Having Each Other (Ush-Gush)

newsmanfan

Reaction score
---------------------
Well, the cameos are a bit lost on me, though of course I loved all your Henson references...and I well recall being shocked at the newspaper article the morning I read that Henson had been sick with "just a cold" a few days and then suddenly died. For years afterward I was anxious whenever someone I loved came down with a cold, sorry to admit... Your scene is nicely done and emotional without being overwrought; good job! But...er..."dropped a frozen ham"?! I assume Brian would get the inference!

I've wondered about Muppets aging. The implication is that they DO eventually die; J P Grosse seems to have; and in the Muppets movie jr novel, Fozzie has a line in Reno about saving the pillows, "they were Ma's", which suggests Mrs Bear is no longer around. Whatever the case, they do age much more slowly than us non-felted folk, so I imagine they would indeed be put through the pain of losing friends and loved ones as the years progress. Nice that you decided to touch on that.

Keep it up! :smile:
------------------------

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I am so glad that you guys liked this chapter! As for cameos: Brian and Lisa Henson, Alice as my human self, Locksy as Wiggie's human self, Jackson as muppetfan123( He sounds like a Jackson):smile: and I think that's it. Lisa(Toga) Will be here soon, as will Ed, Newsie, aunty ru and muppetfan123 will get a speaking part as well. :big_grin: in the next chapter however, Robin will be making a sweet and thoughtful entrance.:jim:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
---------------------
Well, the cameos are a bit lost on me, though of course I loved all your Henson references...and I well recall being shocked at the newspaper article the morning I read that Henson had been sick with "just a cold" a few days and then suddenly died. For years afterward I was anxious whenever someone I loved came down with a cold, sorry to admit... Your scene is nicely done and emotional without being overwrought; good job! But...er..."dropped a frozen ham"?! I assume Brian would get the inference!

I've wondered about Muppets aging. The implication is that they DO eventually die; J P Grosse seems to have; and in the Muppets movie jr novel, Fozzie has a line in Reno about saving the pillows, "they were Ma's", which suggests Mrs Bear is no longer around. Whatever the case, they do age much more slowly than us non-felted folk, so I imagine they would indeed be put through the pain of losing friends and loved ones as the years progress. Nice that you decided to touch on that.

Keep it up! :smile:
------------------------
Yes, i never really thought of that, but of course I haven't seen the movie yet. *Glares at mother* I suppose it's more of like fading away rather than dying...:sympathy:

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Chapter 6: Life

The train slowed as it entered the station. As passengers slowly filed out from the steaming machine, a small green bullet could be seen zipping around the station with a brown suitcase twice his size flailing in his wake. Catching site of his nephew, Kermit grinned and played a couple of notes to herd his nephew towards him. Playing the familiar notes of We Got Us, Kermit started to sing while his nephew continued to follow the sound.
Life is a funny thing
Sometimes you laugh and sing. Robin Foun Kermit and sang along with his uncle, hugging him tightly.
Sometimes you grumble and fuss
But either way what do we care?
We got us
Both forgs smiled and started to dance across the station floor.
We have our ups and downs. Kermit lifted his nephew up and caught him again.
Our share of smiles and frowns, both made a silly face while wagging a finger at each other.
But through it all we don't fuss
'Cause we got a special thing goin'
We got us
Kermit lifted Robin onto his shoulders, neither noticing the crowd gathering around them.
Some people like to go through their life single
Aw, that wouldn't suit us at all! Robin crowed, his sweet voice filling the station area.
Why sing a melody as a soliloquy
When its more fun to be Kermit answered, swinging the younger frog around in a circle.

