I Love the 90s MC thread

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You know, I didnt like Beetlejuice. I also didnt like Edward Scizzorhands.

But I love TNBC and Sleepy Hollow. I also like James and the Giant Peach now, but I used to hate that movie when I was little :smirk:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Love Carmen Sandiego and the video game series as well! Love James And The Giant Peach! Love "Ren & Stimpy" and "Batman The Animated Series". Love Animaniacs better than Tiny Toons.

I have to admit that I used to not be interested as in Batman the animated series and Ren & Stimpy and than I used to like Tiny Toons better. But my tastes have changed.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Batman the animated series I've always liked, just like the X-Men cartoon..It's just Ren & Stimpy I dislike :smile:. I don't dislike Animaniacs it's just not my favorite..Maybe it because I always felt sorry for the mime and wanted to save him from all the bad things that happened to him :frown:

armslength

Reaction score
MTV (owned by the same parent company) DID actually air Ren & Stimpy - in fact it was on MTV's airings when i first discovered it.

John K eventually left due to creative differences and many attribute that as R&S's decline, and while it certainly didn't help, John K was taking it in pretty poor directions before the departure as some of the second season stuff that eventually came to light that he worked on came out - season 1 was just a wild ride...season two with or without John K's charm just had none of the fun obscurity, just a continual gross-fest with no real good humor/jokes.

Which is a huge shame - because before it all went south, the very last episode from the first season (which Nick withheld for so long because they really hated it...i think MTV aired it first) "Black Hole/Stimpy's Invention" was not only the all-time funniest R&S episode, but i would rank it one of the funniest cartoons EVER.

I also admire JK for his personal goal to not ever use the same expression on a character twice where other cartoons are always so on-model that they're horribly static (expressions MAKE the cartoons! imo)

Drtooth

Reaction score
John K eventually left due to creative differences and many attribute that as R&S's decline, and while it certainly didn't help, John K was taking it in pretty poor directions before the departure as some of the second season stuff that eventually came to light that he worked on came out - season 1 was just a wild ride...season two with or without John K's charm just had none of the fun obscurity, just a continual gross-fest with no real good humor/jokes.
Lets not forget... his show was always overdue and over budget as well. So it was a mix of his more adult vision and his going over budget that made Nick do what it did. Personally, they should have just cancelled it, but they were still making money off of it. And while some of the episodes were good (Stimpy's Cartoon show) we got a lot of poorly animated, poorly concieved ideas like Farmhands.

However, I will say that Jonan Valazquez was totally niave if he thought he could get away with anything on a kid's cartoon. Heck, I'm surprised they got away with what they were able to get away with. If THAT was on MTV, surely they'd give him more freedom. Considering his audience was mostly an older audience, it should have been anyway.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
1. It's spelled Johnen Vasquez & indeed, he should've done his homework in regards to knowing Nick's standards, but remember, it was Nick's execs who allowed him to work for them without knowing how JV himself operated.

2. Even if JV's original vision of a melodramatic and ego-centric alien attempting to take over Earth (involving gory dismemberment [due to the Irken race--no matter it be Zim, Tak, Skooge, or the Tallest themselves--using human parts for experiments], intense sexual situations [which would be better left unsaid, due to having semi-evil aliens using stupidly ignorant humans as mere planet-conquering tools, the Membrane kids excepting, of course...even if Dib is a clone of the Professor & no one really knows what Gaz seems to be, thanks to her demonic tendencies and weird acceptance of Zim, due to her shared hatred towards Dib and humanity in general], and graphic violence [due to Zim & Dib's constant fighting, which would result in Dib's demise and a short-lived victory for Zim]) had reached MTV, would it have lasted, due to Viacom owning both Nick and MTV Networks?

Drtooth

Reaction score
2. You may be right that MTV would've allowed for a more adult-themed Zim that fit JV's original version (full of gory dismemberment [usually due to the Irken race taking human parts to experiment on, regardless of whether it be Zim, Tak, Skooge, or the Tallest themselves doing the experimenting], graphic violence [due to Dib & Zim beating each other, until Dib was to be killed, leaving Zim victorious for a limited time], & intense sexual situations [left unsaid, due we'd have semi-evil aliens getting with--sans the Membrane children--stupidly ignorant humans...in this case, to conquer the planet]), but would it have lasted, considering Viacom owns both MTV and Nick?
Well, we're on two different levels here. I'm sure that MTV if they made it a TV 14 type show, they have let him get away with mutilation and death. You can't even mention death in a kid's cartoon. Characters get injured and somehow never come back (look at various kid's anime dubs). Batman TAS got away with murder. Litterally. And gunplay, and even the odd moment of sexual tension between Harley and the Joker. And even then they had to tone stuff down.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
The point I'm getting is that--no matter it be on Nick or MTV--would Viacom have let JV get away with what he wanted? And from JV's view, no. Sadly, as a result, JV said he'd never work in animation again, thereby granting all rights of IZ to Viacom.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
Well, we're on two different levels here. I'm sure that MTV if they made it a TV 14 type show, they have let him get away with mutilation and death. You can't even mention death in a kid's cartoon. Characters get injured and somehow never come back (look at various kid's anime dubs). Batman TAS got away with murder. Litterally. And gunplay, and even the odd moment of sexual tension between Harley and the Joker. And even then they had to tone stuff down.
I'm sure you can on MTV, since it's MTV. After all, they had Beavis and Butthead doing and saying all sorts of crazy things.

On the topic of Batman, the cartoon show was more sophisticated than any other cartoon I had seen during that time period. But so was some of the humor on Animaniacs.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I agree that some of the episodes of Ren & Stimpy were alright after the falling out of John K. and Nick.