out there. I want Disney to go back and release the rest of all the Disney Afternoon stuff they already released. It smacks of laziness that Rescue Rangers, Talespin, and Ducktales only needed ONE MORE release. I can overlook the no bonus features if they completed them. And why the heck isn't Entertainment Rights finishing off the 2 last lousy Bullwinkle seasons, even though they did give us George of the Jungle (granted, to promote that hideous new series).

But we have it pretty easy. There's no way the 2 companies that are hogging the Batman 60's show's rights will ever smarten up and just split the profits 50 50.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I want to see a GOOD release of Doug. Not that cheap, burn on demand thing that Amazon has. You are bound to encounter problems seeing as they are jut burned on a DVR disk.

A series set of Goosebumps. Not the series of DVDs they currently have with two episodes per disk.

Adventures in Wonderland

Are You Afraid of the Dark

Arthur...a consistent release of the seasons starting with the first. Not this weird thing they are pulling

Kim Possible. Why is it so hard to give us an American release?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Shows that have begun on DVD that I'd like to see completed on DVD:
  • The Muppet Show (of course!)
  • Newhart (still only one season...)
  • Get a Life - in season sets (only two single-disc releases exist)
  • all remaining Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies (yeah, it'll take some time)
  • Hey Arnold!
  • Peanuts 1980s and 1990s collections (even though most of the 1990s specials aren't very good)
  • SCTV
  • Darkwing Duck
  • The Simpsons (meaning I want the show to end it's run soon so the series CAN be completed on DVD)

And some other things I want on DVD:
  • Salute Your Shorts
  • Welcome Freshmen
  • The Star Wars Holiday Special (yeah, Lucas will allow that....)
  • The Jim Henson Hour
  • Muppets Tonight
  • The Bob Newhart Show (the short-lived variety show from 1964)
  • Bob
  • George and Leo
  • You Can't Do That on Television
  • Rugrats
  • That '80s Show
  • Taz-Mania
  • The Tracy Ulmann Show
  • The Complete Al

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
doug is on my so is some muppets and simpsons