FanFic Library Index

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I have a question: Why were three of my fics listed as "other"? All of my fics are in the same universe or timeline. Not to nag, but it says they are separate when they really aren't.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I honestly thought they weren't as they didn't seem to connect with the Comeback trail. But LMK what order to put them in and it'll get taken care of pronto.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
In Chronological Order (not the order they were written, but the order of the events):

The Mighty Megalosaurus
Fridge Day
Fraggle Rock: Elder Clan Adventures
Because I'm a Villain
The Comeback King Saga
Jareth's Summer Bash (more or less, since it takes place sort of during Comeback King)
And If That Diamond Ring Turns Brass
Dinosaurs: Casting Pearl

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, everything's been put in order. Hope you like the title.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Thanks for fixing it. I realize the ones that take place WAAAAY before the Comeback King may not seem to fit, but the Dinosaur ones add to the characterization that Act 3 may have briefly touched on, while Elder Clan adds to the deal with minstrels and dangers to the Rock.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Dear Ed,

I'm afraid I have a matter to discuss with you.

As you are well aware, theprawncracker, Duke of Chutney, has a simply delightful tale in progress on this fine forum. In spite of his personal request, you have failed to add said tale to the Index, insisting that it be completed before its addition.

This greatly troubles me, as the Index contains a section for such incomplete tales. Failure to include only theprawncracker's incomplete tales would, then, be discrimination against prawns, as every other member is allowed to have their incomplete tales listed. I, for example, have several tales listed in that very section... A thought which led me to the discovery that, while you have previously added tales of mine to the Index without request, my most recent tale, that being "Half of the Stairs are Missing," is not yet there.

It would be prudent of you to end your outward discrimination against prawns and list theprawncracker's wonderful story in its proper place in this Index, and to include my own most recent venture as well. After all, it is rarely wise to cross the Queen.

Sincerely,

Her Royal Highness, the Queen of Fanfiction

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Dear Lisa:

Why do you see discrimination as something nasty? The true usage of the word is to simply decide one over another. As for your case of discrimination against your royal court, you misunderstand. Or do you oversit? It is a new choice made that stories won't be added as "New Additions" until completed. Aye, there are several uncompleted tomes already listed, but our position is that this gives authors, all authors and not just some mind you, the incentive to finish their fics in order to be added. It just happens that some authors have been diligent in that area, whereas others have not. Note that not only are your HOTSAM and the Duke's Mid-Age Crisis missing, but so too are Lemango's Muppets/Potter treatment and Caitlyn's Robotic Heart and miss Ailie's Roads. So, I would say you get to posting more chapters if you want tales of your own writing added. Thank you and have a good day.

Shriekcy,
Secretary to Mr. Castle, Bat-In-Chief.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Well, pardon my error, then. As this policy change was not particularly well advertised, I was unaware. Now that I have carefully examined the thread, I see that you casually mentioned taking "a bit of a stance" in that direction, in a post that was directed to a single, specific member. Those of us who, at best, merely skim a post that is directed to a specific individual other than ourselves have had no way of knowing of this policy. Might I advise you that, in the future, it could be more helpful to make a general announcement of such things. Since, as you say, your intent is to give authors an incentive to finish their stories, it would be useful for authors to know that the incentive exists.

Furthermore, I'm concerned about the inconsistency this policy creates in the Index. Of the five tales I have currently listed as "unfinished," I don't consider any of them to be permanently so. In your only post prior to this one that mentioned this policy, you said that tales would not be added to the "unfinished" list unless the author had notified you that it would remain unfinished. In that case, should all five of the stories listed under my name be removed? That's not the sort of index you originally presented. The spirit of this index, if I recall, was to catalogue ALL stories, finished or unfinished, old or new, so that readers do not have to scour the deepest archives of the forum to try to find a particular story from long ago, and so that new readers can easily enjoy the tales that predate their membership here.

If that IS the intended spirit of this index, then I don't see the use in punishing writers for starting new tales--which, as you know, can take YEARS to complete--after the invisible deadline.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Another sigh... How is it my words keep getting twisted into what they're not meant to be?

The stories that were placed into the unfinished category were done so when the index was started. So to keep them there now isn't a punishment as you say it is. It's just a category I had to create for proper placement of such tales. *Guards self from saying something else that might be misconstrewed. Also, the change is rully just a way to justify my not wanting to have to add a story once into that unfinished category, then have to go back and move it to the finished category later. Best to add stories once as that's enough. Yes, the unfinished stories will get moved to the finished category upon their completion... Hope this explains as I'm rully not trying to pick on any one singular person. It's just that Prawny asked if his Mid-Age could be added, and I answered him matter-of-factly. *Leaves cookies for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.