How Snuffy "just missed" the adults

Censored

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
To tell you the truth, I really never payed attention to the fact that snuffy was invisiable on any of those specials or movies.

He wasn't invisible.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Well, I think the implausibility was part of the humor. But, yes, the storylines did seem to get more and more implausible as time went on. Running out of ideas to the old joke (as well as thinking that the joke was responsible for all the child abuse in the world) were their main reasons for having Snuffy seen.

One has to wonder how much Snuffy really wanted to be seen because all he had to do was tap someone on the shoulder when they were turned around or jump in front of someone and say, "Hello..." LOL
They didn't think that the joke was responsible, they just simply thought it wasn't helping the problem.

Censored

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
They didn't think that the joke was responsible, they just simply thought it wasn't helping the problem.
I could understand that had Snuffy been a menacing character that Big Bird was afraid of and couldn't get anyone to take him seriously. But, Snuffy was Big Bird's best friend. To say that not believing in Big Bird's friend is similar to not believing children when they report abuse was a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Still, I do think it was time for Snuffy to be seen because the joke did run its course.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I could understand that had Snuffy been a menacing character that Big Bird was afraid of and couldn't get anyone to take him seriously. But, Snuffy was Big Bird's best friend. To say that not believing in Big Bird's friend is similar to not believing children when they report abuse was a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Still, I do think it was time for Snuffy to be seen because the joke did run its course.
Well, is not so much that the parents would'nt believe there children, It's that children thought that if the grown ups didn't believe Big Bird, that meybe a grown up they loved or trusted wouldn't believe them if they tried to tell them something that was true, so if it should have to come to that, they wouldn't be afraid top speak up because they were afraid nobody would believe them.

Censored

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Well, is not so much that the parents would'nt believe there children, It's that children thought that if the grown ups didn't believe Big Bird, that meybe a grown up they loved or trusted wouldn't believe them if they tried to tell them something that was true, so if it should have to come to that, they wouldn't be afraid top speak up because they were afraid nobody would believe them.
I know that was the popular belief when they changed it, I just question whether or not it was valid. I don't feel that watching those old episodes with Snuffy made me vulnerable to abuse and I think parents could allow their children to watch these episodes today with a clear conscience. I think the tragedy of child abuse and trust in families goes far beyond a television show. JMO

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
To tell you the truth, I really never payed attention to the fact that snuffy was invisiable on any of those specials or movies.
I could be wrong about what you might be thinking, but even though he was thought to be imaginary in those productions, there was no mention of him being imaginary, there were no scenes where Snuffy left right before the other characters arrived (although in FTB, when Big Bird really does imagine Snuffy, he stops imagining Snuffy right before Ernie and Bert fly their plane past Big Bird), and in FTB, the only characters who Big Bird talks to about Snuffy are the Dodos, who are not regular characters, and by the way they respond about him being a Snuffleupagus instead of a bird, it is hard to tell if they beleived Big Bird or not.

AAO

Reaction score
It does all add up later when you see "Follow That Bird" - but oh well. But what would have been great is if Snuffy snuck away to find Big Bird and ended trapped with the Sleaze Brothers and later Big Bird went to "Snuffy's" rescue! Then they'd both be trapped!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AAO said:
It does all add up later when you see "Follow That Bird" - but oh well. But what would have been great is if Snuffy snuck away to find Big Bird and ended trapped with the Sleaze Brothers and later Big Bird went to "Snuffy's" rescue! Then they'd both be trapped!
There was a book called Big Bird Visits The Carnival (i could be wrong on the title) which is slightly based on the movie. In this book the carnival comes to town, at a walking distance from Sesame Street. Big Bird planned on going to the carnival with Snuffy, but Snuffy couldn't go because he had to practice soem tricks for soem reason. So, Big Bird went alone and ended up meeting the Sleeze brothers, who let him perform on stage at the carnival. They paint him blue and Big Bird willingly performs on-stage, but then they lock him in a cage. Later that night, Snuffy decided to go tot eh carnival to look for Big Bird (even though the carnival was probably closed) and found Big Bird in a cage. Snuffy had learned a special trick that he'd been wanting to do for awhile but hadn't gotten the opportunity. While the sleeze brothers were busy counting their money, he sneakily took the keys from the pocket of one of the brothers without getting caught, and Big Bird was freed. In this book we never got to see their reaction to losing Big Bird. Anyway, I think this book was one of the few times that it was a good thing that others didn't see Snuffy. And yes, it was mentioend a few times in this book (by oscar) that Snuffy was Big Bird's imaginary friend.

Does anybody know if Big Bird ever barely missed Snuffy in the way that the adults missed him?

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:

Yeah, he was never invisible or imaginary to begin with.