Kermit Swamp Years - Opinions

muppetsforlife

Reaction score
I really liked it. But I like just about all of the muppet stuff. Its a cute little movie and yes it is different from the classic muppets.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
I didnt like it at all, They were trying too hard. Ive only watched it like 2 times, I own it only because some one bought it for me.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I thought it was great; I loved the plot, and the new characters were wonderful. I especially liked how big bully Blotch became best friends with Goggles. The special features were AWESOME; especially the behind-the-scenes featurette, and the double blooper reel (not the one at the tail end of the movie).

So yeah, I really enjoyed it a lot!

DTWolf

Reaction score
One of my friends saw this on the shelf with my other Muppet movies and asked how it was. I told her, "Well, a Muppet purist wouldn't own it, but a Muppet completist would." So she said that made plain which type I was.

It isn't Muppet "canon"--that is, it won't fit into the "true" Muppet storyline established in, say, the Muppet Show and The Muppet Movie. This Kermit backstory is incompatible with the established chronology. I say it's apocryphal and does not take place in the "Muppet-verse."

It's also extremely lame. The jokes are weak, the plot is ho-hum, and the human actors should never, ever have been allowed into a Muppet production. Some people can work well with Muppets, some can't. These can't, and it doesn't help that they're given such cardboard stereotype characters to play. "Hi, I'm the relentless, irritable, villainesque scientist-type!" "Hi, I'm his dopey, bumbling assistant!" Sheesh.

The best part of the DVD is what's in the extras. I laughed much more at those than at the actual movie. I wouldn't buy it again just for the extras--except, yes, I would buy the DVD again, because I'm a completist and want EVERY Muppet production on my shelf.

Marky

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
One of my friends saw this on the shelf with my other Muppet movies and asked how it was. I told her, "Well, a Muppet purist wouldn't own it, but a Muppet completist would." So she said that made plain which type I was.

It isn't Muppet "canon"--that is, it won't fit into the "true" Muppet storyline established in, say, the Muppet Show and The Muppet Movie. This Kermit backstory is incompatible with the established chronology. I say it's apocryphal and does not take place in the "Muppet-verse."

It's also extremely lame. The jokes are weak, the plot is ho-hum, and the human actors should never, ever have been allowed into a Muppet production. Some people can work well with Muppets, some can't. These can't, and it doesn't help that they're given such cardboard stereotype characters to play. "Hi, I'm the relentless, irritable, villainesque scientist-type!" "Hi, I'm his dopey, bumbling assistant!" Sheesh.

The best part of the DVD is what's in the extras. I laughed much more at those than at the actual movie. I wouldn't buy it again just for the extras--except, yes, I would buy the DVD again, because I'm a completist and want EVERY Muppet production on my shelf.
On paper, it was a great idea. Overall, I'd say that it's inconsistent.

There are some amusing moments, and some that are genuienly moving. However, there are also moments which make you wonder where the quality-control went in casting and writing. "This got approved?" I thought more than once. The worst part - the chase in the high-school. The best - the pet shop musical number.

It is the lamest Muppet DVD out there, yes. But it won't make you hate yourself for watching it either.

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
Marky said:
It is the lamest Muppet DVD out there, yes. But it won't make you hate yourself for watching it either.
It's up against some pretty stiff competition though. Agree about the extras, worth paying the £3!

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Yeah, the behind the scenes stuff with Joe the Armadillo were hilarious. I love that little critter.

The movie however, meh. I agree with everyone about the human actors (I almost couldn't watch that high school chase scene!), too bad.

Coulda been a lot better, but...people's is people's.

:smile:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well the way I see it is if you ever have a Muppet or Kermit movie that has no familer Muppets and the only familer Muppet are younger and therefore a whole different verison of themselves, than it's not as fun to wacth for the most part.

Plus I don't feel any of the newer Muppets were that fun and didn't really capture the attention that other more familer Muppets are able to. I could get behind the characters in this movie personally.

I do have the DVD, but that cause I'm trying to collect all the Muppet DVD's I can (minus all thoes "Elmo's World" DVD's). I've only wacthed it once since I've bought it, which is saying something, can usually I'm able to wacth a lot of Muppet Movies over and over. Heck I even wacthed The Muppets Wizard of Oz at least three times.

robinthefrog

Reaction score
I bought it just recently and I actually enjoyed it. Fresh idea, good characters and interesting plot. The part where you see the young Jim Henson sealed the deal for me, without that I probably wouldnt have liked the movie.