1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Holy Crap, I'm Overwhelmed...

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by D'Snowth, Oct 1, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Why does everybody keep saying, "Dude! You're gonna be, like, so famous one day!"? Lol, I HIGHLY doubt that, people like Jim, and the Kroffts, and all those other people already made puppetry famous, I'm just doing my own thing, I'm sure I won't be anything other than obscure, lol. But I certainly don't want to go to Hollywood, I love this town too much, and if at all possible, I'm staying right here.
    Yes, Steve was pretty much inspired by that particular AM monster... like how that one writer took a liking to that red monster in the background and he later became Elmo. Long story short, when I was much younger, and I REALLY had my head in the clouds (moreso than now), I really did want to join the Muppets and work on SST, and I thought perhaps this purple monster could be a new character (I recall he would've been friends with Grover). At one point, just to try my hand at puppet building, I started building my own version of the character, just to at least have a puppet to play around with, then I later got appointed to be a substitute puppeteer for our upcoming PBS pledge drive since our usual puppeteer was unavailable, Steve was the only puppet I had, so I used him, the guys at PBS liked him and that's how he was born.

Matter of fact, one of my PBS colleagues (who has contributed quite a bit of input to my work) is pretty much responsible for Steve being such a big ladies' monster: somehow, he saw something potentially funny in Steve trying to flirt with different women, and I guess it paid off, since to this day, Steve's fanbase is more female than male, lol.

I will say this though: Steve is the ONLY puppet character of mine whose design was inspired by another already-existing puppet somewhat (there are a few differences between Steve and the AM Frazzletone), all other characters are completely designed 100% by me. And no, before anybody points it out, Easter Egg was NOT inspired by Jeanette of The Chipettes.
    muppetfan24/7 and CaseytheMuppet like this.
  2. D'Snowth

Boy I'll tell you what, one thing I would REALLY like to see happen down the road is being able to actually have a REAL puppet builder on staff. I sure as heck try my best, but my construction skills just aren't all that great. Bethany especially needs to be rebuilt... I don't know where I went wrong, I think I got a little too overconfident (I thought I was doing a great job until she was finished), but she ended up being a rather stiff and cumbersome puppet... though, I think part of the problem was the fur fabric I used, it's really heavy and thick, but it was all I could get.

The Squirrely Squirrels could be rebuilt too: I wasn't entirely happy with my original designs, but I built them anyway, then after all was said and done, I ended up coming up with character designs I liked much better... you can even see the difference for yourselves:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. Beakerfan

Beakerfan Active Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH *running around the thread tossing confetti and bottles of Grape Nehi*

THIS IS SO AWESOME.

BEST NEWS EVAAAAR!!!

I mean... *ahem*.... Congratulations, dear Radar.
  4. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

-----------------
    Am liking your sketches. Any builder could go to town, you've put so much nice detail into the drawings!

So what's the negotiation news?

-------------------
  5. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

This is awesome news mister! *huggles* I hope you said yes. One step at a time, even if it doesn't lead to anything it would be amazing experience to put on your resume and can help take your story ideas to the next level. Very very proud of you.
  6. D'Snowth

Yes, I am a stickler for detail... just the way I am. :halo:
    They haven't happened yet, but when they do, I will let you all know what goes down.
    ><

I was waiting to tell you personally... :halo: :halo:
  7. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Haha, it's okay! Who knew I would rise from the dead and spoil the surprise? :p Seriously I am very pumped for you, whatever happens will be a wild ride and an amazing learning experience. *huggles* :fanatic:
  8. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

I must say I like the drawings more than the actual puppets.
  9. D'Snowth

I am NOT a good puppet builder... I confess and admit that, I am NOT a good puppet builder.

But yes, the sketches are of the characters redesigned, while the actual puppets are of the previous designs that I didn't particularly care for, but still didn't know exactly how I wanted the characters to look at the time.
  10. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Congrats man. It MAY only be local TV NOW, but a LOT of people started out at the local level only to make it to the big time later on. So congrats on that.

Daniel
  11. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Jim Henson included.
    Fragglemuppet likes this.
  12. D'Snowth

Later than I wanted, but I FINALLY got to meet up with the TV people today.

I... I honestly am not sure just what I'm going to do here... they have two studios that can be used, however, they are incredibly small, and are pretty much only set up for like call-in or talk shows... not at all what I had in mind for a TV show with Steve, Bethany, and The Squirrely Squirrels... I mean, this is almost pretty much like what I've been doing with these miniscule YT vids all along, only with professional equipment as opposed to a digital camera and Movie Maker.

So, I'm really not sure what I should do at this juncture of my branching career, I don't know if I should look into other options, or maybe I could try to come up with some kind of little amusing little talk show format with Steve (then, I kind of feel like I'd be ripping off Noah Ginex's Jameson talk show).

But, there's updates for you guys.
    CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  13. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Think of it this way, you might not get another shot at being on tv unless you tried out for America's Got Talent, if anything, your youtube stuff might be more popular
  14. D'Snowth

Yeah, sometimes I contemplate becoming a partner channel to get more exposure... I mean hey, worked for Fred and Annoying Orange. :p

If anything, I can at least think that a good, basic setup could be Steve could be the host, Bethany can be the sidekick, The Squirrely Squirrels could be an incompetent house band or something, I dunno.

I can say that after seeing the cameras and editing and equipment and such, I'm glad that although everything is really state-of-the-art, modern, and up-to-date (the cameras are practically remote control, eliminating the need for cameramen), the projection is 4:3, which is great, I think.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

If you're getting a chance to work with professional equipment I would definitely take it. That kind of experience is invaluable. Opportunities like this don't come along every day and I wouldn't take them for granted. You can't afford to be picky when you're starting out.
  16. D'Snowth

I suppose you guys are right. I just don't know what like Steve and Bethany can just sit around and talk about for 29 minutes... and at four episodes at that... it's like what Caroll Spinney once said, if puppet shows get too talky and not enough action, it's not really interesting.

But I guess I really don't have any other alternatives at the moment... maybe sometime in the foreseeable future, if I ever get shots at making the puppet sitcoms I've been wanting to do since 2007, during hiatuses, I could still do STEVE D'MONSTER & COMPANY more like the show I had envisioned it would be (well, more kinda like Oscarfan, since a series of vignettes was more his idea/suggestion), and maybe perhaps some local affiliate of something would air it... and it'd definitely work well for me on YT.
  17. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Making due with limited resources is part of starting out in entertainment. You have to get creative.
  18. D'Snowth

I'm trying... boy am I trying... again, I just can't even picture in my mind what Steve and Bethany would sit around and talk about for 29 minutes... but I guess I can come up with something in the eleventh hour or so.

I will say this though, whatever "canon" may apply to The Joseph Scarbrough Universe, I don't think this would be included in it. Then again, I think the YT videos are kind of a separate canon in its own continuity... but I guess whatever "canon" is up for fans and followers to decide.

Speaking of which, I kind of wish that one of these days, if I had any significant projects under my belt, that someone out there would do like a Wikia wiki for me.
  19. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Good to hear an update on your progress. :) Though it's not entirely the best, if it were me I would take hold of this opportunity. This sounds like a great way for you to progress things further, and maybe this is the break that you need to actually get things moving in the direction that you are envisioning.

Of course, it's important to follow your heart and do what you feel is the best for your work...and I really hope that everything works out for the best for your puppetry. Stay creative. If you decide to use this opportunity, use your creative knowledge and wit to get you through it. Good luck to you. ;)
  20. D'Snowth

Yay, Hubert's back again too.