Is there an overrated/underrated Muppet production?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Time to make people mad :big_grin:

I think The Great Muppet Caper is overrated. I just cannot watch that movie all the way through. Theres just something about it that I did not like. I cant really say what. I thought the Happiness Hotel song/scene was the only good thing in that movie. Maybe I thought the plot was just to cliched or something. I dunno.

And I also like Muppets From Space :stick_out_tongue:

And actually, I think the Dark Crystal is overrated (though, overrated may be a subjective term here) too. Tat movie is just too long and boring. The characters all move really slow and nothing seems to happen. However,its a great movie in the sense that it showcasesthe possibilities of what puppetry can acomplish. Just as a movie for enjoyment...blah
Wow, the total flipside of my opinion. Must be an age or generational thing, but I commend your bravery here. A tip of the crushed bowler cap to you! :embarrassed:

Redsonga

Reaction score
The Great Muppet Caper is my favorite of the older movies :\. It's not a generation thing, I think grouping us into generations by likes is a bit silly :smile:.
Really, I think too many people may be linking overrated with 'I don't like this'. I mean, if we are doing it that way then just about everything muppets is overrated and unrated all together...
I think it comes to todays tv, everything older than MTI is underrated to many non-fans. I actually think Fraggle Rock, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are very underrated, and The Storyteller even more so. Anything that doesn't showcase the main muppets is almost always forgotten to people that don't still remember them...
As far as the main muppet go I think At Disneyworld is very overlooked to :smile:.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The Great Muppet Caper is my favorite of the older movies :\. It's not a generation thing, I think grouping us into generations by likes is a bit silly :smile:.
Really, I think too many people may be linking overrated with 'I don't like this'. I mean, if we are doing it that way then just about everything muppets is overrated and unrated all together...
I think it comes to todays tv, everything older than MTI is underrated to many non-fans. I actually think Fraggle Rock, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal are very underrated, and The Storyteller even more so. Anything that doesn't showcase the main muppets is almost always forgotten to people that don't still remember them...
As far as the main muppet go I think At Disneyworld is very overlooked to :smile:.
The nods to classic cinema in Caper and the sublte, quiet moments in Crystal cited in that post pointed to that being the case in *that* particular instance. I never said it was *all* instances. sigh...:rolleyes:

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Time to make people mad :big_grin:

I think The Great Muppet Caper is overrated. I just cannot watch that movie all the way through. Theres just something about it that I did not like. I cant really say what. I thought the Happiness Hotel song/scene was the only good thing in that movie. Maybe I thought the plot was just to cliched or something. I dunno.

And I also like Muppets From Space :stick_out_tongue:

And actually, I think the Dark Crystal is overrated (though, overrated may be a subjective term here) too. Tat movie is just too long and boring. The characters all move really slow and nothing seems to happen. However,its a great movie in the sense that it showcases the possibilities of what puppetry can acomplish. Just as a movie for enjoyment...blah
Eh, my dad doesn't like GMC or Dark Crystal either. Can't vouch too much for MFS, though because I hate sci-fi (but love The Twilight Zone) and disco/funk. :stick_out_tongue:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
In some cases, to think something is overrated does coincide with not liking it. It just happened that what I thought was overrated I did not like. But there are lots of things I think are overrated that I do like. None of them are muppet related so they are irrelevant :stick_out_tongue:

Powerstars

Reaction score
MUPPETS WIZARD OF OZ!!! It wasn't a GREAT movie, but the worst one? I also think the Muppets Christmas Carol is overrated. Good movie, but not as much as everyone makes it out to be.

Drtooth

Reaction score
MUPPETS WIZARD OF OZ!!! It wasn't a GREAT movie, but the worst one?

Yes.... Yes it was.

The project suffers from too many failures to want to list... but the biggest problems were a rushed project all around, stunt casting, and overall just sticking with a bad idea of retelling a story told too many times (and not enough times done right). it has moments, but not quite enough. Had it even had a few more months, maybe a year, it would have been at least servicable. Even a better actress as Dorothy. Actually... an actress as Dorothy.

I also think the Muppets Christmas Carol is overrated. Good movie, but not as much as everyone makes it out to be.
I completely agree. It's a beautiful, well written, well crafted movie, and a wonderful retelling of the overtold tale. But overall, it's pretty dull as a Muppet project. The Muppets seem like they've become the cameo guests in their own movie. Instead of Kermit and Piggy walking into a restaurant and having Steve Martin as their waiter, Michael Cain walked into the past version of his school boy days, and Sam's the teacher. Fozzie's his old boss and has like 5 lines... yet a human that Scrooge dated, though integral to the plot, gets a full musical number to herself. Compare that with Mickey's Christmas Carol... Daisy Duck plays the exact same role, and gets less than 2 minutes combined screen time.

Powerstars

Reaction score
Okay, re-watching the Muppet's Wizard Of Oz, it's okay. It probably is the worst. It suffers from one of the same problems of Muppet Christmas Carol. The main role goes to a human, and she does a bad job anyways. Ya know, I was expecting Piggy as Dorothy. I do like Toto as Pepe though. Oh, and one of the lines just makes me cringe. "What do these things do?" "Oh, nothing, those are my nipples." Gonzo doesn't even HAVE nipples! Oh, another scene I liked was the one with Tarantino. But, yeah, for the Muppets, it's pretty bad.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
MWoO is where I really started despairing that things could ever get better (thanks Jason Segel for proving me wrong, hehe).