People they say we are
Crazy the way we are
That we won't even discuss
'Cause what we got they can't smother, Kermit nuggied Robin, causing him to protest.
We'd trade our life for no other
They've only got one another
But weeeee goooooot uuuuus! Both sang together, harmonizing perfectly. The applause that welcomed them was enormous. Travelers stopped to take pictures and videos while others just enjoyed the sweetness of the moment. Kermit and Robin shared a wink, Kermit put his arm around his nephew's shoulder and bowed. Robin followed suit, grinning ear to ear. Soon the crowed dispersed, leaving both frogs to themselves. Picking up the luggage and his nephew's hand, Kermit walked to his old trusty bycicle. As they rode into town, Robin told Kermit about his many adventures at the swamp, often refering to how the swamp was nothing compared to the city itself. As Kermit pettled deeper into the city, Robin pointed at something to their far left. Slowing down, Kermit followed the younger's gaze. What he found was a burial taking place at the local cemetary.
"Uncle Kermit? Why are they placing that big box in the ground? Does it hold a treasure? Are they burrying a pirate's lost treasure?" Robin's voice suddenly became excited.
"Should we get some Ice Cream? Ice Cream sounds really good right now." Kermit replied, his voice becoming overly perky. Robin frowned but didn't disagree, after all, what six year old says no to ice cream? After a stop at the parlor and walking away with to dragonfly and cherry ice creams, Kermit finally spoke.
"Those people weren't burrying treasure, Robin." Robin's head tilted to the side, curious of his uncle's statement. "What's in the box used to have a beautiful gift, but that gift broke."
"What kind of special gift? Do I get one?" Robin asked, his eyes sparkling. Kermit smiled a little.
"You already have the gift. It's a frail sweet thing called life. It's what makes your heart beat, and is a road we all must travel." Robin was silent for a moment before speaking.
"So...that box held a person? Why were they burrying someone? It sounds dark and scary." Robin shivered for emphasis.
"Well, you see Robin. That person wasn't alive anymore. They've gone to better place, somewhere better than here." Kermit patiently explained, trying to not frighten his nephew.
"Better than the city? Can we go there, Uncle Kermit?" Robin asked, excited once more.
"You don't want to go there now!" Kermit exclaimed, a little horrified.
"But if it's so fun, why can't you go?" Robin asked, confused by his uncle's outburst.
"Death, that's where that person went, should happen naturaly. You shouldn't force yourself into it, and you most certainly shouldn't go ahead of your time. Heaven is a fun and beautiful place, but it shouldn't be your escape out of your life here." Kermit explained, hoping he was making sense. Robin frowned, slightly disappointed.
"So that person in the box left this life to go to another life that was better?" Robin asked. "It was their time and they went away from what they had and knew?" Kermit nodded.
"That's pretty much the basics." Kermit said, smiling softly. Robin shook his head .
"Then why didn't you say that in the first place?" he asked, giggling. Kermit scrunched his face, causing both to burst into laughter.
"You know," Kermit snickered, wiping at his eyes. Robin continued to laugh, but quieted when his uncle spoke. "that reminds me of a song my mom, your grandma, used to sing to us as tadpoles." Robin grinned at his uncle.
"Can you play it for me?" He asked, suddenly hopeful.
Kermit winked again.
"Do I love you?" Robin nodded, smiling. Strumming his banjo thoughtfuly, Kermit began to sing a slow sweet melody.

Lay down your head,
On yoor soft lily pad bed;
And dream while the stars watch o're you.

The grandmas' are sewing,
And soft wind is blowing;
So sleep while the night plays for you.

Now you are tadpoles, small and weak,
But someday you'll be tall and then you will speak.
Of the mountains and rivers, of large snowy peaks.
All while the stars watch o're you.

Life is a long string,
It's notes are a funny thing.
But even the longest rope comes to an end.
Its path is straight, and curvy.
Or just with one small bend.

The trees hide their leaves,
In the dark cold eves'
While we frogs lay and sing their song.
But while we are sleeping,
The wind starts a weeping.
And we just they just hum along.

The last notes hung in the air for a few moments, Kermit was thoughtful for a moment.
"Golly, that sure was pretty uncle Kermit." Robin whispered, his eyes drooping with sleep. Soon he was fast asleep in the basket of Kermit's bike. As he rode on, it was almost as if the trees were echoing his own song.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I am so glad that you guys liked this chapter! As for cameos: Brian and Lisa Henson, Alice as my human self, Locksy as Wiggie's human self, Jackson as muppetfan123( He sounds like a Jackson):smile: and I think that's it. Lisa(Toga) Will be here soon, as will Ed, Newsie, aunty ru and muppetfan123 will get a speaking part as well. :big_grin: in the next chapter however, Robin will be making a sweet and thoughtful entrance.:jim:
What does that mean a Jackson?
Thanks for putting me in the story though,

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
Well, I wrote this before you told me your real neame, so I thought Jackson fit you as a name...for now. Sorry!:embarrassed: Your welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed!:smile:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------
Figgie, I like your use of songs...um...could you pretty please use quotes or italics or something else to separate them from the text/action? While I was able to follow along, my brain is a little fried today and it made me squint and backtrack... BUT. I do very much like your choices. I don't know the second one; is it original?

Kermit having to explain death to a froglet must indeed be hard, although Robin is a very bright lad. I really liked your line about the dead person having had "a beautiful gift, but the gift broke"... being "broke", like an overused toy, is a sweet metaphor. Nicely phrased. :smile:

Erk...uh...when you say you're putting me in, you don't mean ME, right? I certainly have no objections to my namesake popping in. Wherever news is, he'll be there!

