1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Halloween is just around the corner

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sgt Floyd, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Davina

Davina Member

I live in a neighborhood consisting of like 5 "circles".. in ours,. there's like 5 kids old enough/young enough to trick or treat, and the other circles are, give or take, about the same.. so, at most, we really only expect to max out at 30 kids, tops.. and really, we're surprised if we get that, cuz we live across from the fairground, where they always have a HUGE trick or treat/spook alley thing, so everyone goes over there.. makes it nice though, cuz we can go all out on the stuff we hand out to the kiddies.
    last year, though, we got a surprisingly large number of teenagers.. which i'm fine with, if they have younger kids in tow.. but you hit 16 and are still trick or treating, you better have a reason other then boredom or a need for a sugar fix... heh...
    so this year i've stocked up on some "teen only" type treats just for them.. (ya know.. raisins and such...) so they don't depleate the kiddie sacks like they did last year..

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

"Teen only'? You don't go trick-or-treating when you're a teenager, you're too old for that.

3. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

I stopped going trick or treating after the 6th grade. It was just that time to hang up the costume and call it quits.

I do find it odd seeing high schoolers still doing that. If you want some candy, ask your parents to get you bags of chocolate to munch on.

4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Lol, nice. :halo:

5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Grade 7 was the last year I went trick-or-treating, after that, I was a teenager, and when you're a teenager, it IS odd to go trick-or-treating... like toddlers still drinking out of sippy-cups, or David Puddy sleeping on Ziggy bed sheets.
    Lol, yep, it's true.

6. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Well-Known Member

My thing is, if high schoolers want to dress up in costume, throw a halloween costume party and invite your friends. No sense to have a costume party by yourself.

If you just want candy, go to the store and get all the candy you can eat.

7. heralde

Yup we did that, it was a blast!

8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It's not that odd, I went until I got out of high school and I did not care if I was too old (and no one said anything anyway:) ). I still dress up every year and buy too much candy and I do have cartoon bedsheets I collect thank you very much :coy:.

The thing is even now I have to be out of doors on halloween night no matter what, it just has a magical feeling that it is a waste to even think about missing...

But then, my favorite season is fall and my favorite holiday is halloween :excited:

9. heralde

It sort of reminds me of the masquerade balls Jim used to have for the company. It's great when adults can have that freedom that you sort of forget about later on. :)

10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It only has if you think it has and it has not to me. It is always there, you just have to listen...
    I think when you give up on having fun is when you really start to get old and die inside. I am in no rush to give into the part of aging which is within my control just because some nameless someone says one way of thinking is normal for 'someone my age'. They don't know me so how could they know what is normal and makes me happy inside?
    Ph:p When the societal standards are nothing but go to work, send the kids to college and then retire and wait to die me thinks your parents have it much better in their way of thinking than those other people ever will...
    That magic FR was always talking about? Well, the soul of Halloween is very much a part of it IMHO :).

11. Davina

Davina Member

I should probablly restate, that yes.. I'm all for older teens dressing up, too, but, I'm leary of them out TOT'ing.. it is sad that most of them don't bother to get into the whole dressing up bit.. if you're gonna.. go all out! I did trick or treating for unicef as a teen, and, ok, got some candy out of it, too.. but "I had a legit reason".. heh..
    It does just seem more "on the level" if they've got younger kids with them or something.. I mean, heck.. loads of parents would love it if the neighbor teen would take their kids out while they could stay home and hand out candy when other kids come to the door.. or there are spook alleys or parties for the older kids to go to. (heck, my church holds a trunk or treat every year as well, and we always dress up for that.. even dress the dogs up once in a while for it :) )
    Last year the only teen costume that stood out was the pregnant, tatooed, smoking nun... and that was mostly cuz of the smoking.. I mean, that was poor taste to start with, but then to be a teen smoking at my front door... I'm NOT going to reward such behavior with candy... maybe with a hose....(And being in Alaska, where usually you have to plan costumes to go over coats - which is also why there are a lot of indoor things.. that's a serious threat....)
    Meanwhile.. I've got to go back to planning a costume.. not for halloween as such, but for a Terry Pratchett convention next year... hehehe

12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I still don't understand the ageism linked with dressing up IMHO you do not need a reason and no age is too old, ever :p.

13. heralde

Good for you!

And I agree, dressing up is one thing, but trick or treating's not great after a certain point. And anyway, it's also fun to be the one to hand out the treats!

14. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

What's wrong with it? It's not at all creepy IMHO, everyone likes free candy. The egging houses and things, those are the things that should be looked down upon, not love of candy and walking in the fall night breeze :)...

15. heralde

Oh I agree, the "mischief night" nonesense is awful and should be frowned upon. It's not so much that I "frown upon" older people trick or treating, it's just that the givers of the candy are doing this for small children to make them happy because they can't buy it on their own. It's a treat for kids, not for older teens or adults who could get candy on their own. That's just my view on it. :)

16. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

But when it is not safe for very small children to be out in places and there is a lot of candy, and those people come from poor families, it is their only candy sometimes. Where I lived when I was little there was only one other house, they never had candy, my ma never really had candy even on halloween, and I was lucky if I got to be a bedsheet ghost. So I'm sorry if my love of things now that I can afford them or my feeling for poor teens like I was is taking away from some little child..but I really don't think it is :(

17. heralde

I understand. Life isn't easy sometimes, it's unfair.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is a good thing about getting older is that you're now in a better position to give and help children and the less fortunate. To make sure they have the things you didn't get to have. It is better to give than to receive. :)

18. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Oh, I give plenty, to others and to myself :). And I don't judge by age about it ether. Everyone is pretty poor here:sympathy:. But dressing just for the heck of it all day on Halloween just because it is Halloween should never be looked down upon ^.^

19. heralde

Glad to hear it! :)

20. heralde

Definitely, I'm fine with that. :)

I was just saying some things are there for kids to enjoy. And there always has to be adults to give and help them. We can't all be kids, some of us have to take care of them. Now of course, we can be childlike, that's different. :)