Monsters Eating Fellow Muppets

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
In the second episode, she karate chops Kermit backstage, but many fans think that scene was filmed later, after her personality was more established.
It was. There were three different Piggys in S1- the first in the Juliet Prowse episode, second from the Joel Grey through Candice Bergen episodes, and third from the Avery Schreiber through Mummenschanz episodes plus that one re-taped scene. The differences in the two puppets is subtle, but it's there.

I think that if the Sherlock Holmes sketch was put in a later episode instead, the maid would have probably been portrayed by someone else, like Hilda, Wanda, or Annie Sue Pig.
Agreed. Wanda in particular fits the guise of the so-called 'helpless female' although she wasn't a character player. But, neither was Wayne until Season Three. Although, if you look closely, I think that's the Wayne puppet as the corpse in the Sherlock Holmes sketch- note the hair and the striped suit.

Anyone have any comments on the Wayne & Wanda sketch from the Avery Schreiber episode? A couple of things about that sketch always bothered me:

1) Gorgon's shoulder is visible just as Wayne sings the word 'stranger', but if Gorgon was acting on the instruction "you may eat a stranger", wouldn't he not arrive onstage until a few seconds AFTER this phrase, given that he'd first have to hear the supposed instruction and THEN put the idea together and THEN act on it? I had a theory that he maybe kinda half knew the lyrics, that he knew the word 'stranger' was coming up but didn't know that the word 'eat' was in there (which it isn't).

2) if he ate a stranger but picked Wayne instead of Wanda, does that mean Wanda wasn't a stranger, that Gorgon knew her? I would find that unlikely, since she's clearly mortified and neither Wayne nor Wanda associated with weirdos and riff-raff by choice. Or maybe Gorgon just didn't see her from offstage?

3) does this mean Gorgon Heap is hard of hearing and needs to wear a hearing aid? Funnily enough, Gorgon Heap is my screen name and I used to wear a hearing aid.

Thoughts?

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
The only thought I can think of is that interestingly as far as the song itself is concerned every version I recall hearing has the lyrics Some enchanted evening you may see a stranger. Even Bert sings the word see to Connie Stevens in episode 2.
It seems they obviously changed see to meet just for the Wayne and Wanda gag so if Wayne had only sung the correct lyric there would have been no misunderstanding? I say ? because Gorgon probably may not have been trustworthy anyway if he really had his heart set on eating Wayne.

And LOL Bert may have never known the close call he'd had if he'd sung meet instead of see. Heh-heh

Saironi

Reaction score
Have any of you considered he just didn't think Wanda was worth eating? When Wanda tells him the right word and starts crying, Gotgon just gives a "sarcastic" apology and turns away, as if she isn't worth his time of day.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
I think I'm the only one who broached the question.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Agreed. Wanda in particular fits the guise of the so-called 'helpless female' although she wasn't a character player. But, neither was Wayne until Season Three. Although, if you look closely, I think that's the Wayne puppet as the corpse in the Sherlock Holmes sketch- note the hair and the striped suit.[
Yeah, I only listed Hilda as a character who could have been in that skit because she was a wardrobe lady and I kinda think someone with that job would fit the role of a made perfectly. Also, she didn't do much on-stage, so if she acted as badly as Miss Piggy did in that sketch it would possibly make more sense.

Gorgon Heap said:
if he ate a stranger but picked Wayne instead of Wanda, does that mean Wanda wasn't a stranger, that Gorgon knew her? I would find that unlikely, since she's clearly mortified and neither Wayne nor Wanda associated with weirdos and riff-raff by choice. Or maybe Gorgon just didn't see her from offstage?
Maybe he realized his mistake after Wanda told him that Wayne said "Meet" and not "eat" and therefore didn't eat Wanda.