Wait wait wait, this just hit me. (See: brainfried...) Er...why is Kermit visiting Robin alone? Is this leading up to the "you're gonna have a cousin" talk? How come Piggy not with? Fragile though Kermit mistakenly seems to be treating her as, that girl ain't gonna sit around being delicate no matter WHAT her condition! But I'll shush, and sit back and watch and see wha'happa...

Keep it up! :news:
--------------------------

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Well, I dialed back into this one, Figgie, to see where you were going with this one. I'm getting a little whiplash from jolting from realistic scenes to patently silly ones (like the car) but I'm excited to see Kermit and Piggy expecting.

I'll be really frank with you (Someone else can be Jim!) and say that this sort of trauma-drama, especially with it's unrealistic elements, is not really my thing. I know maiming main characters emotionally or physically just for kicks is a staple of amateur fiction, but it's not my usual cup of tea, and I'll probably drop in and out but not review much. I do want to see where you are taking this story, because I like the idea of Kermit and Piggy having a child, but I'd rather see you use your writing skills to write a possible story--even with muppets and bouncing baby figs and anthropomorphic pigs and frogs--than just jerk us around from one harsh emotion to the next. I know that kind of storytelling is popular and plays to the masses because it is so emtionally manipulative, but it's not what professional writer's do (unless you are Lemony Snicket or are writing The Perils of Pauline) in mainstream books. Even in stories where the hero or heroine suffers a lot, there should be a point to the suffering, some larger truth revealed or greater goal striven for. Think Harry Potter. Even--if you must--think of Twilight, where there is a happy ending for almost everyone waiting at the end because of what they have suffered together. If I am going to cry over something that happens to characters I love, I want to believe in my own tears and not just weep for the sake of having a good weep.

Kermit should be elated about being a dad--not dismal and crabby and cranky about having to produce a movie. Wasn't that the dream he's always talking about--making people happy? So why is he so very miserable at this point in his life when (1) his career is shooting off into the stratosphere again, (2) he's married to the love of his life after finally admitting he loves her and wants to spend his life with her and (3) the most beautiful pig on the planet is having his baby, um, fig. Can the frog not cheer up already? And it would be okay to let Piggy show some common sense and not just blithely walk herself into traffic when she is cradling Kermit's precious progeny within her, or manhandle her new presumably adored husband without bruising him. That she is so careless of his babies inside her and so willing to hurt him seems, well, heartless of her, and she is a sow of strong emotions, as we have seen. Sweetie--these are characters who have exhibited courage and depth and amazing emotional range because of what they have faced together. It's okay to let them show a little of that.

Auntie Ru is apparently cranky tonight, but I am serious when I say that I think you are capable of writing real drama, not just melodrama. If melodrama was your intent, I heartily apologize and withdraw my un-asked-for advice. Please forgive me if I have overstepped or hurt your feelings by giving my heartfelt review when you asked for honest feedback instead of simply saying, "Great post! Can't wait to see what happens next!" I would like to see what happens next when you get there.

bouncingbabyfig

Reaction score
-----------------
Figgie, I like your use of songs...um...could you pretty please use quotes or italics or something else to separate them from the text/action? While I was able to follow along, my brain is a little fried today and it made me squint and backtrack... BUT. I do very much like your choices. I don't know the second one; is it original?

Kermit having to explain death to a froglet must indeed be hard, although Robin is a very bright lad. I really liked your line about the dead person having had "a beautiful gift, but the gift broke"... being "broke", like an overused toy, is a sweet metaphor. Nicely phrased. :smile:

Erk...uh...when you say you're putting me in, you don't mean ME, right? I certainly have no objections to my namesake popping in. Wherever news is, he'll be there!

Wait wait wait, this just hit me. (See: brainfried...) Er...why is Kermit visiting Robin alone? Is this leading up to the "you're gonna have a cousin" talk? How come Piggy not with? Fragile though Kermit mistakenly seems to be treating her as, that girl ain't gonna sit around being delicate no matter WHAT her condition! But I'll shush, and sit back and watch and see wha'happa...

Keep it up! :news:
--------------------------
I need to apologize, I thought I did do italics and quotes...Darned computer! AS for songs, I wanted to do a song that represented the bond of Uncle to Nephew... Yes, the second is an original from when I was younger. It's called Swamp Dreams. As for the part of Kermit visiting Robin alone, I didn't want Piggy to hog the spotlight..
:mad:: What?!
Me: I mean, uh, who can help it, you naturally atract spotlights...
:mad:: *Preens* Well, moi never has to try!
yeah, anyway. That and I was too tired to think of a way in how to represent her in that scene. Let's just say she was out shopping...And Kermit's gonna give him: You are going to be a cousin! Talk as well. Don't worry, Piggy would never let Kermie treat her like a delicate flower, besides, she has thorns.:wink: