Monsters Eating Fellow Muppets

Saironi

Reaction score
ReneeLouvier said:
Wow, never actually thought of those skits in that light. Cool.

I always thought it was out-of-character for Piggy to act so scared in that Sherlock Holmes sketch. But as you've all said in one way or another, perhaps she truely WAS scared!
*nods* That brings me to another point;

Shakey is shaking on the wall before Behemoth devours him, just gapes at Kermit when he tells him to calm down and appears again with a nervous tick. I think something came unhinged mentally, because he didn't seem that...well, shakey when he performed with Avery 3 episodes before. He was acting as if he couldn't believe Kermit had set him up like that.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I noticed that Miss Piggy seemed really defenseless in the Sherlock Holmes sketch, and then I was reading this thread, and soemthing occurred to me. It seems like Miss Piggy's personality wasn't developed much in the first three episodes. Of course, the writers didn;t plan on having her be a main character untill after the Temptation number, but even then it seems like they didn't develope her personality much untill the fourth episode (even though there was a production break for a few months between the secodn and third episodes).

For the first three episodes, Miss Piggy usually had scenes in At The Dance, but so did many other characters, both major and minor. In the Temptation number, it seems like she had only slightly more personality than the other Glee Club singers. In the Sherlock Holmes sketch, she basically just stands there and doesn't really do much acting. In that same episode, she appears backstage with the other characters who complain to Kermit about Fozzie practicing for his act, but her lines could have been given to almost any character, with the exceptions of Gonzo, Crazy Harry, and possibly Scooter. Her lines could have easily been given to Rowlf, Sam the Eagle, Wayne, Wanda, The Newsman, or Mildred, for example. In the second episode, she karate chops Kermit backstage, but many fans think that scene was filmed later, after her personality was more established.

I think that if the Sherlock Holmes sketch was put in a later episode instead, the maid would have probably been portrayed by someone else, like Hilda, Wanda, or Annie Sue Pig.

I also thought it was weird in the Sherlock Holmes sketch that after Gorgon heap ate all of the evidence, Rowlf instantly assumed that Baskerville was the mruderer, but after baskerville got eaten, Rowlf just thought there was no murder, rather than saying that he mut have been the murderer (though he probably wouldn't admit that), or even assumed that there was a murderer but not in the room. Of course, Rowlf, as Sherlock, might have decided for his own safety to assume there was no murder just so he wouldn't get eaten.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I wonder what Gorgan Heap as in our forum buddy Dave will say to all this discussion whenever he sees it?

Saironi

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
In that same episode, she appears backstage with the other characters who complain to Kermit about Fozzie practicing for his act, but her lines could have been given to almost any character, with the exceptions of Gonzo, Crazy Harry, and possibly Scooter. Her lines could have easily been given to Rowlf, Sam the Eagle, Wayne, Wanda, The Newsman, or Mildred, for example.
Actually, Mildred never appeared backstage, I don't think Gonzo would have cared (since he was basically being a pest himself in episode 2), the Newsman was always performed by Jim, Wayne and Wanda never made important roles on the show, and Scooter doesn't seem to annoy easily.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Saironi said:
Actually, Mildred never appeared backstage, I don't think Gonzo would have cared (since he was basically being a pest himself in episode 2), the Newsman was always performed by Jim, Wayne and Wanda never made important roles on the show, and Scooter doesn't seem to annoy easily.
No, Mildred never did appear backstage, but I don't think there was any rule stating that she couldn't have ever appeared backstage (most of Jim henson's non-Kermit characters didn't appear backstage much untill the second season).

While The Newsman was performed by Jim Henson, who was performing Kermit in the same scene, you've got to remember that in that scene Frank Oz performed the voices for both Fozzie and George, so it's not like Jim wouldn't have dubbed The Newsmans voice (or Rowlf's voice). Frank Oz performing two character voices in that scene is also my reason for listing Sam the Eagle as a character who could have been annoyed.

While Wayne and Wanda never made important roles on the show, they did appear backstage every once in awhile, even if it was just in the background.

And the reasosn you mentioned for Gonzo and Scooter not being in that scene are the exact reasons I had for listing them as the main exceptiosn of characters who could have had Miss Piggy's lines. Scooter did occassionally get annoyed, but he never seemed to be annoyed by Fozzie, and even encouraged him. It seems like he actually annoyed Fozzie at times instead.

Nigel is another character who could have been there instead of Miss Piggy.

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Saironi said:
IAlso, she doesn't seem comfortable around monsters;
Not always.
In the Carol Burnett episode wasn't she the one who brought an alien (played by Big Mamma) onboard the Swinetreck?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Skekayuk said:
In the Carol Burnett episode wasn't she the one who brought an alien (played by Big Mamma) onboard the Swinetreck?
I don't recall there being any mention of who brought the monster onboard, nor do I remember seeing Mean Mama appear backstage coming on-stage.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Skekayuk said:
Not always.
The announcer said that the Swinetrek had picked up a wierd alien creature, didn't say who specifically brought it aboard.

Besides when Mama grabbed her and started dancing at first she was clearly not comfortable. And on that note she seemed surprised when it ate her, as though it was not a planned part of the skit.

Saironi

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
The announcer said that the Swinetrek had picked up a wierd alien creature, didn't say who specifically brought it aboard.

Besides when Mama grabbed her and started dancing at first she was clearly not comfortable. And on that note she seemed surprised when it ate her, as though it was not a planned part of the skit.
And didn't anyone notice that Big Mama look like she was uncomfortable and going to be sick when Piggy started dancing in her? I think she was starting to regret eating her.

Though Big Mama certainly seems like a nasty attack dog, eating John Cleese's agent, though thankfully no one else in the series.

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Saironi said:
And didn't anyone notice that Big Mama look like she was uncomfortable and going to be sick when Piggy started dancing in her? I think she was starting to regret eating her.
"Tune in next week for Indigestion in Spaaaccce!"