Kermit Swamp Years - Opinions

Marky

Reaction score
robinthefrog said:
I bought it just recently and I actually enjoyed it. Fresh idea, good characters and interesting plot. The part where you see the young Jim Henson sealed the deal for me, without that I probably wouldnt have liked the movie.
That scene, and where Kermit sees a movie for the first time were the scenes I was refering to as moving. I would almost guess that it's meant for the Sesame Street age demographic. I'm sure anyone under 5 would really like it. I do believe they put an honest effort into it, trying something new. Does anyone notice the lack of the word 'Muppet' in both movie content and packaging?

To be fair, and I'm sure many have either said this before or share this opinion, it near impossible for anything Muppet to come close to the chemistry and magic created by the combination of Jim Henson and Frank Oz.
I'm a Heson/Oz fan first, I guess. They were it. The Bomb. Creme de la creme. No dispute, no contest.

BEAR

Reaction score
Marky said:
Does anyone notice the lack of the word 'Muppet' in both movie content and packaging?
I don't understand what you mean.

Marky

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I don't understand what you mean.
Well, it's not called "The Muppets: Kemit's Swamp Years". And the word 'Muppet' isn't uesd in it.

That's to their credit. I mean, obviously it's a Muppet project. Kermit. Duh. But this at least gives the project breathing room as not to have the weight and pressure of being another Muppet movie.

Understand me now?

BEAR

Reaction score
Gotcha, Marky. Just didn't understand what you meant.

You mean that unlike the other major Muppet film projects, the word "Muppet" is in the title:

The Muppet Movie
The Great Muppet Caper
The Muppets Take Manhattan
A Muppet Christmas Carol
Muppet Treasure Island
Muppets From Space

Marky

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Gotcha, Marky. Just didn't understand what you meant.
No Problem!

But about Swamp Years... I enjoy puppets, Muppets, all that good stuff. And when it comes down to it, calling The Swamp Years the worst Muppet movie is like calling Ringo the poorest Beatle.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually didn't mind Swamp Years. It was cute.

Marky

Reaction score
Yeah, it did have some decent moments. If you don't compare it to the Heson body of work, it doesn't seem as brutal.

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah and I don't compare it to those because Swamp Year is in it's own class really. Atleast to me. It does not need to be just like The Muppet Movie or Muppet Caper and all those. This one was geared toward possibly a younger audience and is of a different style. The movie has a sweet story and cute, fun characters. There is a nice message in it as well. Besides, it was released straight to DVD, not theatrical.

Marky

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yeah and I don't compare it to those because Swamp Year is in it's own class really. Atleast to me. It does not need to be just like The Muppet Movie or Muppet Caper and all those. This one was geared toward possibly a younger audience and is of a different style. The movie has a sweet story and cute, fun characters. There is a nice message in it as well. Besides, it was released straight to DVD, not theatrical.
It was aired on TV first, but what does that have to do with it (devil's advocate)?

Ruahnna

Reaction score
What the heck....

Might as well weigh in on this one. Here's the real problem with this story: By the end of the movie, we don't actually get any closure. The bad guy might be changed, but he explains away years of killing frogs by saying "I didn't want to look wimpy in front of others." Isn't that a little like saying, "Yeah, I know I robbed and assaulted people for many years, but it was just so the guys would think I was tough. But it's okay now--I don't need to impress the guys anymore because I feel okay about myself." This does the robbed and assulted people good in what way? And is there no ourpouring of apology or sympathy for the sadly gutted frogs that gave their lives just so he could not be socially uncomfortable. It this sounded like a good idea on paper, it was only because nobody actually read to the end of the story.

That said, there are things in it I like to watch. I'm not real turned on by adolescent Kermit--I find him much more interesting as an adult--but he has moments of adolescent cuteness. The out-takes are funny. I like Kermit's friends. (But then, I usually like Kermit's friends.) Given that I am such a grand Pigophile, I take exception to "Kermit's" cracks about MIss Piggy, as I find them mean-spirited. I don't mind snarky Kermit, but I don't like him when he's just being a snot. (THis may be influenced by my recent purchase of Kermit UnPigged, in which I found their interactions very sweet.) I don't care a lot for the whole "talking star" bit--it was a little cloying.

Anyway--not their best effort, but there are a few moments of sweetness that are worth the inexpensive purchase. (Just don't watch it with any animal lovers.)

Ru (who must be crabby tonight!)

P.S. Hi Marky! Long time since our posts crossed!