How Snuffy "just missed" the adults

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It just seems awkward now to think of snuffy as imaginary seeing that I an too young to remember any of this, and I have seen quite a few episodes before my time because they used to air them a lot.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
It just seems awkward now to think of snuffy as imaginary seeing that I an too young to remember any of this, and I have seen quite a few episodes before my time because they used to air them a lot.
I know what you mean, but it all makes sense when i watch some of the older specials like Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and Follow That Bird because Snuffy is never in a scene with anyone else other than Big Bird and maybe another kid (like Patty).

Rosewood

Reaction score
More proof that he was real from the start

One of the earliest episodes involving Snuffy showed him actually walking down the street with everyone there, but, by fate or coincidense, everyone is so wrapped up in there own business that they simply don't notice him. At first it makes you wonder if he realy IS imaginary, because you think "It's imposible for ALL these people to be so busy that they wouldn't notice something as BIG as Snuffy!" But when Luis comes walking down the street, carrying a bunch of boxes, (which are blocking his view), he actually bumps into Snuffy, whitch proves he's real. Luis appologises profusely, and does a turn-about, (which takes him around the big lug), and continues on his way.

Another time is when David is going up to Big Birds door to ask him a question, and he hears the 2 talking. He knows a voice that low couldn't be Big Bird, and he runs to tell everyone. Meanwhile, Big Bird and Snuffy decide to go see a Shirley Temple movie and simply exit the playground area, stage right, without using the door, and by the time David gets everyone to come see, they are both gone. At this point, everyone thinks David is either nuts or was playing a practical joke and leaves the playground area, leaving David flustered and embarased at the door. But right after the door closes, David suddenly hears Snuffy and Big Bird return. Snuffy says "Gee, I'm sorry Big Bird. But I've seen that Shirley Temple movie at least 6 times." Big Bird says "Oh, that's okay Snuffy. I've seen it at least 4 or 5 times myself. I know! Let's go to my nest and watch telivision!" David is listening to all this from outside the door, and is just about to open it to proove to himself that he isn't hearing things, but then simply decides against it and walks away!:stick_out_tongue:

Censored

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I know what you mean, but it all makes sense when i watch some of the older specials like Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and Follow That Bird because Snuffy is never in a scene with anyone else other than Big Bird and maybe another kid (like Patty).

That was another interesting thing. It wasn't just Big Bird who knew Snuffy was real, but all of the human kids on Sesame Street too. That should have tipped the adults off a little bit. It's one thing to think Big Bird has an imaginary friend, but all the kids on the street having the SAME imaginary friend? Yet, the human kids never seemed to get into the same arguments with adults about it.

Censored

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Well, thanks for posting that. I was very young when Snuffy was imaginary, so all I really remember was Big Bird telling the adults where Snuffy was and Snuffy leaving at the last second, because he thought he heard his mother calling or something like that. I really don't remember all these creative ways that this gag was done, but when you think about it. It is kind of strange that a large group of people would keep missing seeing something that huge. It makes sense that this is another reason that Snuffy was revealed.

Well, I think the implausibility was part of the humor. But, yes, the storylines did seem to get more and more implausible as time went on. Running out of ideas to the old joke (as well as thinking that the joke was responsible for all the child abuse in the world) were their main reasons for having Snuffy seen.

One has to wonder how much Snuffy really wanted to be seen because all he had to do was tap someone on the shoulder when they were turned around or jump in front of someone and say, "Hello..." LOL

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I guess you're right. If he really wanted to be seen, he might have stuck around for a while when people showed up. After all, it does mention how shy Snuffy is in "Sesame Encyclopedia." I guess he was much shyer back then than he is now, which is understandable. I was sort of the same way for quite a while, but now I'm a lot less shy than I used to be.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
It's funny how some of the Muppets actually knew Snuffy back in the old days too. You'd think if the humans heard the other Muppets talk about him they would believe it a little more. I wonder if there ever was any episodes when other Muppets other than Big Bird tried to tell the adults about Snuffy. Somehow I doubt it. I think for some reason they just kept it to themselves. That was kind of mean, they should have helped Big Bird more. Okay I'm getting a little too wrapped up in this. Haha :concern:

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, this was previously discussed on another thread. I was thinking if someone like Bert or Grover saw Snuffy he could have told the others that Big Bird was telling the truth about him. Food for thought.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Yeah, this was previously discussed on another thread. I was thinking if someone like Bert or Grover saw Snuffy he could have told the others that Big Bird was telling the truth about him. Food for thought.
Yeah, I'd think the grown ups would have definitely believed Bert if not anyone else. I don't think they would have blamed his imagination. You think Bert would imagine something like that? I don't think so.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
BEAR said:
To tell you the truth, I really never payed attention to the fact that snuffy was invisiable on any of those specials or movies.