FanFic Library Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
The problem I have with the melodrama regarding unfinished fics is that ...

1. I didn't mind it when mine had to be completed.
2. I have a couple of dead fics on fanfiction.net. I lost my inspiration. They died accordingly. I don't resent it if they are forgotten because I forgot about them in my heart.
3. Skimming is not the mod's problem.

I read a couple of unfinished fanfics for my review articles. I can understand some of the newer ones being unfinished, but how do you review the overall picture of the fic if there is no ending? I try to be very fair in my reviews. I don't (can't) always get to the chapter as soon as it's posted. I keep a mental note of email alerts but sometimes I have other priorities. I get to them when I can. I try to be constructive. Stories with a lot of emotion, whether it's tragedy or comedy, run the risk of falling flat in some areas. Not every episode of The Muppet Show was a runaway hit either. It's not personal, just constructive criticism of the product. I think all the stories I've been reviewing (lately) are great.

Trust me, I can understand being protective of one's fic. God knows it depressed me to have reviewers drop my stories after a few chapters (and not just the really really long one, either). Many of those stories (Comeback in particular) came from deep within my soul. That's why I finished it even when I ended up with basically one reviewer at the end. If one truly believes in the story, it doesn't matter whether there's a subsequent pat on the back or not. It has to give the AUTHOR pleasure writing it.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
The Count said:
*Another sigh... How is it my words keep getting twisted into what they're not meant to be?

The stories that were placed into the unfinished category were done so when the index was started. So to keep them there now isn't a punishment as you say it is. It's just a category I had to create for proper placement of such tales. *Guards self from saying something else that might be misconstrewed. Also, the change is rully just a way to justify my not wanting to have to add a story once into that unfinished category, then have to go back and move it to the finished category later. Best to add stories once as that's enough. Yes, the unfinished stories will get moved to the finished category upon their completion... Hope this explains as I'm rully not trying to pick on any one singular person. It's just that Prawny asked if his Mid-Age could be added, and I answered him matter-of-factly. *Leaves cookies for everyone.
Oh, I understand that now. And it looks like it's MY turn to clarify: I meant that it doesn't seem fair for NEW stories not to be added. But I do understand not wanting to add something twice.

I'm sorry if I seem to be sort of attacking you tonight, Ed. I really only meant it playfully at first, and then that big misunderstanding... I got into a very defensive, argumentative mood. <Passes a plate of freshly baked muffins> Truce?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm glad none of my crap is listed on this index; I just re-read my old Kathy Greenwood on Sesame Street fanfic, and I was actually embarrassed reading it!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean you didn't spot it there already? *Whistles, :shifty:
And thanks for that one-shot ancient Roman garment... *Huggles.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Could you add my "Elmo's World: Hugging" fanscript to the list? I didn't finish it as well as I could have, but fanscripts that copy the show in a serious tone do deserve a place here...many thanks!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Just made a few additions... Hopefully this will lead to those certain authors updating their unfinished works so they can be moved up in rank to the other shelf. :shifty

Status
Not open for further replies.