I Love the 90s MC thread

wwfpooh

Reaction score
What I meant was--as much as fans enjoyed those shows--I could see where concerned folk come from, considering JV was working on Johnny (the Homicidal Maniac), Squee!, Filler Bunny, and Zim all at the same time & all of them used the same gross, somewhat gory-at-times, and all-together different formula of entertaining, just as Tim Burton had done--and has continued to do--in regards to the film industry with films like Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride, and even the Pirates saga.

Redsonga

Reaction score
What I meant was--as much as fans enjoyed those shows--I could see where concerned folk come from, considering JV was working on Johnny (the Homicidal Maniac), Squee!, Filler Bunny, and Zim all at the same time & all of them used the same gross, somewhat gory-at-times, and all-together different formula of entertaining, just as Tim Burton had done--and has continued to do--in regards to the film industry with films like Beetlejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas, Sleepy Hollow, Corpse Bride, and even the Pirates saga.
With Tim Burton I always felt like his dark take on the world was a more friendly one, rather that being gross for it's own sake (expect for Beetlejuice) ..I don't know why *lol*:smile:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Too bad two of the more risque Nicktoons--Ren & Stimpy and Invader ZIM--fell by the wayside, because their creators either got the shaft or decided to quit due to "creative differences" in how the shows ought to have aired. But then again, the creators of R&S and IZ--for instance, Johnen Vasquez for the latter--stood by the different, weird, gross, and even disturbing at times.
Ren and Stimpy probably would have worked better on MTV back in the 90's when the channel was also showing shows like Beavis and Butthead since Ren and Stimpy humor was probably beyond your average Nick cartoon show. Atleast in my opinion!

wwfpooh

Reaction score
With Tim Burton I always felt like his dark take on the world was a more friendly one, rather that being gross for it's own sake (expect for Beetlejuice) ..I don't know why *lol*:smile:
Maybe it is because one's grown accustomed to Burton's dark take on the world, due to one being a fan of his work? ^_^

For example, I am a fan of the Beetlejuice franchise (movie & cartoon), as well as a fan of the Pirates saga (Yo Ho, It's a Pirate's Life for Me; although I prefer the ride to the films, as a Disney purist, at times).

And need I mention that Sleepy Hollow is my favorite early-American Halloween-themed classic tale? XD

As well, this has to do with the 90's, because Tim Burton released many of his films during that time period, the Beetlejuice cartoon was on the air, the idea of retooling the Pirates ride was first considered then, and the tale of Tarry Town's resident cranium-challanged spook with a Hessian background was retold in various forms.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I love the Beetlejuice cartoon, but the live action movie was too much for me..I think it was their souls dying again in their wedding clothing, and the fact that the first time I saw the movie was around the time my grandma died so...the subject of death tied with that movie is not a good one for me...

Where as in TNBC everyone seemed to be always dead so their death was sort of life in a way..and the Beetlejuice in the cartoon was more lovable and I shipped him and Lydia together...I'm thinking about being her this Halloween :smile:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
and I shipped him and Lydia together
I think a majority of fans--and heck, even some of the more oddball creators of the series (probably even Burton himself, considering he tried marrying them off in the film prior to the cartoon, anyhow)--did that! XD

In the words of BJ himself, "I'm such a dog" and this was applied in more ways than one, given BJ's gross sense of humor & of course, Lydia accepting said crudeness (due to herself being "strange & unsual") didn't help matters, any! *lol*

Anyway, the show was a hit with fans--who had a wonderful day-o each time they watched & who thusly probably couldn't help opting to jump in the line of being the first to see the series online--and it was one of the non-Nicktoon treasures on Nick's block during the 90's before it went to CN and finally, into cartoon obsurity. ^_^

But to back off of the subject of Burton & "The Ghost With The Most" and return to the point of discussing the 90's, another hit of the 90's was the re-invention of Batman via Batman: The Animated Series. The same would apply to Bruce's DC colleages and even to DC rival company, Marvel, as many superhero franchises would once again see animated form in the 90's, just as they had years previous, but this time, the shows themselves would be--for fans--edgier.

Redsonga

Reaction score
He was sweet in the cartoon but I would so get him to get his teeth fixed :smile:..and make sure his feet don't run away from him again *lol*

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Another love of the 90's...Computer games. And one staring a female ex-detective-turned-theif in a red fedora leading a vile organization became so much of a hit that it spawned multiple variants in the years that followed, as well as created two game shows (one of which is still a hit, as seen on YouTube & in terms of what it did for a certain acapella group's career via the catchy theme song, whilst the other sort of floundered and tanked due to the lackluster prizes and digital change in format) and an emmy-winning cartoon series.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
There are episodes up of the PBS gameshow "Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego" on youtube for your watching enjoyment.