How Snuffy "just missed" the adults

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
And yes, it was mentioend a few times in this book (by oscar) that Snuffy was Big Bird's imaginary friend.
The funny thing about Oscar is he actually met Snuffy sometime in the midst of the 16th Season, just a handful or so of episodes before all of the humans met him. It always puzzled me why they decided to have Oscar meet Snuffy first. I take it this book must have been written right before that episode was taped. Does anybody remember the episode when Snuffy first met Oscar? I remember Snuffy was supposed to meet Bob for the first time, out in front of Oscar's Trashcan, but Bob stepped away, and that's when Snuffy ended up meeting Oscar. I remember this episode ended in the area right between the steps and Oscar's can at night, with the nighttime music.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, the book was written to promote Follow That Bird, and was most likely written before oscar met Snuffy (also, storybooks don't always follow continuity with the series, and vice versa). It's strang ethat it seems like they were trying to avoid direct mention of Snuffy being Big Birds imaginary friend (I would guess they purposely didn't bring it up since it was made so soon before the adults finally met snuffy and the writers probably knew about the episode and decided not to make the movie dated) yet the book mentions him being "imaginary" a few times.

When oscar saw Snuffy, did he refuse to tell the adults that Snuffy was real (being a grouch he would probably want Big Bird to suffer from others not believing him), or did he tell the adults and they thought he was playing a mean trick on them or something, or was there no further contact with oscar and the adults for him to get the chance to talk about Snuffy?

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Is there anyone else who has seen the Oscar meets Snuffy episode from 1985?

I'm pretty sure Oscar told Susan at the end of the episode. It was night time and I remember first she went to Big Bird's nest area, to tuck him in for the night. They had a conversation, and I can't exactly remember what they said, but I can't remember much of what they talked about, then she went around the other side to Oscar's Can and had a chat with him. I'm not 100% sure, but I think he did mention something to her about meeting Snuffy that day. But she probably did think he was just playing a trick on her. Is there anyone on this board who remembers this episode, and remembers exactl what happened? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
In the very first episode, Gordon's very first words to Sally were: "You're gonna love Sesame Street, Sally. EVERYTHING happens here!" We see Muppets and monsters interacting with the kids and the grown-ups, but after 15 years, the grownups still stubbornly refuse to believe that Snuffy could possibly exist. So right away, Snuffy was not part of "EVERYTHING".

I remember one episode towards the end of the "just missed Snuffy" saga, where all the adults were still dismissing Big Bird.

Susan: "Can you PROVE he's real?"
Big Bird: "Can you prove he's NOT???"

And for once, the normally level-headed Susan was stuck for an answer.

It always seemed to unsettle me. With all the other wonderful things that have occurred on the street, and even using the power of imagination to help some things become real, none of the grownups would give Big Bird the tiniest bit of slack, to even consider "Well, maybe he COULD be real".
So it was satisfying when Snuffy finally did get revealed.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I know that was the popular belief when they changed it, I just question whether or not it was valid. I don't feel that watching those old episodes with Snuffy made me vulnerable to abuse and I think parents could allow their children to watch these episodes today with a clear conscience. I think the tragedy of child abuse and trust in families goes far beyond a television show. JMO
Maybe they were just taking percaution.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I could be wrong about what you might be thinking, but even though he was thought to be imaginary in those productions, there was no mention of him being imaginary, there were no scenes where Snuffy left right before the other characters arrived (although in FTB, when Big Bird really does imagine Snuffy, he stops imagining Snuffy right before Ernie and Bert fly their plane past Big Bird), and in FTB, the only characters who Big Bird talks to about Snuffy are the Dodos, who are not regular characters, and by the way they respond about him being a Snuffleupagus instead of a bird, it is hard to tell if they beleived Big Bird or not.
I sure your right, It was just the show.

AAO

Reaction score
Yeah, Snuffy wasn't imaginary - he was real the entire time - the adults just "missed" him so to speak by turning the corner at the wrong time or something like that.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I'm well awear of this fact, It's just that when I was growing up, during summer reruns, they used to air episodes way before my time ( they did the same thing with Mister Rodgers Neighborhood), and I just did not notice the whole snuffy thing back then.