How Snuffy "just missed" the adults

SesameMike

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, Mr. Snuffleuppagas was never physically "invisible" to the adults. Rather, the grownup cast always managed to just miss seeing him, much to Big Bird's frustration.

Can't remember where I heard this, but it's been said that one of the reasons for introducing Snuffy to the adults was that the show's writers were running out of creative ways for the adults to just miss glimpsing him. What were some of the ways that was done over the 15-year "invisibility" period?

-- BB tried to introduce Snuffy to Mr. Hooper. "He wants to meet you." Mr. Hooper begrudgingly went to the front door while Snuffy was at the store's rear entrance. BB realized he was at the back door, so HH went there, as Snuffy went to the main entrance. HH: "Big... Bird. Big.... Bird. I don't see any Snuffleuppagas." They played musical doors a number of times before HH gave up, convinced more than ever that Snuffy was just a figment of Big Bird's imagination.

-- Mr. Hooper was sitting at a table reading a paper and wearing a pair of huge 1970s headphones (listening to music?) just outside his store. Someone tried to get his attention, but HH couldn't hear them. Finally, HH explained that the smooth part of the earphone blocked out ALL exterior sound. (Note: I've had headsets like that, and even the new noise-cancelling models were never 100% sound-proof, as this pair appeared to be.) Mr. Snuffleuppagas approached Mr. Hooper from behind and kept trying to say hello, but of course HH couldn't hear a thing. Snuffy repeated his call louder and louder, but still no response. Eventually, Snuffy decides to walk in front of him so HH can see he's there. With uncanny timing, HH put his head down on the table and put the newspaper over his head! (That actually shook the suspension of disbelief a bit for this little tyke.) Still no response, of course. Finally, Snuffy decided to physically tap HH with his snuffle. Again, no response, because by this time HH has fallen sound asleep. So Snuffy up and left.

-- Big Bird was adamant that the adults were going to see Snuffy this time, so with the whole cast sitting on the 1-2-3 stoop, Big Bird has Snuffy parade right past the doorstep. Just before the parade commences, one of the adults (I think Susan) decides that if Snuffy is imaginary, maybe they should try imagining him. So they all close their eyes and put their heads down as the same person echoes Big Bird's usual description of a large brown creature with lots of fur, etc... while Snuffy is quietly marching right past them.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
There was also an episode where Big Bird, Bob, Linda, Susan and Gordon (I think) went to the Metropolitan Opera, and BB announced that they came here to meet Snuffy, but just as they turn their heads to look at him, the fountain in front of the opera building automatically turns on, obscuring Snuffy from their view.

AAO

Reaction score
I wish they could have fixed these story lines a whole lot better sometimes. Some of them were GREAT! I mean, they were terrific ... but some seemed to obvious that the writers were running out of ideas. I saw the episode where Hooper ran back and forth trying to see him, but - never did. I really love Snuffy and Big Bird...they're my favorite characters on the show ...

BEAR

Reaction score
The other reason they decided to reveal Snuffy was because it was putting a negative idea into kids heads that if they told their parents something important that they wouldn't believe them. Sort of like the "boy who cried wolf" theory. Clearly, Snuffy actually existed, but the grownups never believed a word. What if it had been something REALLY important and no one believed him? Then what?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
the difference between imaginary and invisible

i don't think it's fair to say that Snuffy used to be invisible. In my opinion, "invisible" means it exists but can't be seen, while "imaginary" means it doesn't exist but the person who imagined it can see it.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
One strange ep I remember from the days of the invisible Snuffy

There was one episode I remember a while back where Big bird and the kids were talking about imagination and Snuffy walked in and decided to pretend to be a bunny rabbit and hopped down the street. Once he was out of sight Bob popped his head out of his window and asked what had happened "It sounded like a tree was going right through my neighborhood" Interesting how an imaginary character could create an earthquake on a real street

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I remember during the last season Snuffy was imaginary 1984/1985, Big Bird and Snuffy once went to the movies with a few of the humans from the Sesame Street cast. Actually Big Bird went with them, but he told them Snuffy would be there later. Well Snuffy arrived and him and Big Bird sat in the seats right behind the adults (I don't think Snuffy actually sat down being so big and all) and Big Bird kept saying something like "he's here now, hey everyone just turn around and you can FINALLY meet Snuffy!" the adults were so into the movie they didn't want to turn around and Bob said "Shhhhh, Big Bird we wanna watch the movie"

There was another time also during that same year when Big Bird was going to introduce Snuffy to David once and for all and prove that he wasn't imaginary. He had David stand outside his nest area door, and wait for Snuffy. Well David stood right beside the door and Big Bird swung open the door so hard, it hit David and sort of trapped him behind the door, keeping him out of view. Big Bird and Snuffy looked around and wondered where David was, Big Bird figured he got tired of waiting and walked away. After Big Bird and Snuffy went back into his nest area and closed the door, David was standing there with a stiff wacky look on his face from the door hitting him.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I remember during the last season Snuffy was imaginary 1984/1985, Big Bird and Snuffy once went to the movies with a few of the humans from the Sesame Street cast. Actually Big Bird went with them, but he told them Snuffy would be there later. Well Snuffy arrived and him and Big Bird sat in the seats right behind the adults (I don't think Snuffy actually sat down being so big and all) and Big Bird kept saying something like "he's here now, hey everyone just turn around and you can FINALLY meet Snuffy!" the adults were so into the movie they didn't want to turn around and Bob said "Shhhhh, Big Bird we wanna watch the movie"
Another great moment from this show (#2040):

Snuffy: "What time is it?"
BB: "It's early."
Snuffy: "Oh, dear. I told my mommy I'd be home early!"

--a line straight from 1968's "Hey, Cinderella"!

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, thanks for posting that. I was very young when Snuffy was imaginary, so all I really remember was Big Bird telling the adults where Snuffy was and Snuffy leaving at the last second, because he thought he heard his mother calling or something like that. I really don't remember all these creative ways that this gag was done, but when you think about it. It is kind of strange that a large group of people would keep missing seeing something that huge. It makes sense that this is another reason that Snuffy was revealed.

BEAR

Reaction score
I always thought that during that time atleast Snuffy somewhat suffered from ADD. Now before you jump on me, I must tell you that I am also legally diagnosed ADD so its not like I am making a joke. Snuffy never really had a very great attention spand, which is why he never really always stayed in one place waiting for Bird to come back with a grown up. He was restless. Just a theory