MSTies unite!

Princeton

Reaction score
Sorry to be joining the party so late. MST is my favorite thing in the world. I own about 35 episodes on VHS and DVD. My two favorites are Time of the Apes and The Brain That Wouldn't Die. Re: Rifftrax and Cinematic Titanic: I've seen two of each:

Rifftrax: Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny (though the songs are pretty catchy and the Riffers make a rare Dark Crystal reference) and Plan 9 From Outer Space, which I'll just say it: I don't think the film is all that bad. The two worst films I've ever seen were both MST films: Racket Girls and The Starfighters (I forget who said that Starfighters was the worst one, but I'm glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that.)

CT: Danger on Tiki Island and The Wasp Woman.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I have the Jurassic Park and the Transformers 1 tracks. They were hilarious.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------
I'll need to see "Transformers" then. I also would love the whole "Twilight" series; I know they've done the first two. If EVER a movie deserved to be ripped a new one!!

I may have to go see the live Riffs by myself...nuts. Marty's working that night. But I'd still like to experience it firsthand. Will let you guys know what happens...

---------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
----------------
Got my tix for Rifftrax: Manos! Will let you guys know how it was, for anyone unable to attend in your area. Uh, that would be the non-MST-specific sort of "area."

Rewatched the MST "Manos" last night. I'd forgot just how friggin LONG those endless boring-scenery shots out of the car were! And my brain had somehow blocked just...how...awful...the whole "film" (and I use the word loosely) really really is. This MUST have been Tommy Wiseau's inspiration for...well...living!
---------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Rifftrax Live: "Manos, the Hands of Fate" was wonderful!!! They're doing another in October: "Birdemic" -- the clips they showed look phenomenally awful in a so-low-budget-even-Syfy-won't-touch-it way! Can't wait!

There was a slide show playing on the screen when I came in before the actual show, with "movie quotes" and "movie haiku" and so on, hilarious stuff. Samples:

"Just leave the baby near the dingo cave. C'mon, the beer's getting cold." -- A Cry in the Dark

plot for next Die Hard film: Bruce Willis sends a bad guy into ComicCon wearing a t-shirt that says, "I think Firefly is overrated."

Joss.
Whedon.
(hold for thunderous applause) -- and everyone DID! was hilarious!

Haiku for Transformers 2:
No no no no no
No no no no no no no
No no no no no.

Haiku for Manos:
Manos: Hands of Fate
You paid money to see this
What is wrong with you??

The guys were shown live onstage from Nashville, with a blownup painting from the Master's home behind them and some devil dogs. They received pizza from Torgo, of course, and did a shoutout for some local filmmakers making "Manos, the Hands of Fate II: Return to Valley Lodge". (Yeeek!) Then they had two absolutely hysterical shorts:

"Welcome Home, Norman" -- apparently intended to be a short comic piece from the '70s, it portrays a buttoned-up-70s-style salesman coming back to his hometown airport and trying to navigate the parking lot. The guys ripped it so many new holes it probably is on life support right now, from mocking Norman's "catchphrase" (Uuuunnnnnnngh!) to slamming every single thing that Norman did.

"At Your Fingertips: Cylinders" -- another educational short from the late 60s or early 70s. Lots of long, soundless footage of little kids making things with glue, paper, and cardboard tubes. Some absolutely hysterical riffs on this one, including a Catherine the Great joke. Must be seen to be believed!

"Manos" itself, I have to admit, was not riffed as wonderfully as in the original MST ep...but for being all-new and original, they did good. Highlights were the "White Trash Twilight Sketch" where Bill Corbett and Kevin Murphy gave the perpetually-necking couple in "Manos" lines a white trash version of the characters from "Twilight" might sound like...rapidfire and hilarious, and I think the line "When are you gonna move that washin' machine outta the front yard?" "Why don't you get onea yore werewolfs ta do it?" was when I lost my voice from laughing so hard. Sometimes they simply played the movie, with the guys' voices overdubbed, and sometimes they showed a splitscreen, with Mike, Kevin, and Bill shown on one side and Manos on the other, and several times they didn't say ANYTHING...they just let the film run and stared at it like "Well???" -- which proved hysterical. Riffing by nonriffing! New technique! Kevin especially had a priceless look on his face at one point, waiting for the movie to DO something. He also sang, which was lovely -- man's still got a voice! Repeated uses of the joke "Uh...LINE?" and "Actors to the set, please..." worked well.

Am hoping this one will be released on their site...am sure bootlegs already abound. It was hilarious and well worth the money to see. I encourage anyone considering the next show to go! :smile:
--------------

Lola p

Reaction score
SQUUUEEE!

My mom just told me that she will get tickets for me and her to go To the rifftraxs birdemic in October! WOOHOO!

And by the way, just curious....

Anyone got any fan couples they like?

*runs speedily out of thread*

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
Er...fan couples? Am I missing a joke here? Are there famous MSTies who shacked up and now go by Tracelina or something?

Wish Cinematic Titanic would tour more. I know they just did a live show in LA, but hey, I can't GET to LA...why not a simulcast like Rifftrax does?
---------------

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
MST3K Playstation Underground. Also includes some behind the scenes footage.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------
"The lady's dead, right?" LOL!
And a Mentos joke! Surprised they didn't go for an Estelle reference...

Aha, the Best Brains Studio. I was able to take the tour of it during the second MST convention. Neat place. Thanks for posting this Mo!

------------

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
No problem.

Wow, really? You got to visit Best Brains? Do you remember enough of it to share your experiences there? I'd love to hear anything about it.