1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Most Underused Muppets?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by TravellingMatt, Jan 2, 2003.

1. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

On the fact of Deadly, I was shocked to see him in the cold opening for the Muppets at Walt Dinsey World, where, along with Tugg Monster, Gonzo, Animal, an angry pig and the Luncheon Counter Monster ripped the first guest's shirt merely because it had butter on it.

The fact the Deadly puppet survived that long is amazing. Another great character that really could have stuck around, was Hilda. She fit in with the Muppet Show cast so well, more so than the likes of Miss Mousey and Mildred. We don't even know if the Hilda puppet survived after appearing in Muppets Celebrate 30 years. And when she did show up, her head was tiny compared to the other puppets.

Droop had potential for being a great Jerry character, but I guess when Floyd, Robin and Lew Zealand became his backstage characters, plus the numerous one offs, he faded away. Glad he came back though.

Thog. Oh frog, the Thog. Thog was huge, and was built up to being a main character on the Muppet show, making appearances on other shows and the like, and they only used him for like, five musical numbers on the Muppet show. Heck, I think he was only used twice in the first season. Glad he came back.

GopherCoffee and galagr like this.
  2. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Hate to double post, but I grew attached to someone who deserves to be at least a background character now. Bean Bunny. I wish they used him more, and used his ear mechanizim from Bunny Picnic more often.

GopherCoffee likes this.
  3. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

I totally wish that Rowlf was used more, because I am an obsessive piano fan, and I just really love how he's that music kind of guy ;)
    However I noticed he's not as big on his music side as he was back in those golden days...
    Bean, eh... He's a little cutie! I don't really crave him as much on account that I don't have much understanding of his personality.
    And that's... basically it for me!
    Ciao!

4. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

Nearly all of Jerry's Muppets (Floyd, Robin, Deadly, Harry, Lew, Strangepork, Kazagger, JP Grosse, Camilla, Droop, Thog) were underused, in my opinion. But also I think there should have been more opportunities for Sam the Eagle, Marvin Suggs, Wayne and Wanda, Annie Sue, Hilda, Janice, Lips and Zoot.

5. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Yes, more Rowlf. He's the most prominent dog Muppet, and dogs are so cuddly and loveable:flirt:. Not to mention he's the oldest Muppet, along with Kermit. Like I said, he's much more normal than most of the Muppets, but that's what makes him interesting. If they ever make a new Muppet tv show, I'd love to see an episode where Rowlf leaves the Muppets, believing he's too normal to fit in, only to find he's been around crazy Muppets so long that he can't stand normal, ordinary people:) .

Bridget likes this.
  6. Bridget

I love that episode too!

7. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind that either. Robin was a little too understated for me during the Muppet Show. I think there's still a lot more to discover about the little frog and more scenes with him and Kermit having some bonding time couldn't hurt.

I would also like to see a lot more of Lips. I know he never says anything, but having a full-time trumpeter could broaden the musical horizon for the Electric Mayhem. The band themselves need a lot more screen time.

galagr and PanthraDion like this.
  8. Floyd Pepper leaps to mind, at least as far as truly criminally underused characters go. Also have to toss in another vote for Uncle Deadly.

GopherCoffee and ElizaSchuyler like this.
  9. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

well uncle deadly had a HUGE role in the last movie hopefully he will be there in the new one and have a line or two!

GopherCoffee likes this.
  10. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Floyd had a good amount of screen time in the original Muppet Show, and also had a decent part in the original Muppet Movie trilogy, but outside of that he didn't have much to do. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more Floyd in the next film:sing:.

GopherCoffee likes this.
  11. GonzoWaltsfan

GonzoWaltsfan Member

Little Robin, I hardly see the guy. Now that you guys mention it though, Rowlf is underused, which is a shame cuz I really liked him in the early films.

Though, to be fair. Every one but Kermit/Piggy/Fozzie/Gonzo are underused in my opinion.

12. Bridget

Where on earth are Wayne and Wanda?

cjd874 likes this.
  13. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

Dont forget disney's were gonna shove this character down your throat Animal.......

GopherCoffee likes this.
  14. How about Taminella? :D

15. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I would have to say Scooter, and here is why. We really only see him as a "yes man", and someone that when he dose not get his way uses the power of others (his Uncle) to get what he wants.
    I think that with the right story line Scooter could become a very well rounded character, but we have yet to see that.

16. Bridget

How true! And we always see him in his job form, running errands and doing things for his chief. It would be wonderful to see a little Scooter magic, but I am fairly excited to see what MMW has in store for us. Just, don't hurt yourself with all of that Jagger moving dearest...

FletchySRF3088, cjd874 and dwayne1115 like this.
  17. misspiggy5260

misspiggy5260 Well-Known Member

I feel like dr teeth doesn't get any lines anymore!

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  18. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well the reason for that is the fact that he has just recently got a permanent muppeter. Bill Beretta

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  19. misspiggy5260

misspiggy5260 Well-Known Member

Lips. Where did he go?

20. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

Not meaning to be controversial but all of them!! They are not nearly around enough for my liking!

misspiggy5260 likes this.