Gorgon Heap said:
does this mean Gorgon Heap is hard of hearing and needs to wear a hearing aid? Funnily enough, Gorgon Heap is my screen name and I used to wear a hearing aid.
Maybe Gorgon Heap should have kept his ears from the Joel Grey episode. Oddly enough, he seems to have constantly swithced between having horns and not having horns.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Another thing that's odd is that Gorgon Heap rarely omits a possible snack. In the Sherlock Holmes sketch, he eats Piggy, then looks over Rowlf & Baskerville and eats Baskerville. In the Vincent Price panel sketch, he eats Pierre and then tries to eat Kermit. In the Wayne & Wanda sketch, he eats Wayne but doesn't really even LOOK at Wanda. Seems inconsistent with the character not to even consider eating her. Could he have found her that repulsive? (Personally I don't see it.) Or, is one human enough to appease his appetite, or at least enough to keep him from going back for another human? Remember, after eating Pierre, Gorgon went after Kermit, and in the Sherlock Holmes sketch, he ate a pig and a dog.

Of course, the actual logic is much simpler. The writers wanted to use the eating gag in a W&W sketch, "Some Enchanted Evening" sufficed, "Some Enchanted Evening" is (every time I've heard it, anyway) a male-sung tune, ergo Wayne would sing it and get eaten in the process (it would make less sense for Gorgon to eat Wanda at this point and for Wayne to restate what he himself sung), and the point of a W&W sketch is to do the gag and then end the sketch, so after Wayne was eaten and the joke explained, there was no point in prolonging the joke, so the sketch ended.

Just for fun tho, on my 'hypothesis' that Wayne was a stranger and Wanda wasn't, that would seem to indicate something totally bizarre. Most times when someone knows half of a couple, it's b/c they knew them before said couple was a couple. Did Wanda date Gorgon Heap? Is that why he ate Wayne, to eliminate his rival and either win her back or punish her for jilting him at the altar? But, of course, this is too silly an idea for even the Muppets.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Gorgon Heap said:
Of course, the actual logic is much simpler. The writers wanted to use the eating gag in a W&W sketch, "Some Enchanted Evening" sufficed, "Some Enchanted Evening" is (every time I've heard it, anyway) a male-sung tune, ergo Wayne would sing it and get eaten in the process (it would make less sense for Gorgon to eat Wanda at this point and for Wayne to restate what he himself sung), and the point of a W&W sketch is to do the gag and then end the sketch, so after Wayne was eaten and the joke explained, there was no point in prolonging the joke, so the sketch ended.
True Dave. Although the way you imagined Wanda being eaten afterwards could have been very funny as a one-off prolonged WandW gag:big_grin:

Gorgon Heap said:
Just for fun tho, on my 'hypothesis' that Wayne was a stranger and Wanda wasn't, that would seem to indicate something totally bizarre. Most times when someone knows half of a couple, it's b/c they knew them before said couple was a couple. Did Wanda date Gorgon Heap? Is that why he ate Wayne, to eliminate his rival and either win her back or punish her for jilting him at the altar? But, of course, this is too silly an idea for even the Muppets.

Silly yes but a bit of a lark Dave:crazy: :wink:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
This is another of the threads I love so much.
It's about time I bumped it up to see if the newer members add any more comment to it.

The Flying Sheep

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that in the Sherlock Homes sketch, Piggy's lipsynch is really off? Frank is voicing both Piggy and Gorgon Heap in the scene, for some reason (none of Richard's characters are in the scene, so why couldn't he have performed Piggy?) and whoever is doing the actualy pupptry on Piggy is doing a really bad synching to Frank's voice.

Saironi

Reaction score
The Flying Sheep said:
Has anyone noticed that in the Sherlock Homes sketch, Piggy's lipsynch is really off? Frank is voicing both Piggy and Gorgon Heap in the scene, for some reason (none of Richard's characters are in the scene, so why couldn't he have performed Piggy?) and whoever is doing the actualy pupptry on Piggy is doing a really bad synching to Frank's voice.
She's also shaking, so maybe the bad synching can be seen has her jaw trembling?

Also, Gorgon doesn't move until Rowlf thinks he is the victim. So either could have been performed by someone else at different times.