Muppet Film and TV References

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Mario said:
And, on Greg the Bunny with Seth Green, the counting vampire said that The Count didn't even have a real accent, that he was from Brooklyn. That was a really good show, what happened to it. It was so inventive.
Greg had the the misfortune of having it's first season during a filler quarter. Basically what this means is a network throws anything on the air to fill time and turns around a cancels them all after one season regardless of ratings. (at least that's more or less what they said on the dvd comentaries -you do know the whole series is out on dvd right?)

there were actually a few Muppet references on that show.

When Greg frist meets Count Blah, Blah tries to shake off what he thinks is another misguided fan,

"Look kid, I'm not the guy from Sesame Street and I don't know Big Bird!"

In another episdoe Warren and Greg were talking next to a buffet table:

WARREN: That Seseme Street hack doens't eve eat the cookies. They just crumble up and fall out of his mouth.
GREG: First sign of bulima.

There was one mroe I don't remember the situation or who said it but the line was, "It's the Fozzie Bear verdict all over again!"

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Blue Weirdo said:
There was one mroe I don't remember the situation or who said it but the line was, "It's the Fozzie Bear verdict all over again!"
It was when Greg was trying to start a new "Puppets Revolution"; Gil commented that this could end up with puppets rioting the streets: "It's the Fozzie Bear verdict all over again."

muppet maniac

Reaction score
*Little Britain-at the beginning of the show the announcer says that Britain is the birthplace of some people...forgot them but I did remember him saying Big Bird

*The Man Show-Adam Corola and Jimmy Kimmel are in some sort of lab and one of them has a watch with sliding pictures...and one has Big Bird

*Benny Hill Show-in a sketch taking place on cruise ship, an instrumental of Ma Nah Mah Nah is heard(must be the original one-not the SS/TMS one)

*Malcolm in the Middle-SS theme song from 30th season is heard at the end of an episode--forgot which

*Lethal Weapon 2-there was a Miss Piggy reference

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Fairly Oddparents
In the "Channel Chasers" episode, Timmy, Cosmo, Wanda, and Timmy's adult incarnation chase Vicky in different TV shows...in one scene, we see a red brick wall and there's a puppet of Vicky walking and she says "Today's show is brought to you by the letter V" and runs into a tv set.

VH1's "Most Awesomely Bad Hair"
One of the panelists said that Donatello Versaci resembled Janice(or "the little Muppet" as he reffered her to)

Pee-Wee's Playhouse
Pee-Wee opens the fridge and the claymation fruits, vegetables, etc. are watching a clip of Sesame Street from 1990 that has Big Bird rollerskating near Oscar's trashcan area and there's Gordon, Susan and I think Miles sitting at the stoop of the 123 apartment...and at the arbor area there's a Muppet on the crate...might be Elmo I'm not sure because he was too far away so I couldn't tell

A Japanese TV commercial had Ma Nah Mah Nah in it

A commercial I saw for new episodes of South Park a while ago was actually a spoof of an old SS bit...with the ball going through the roller coaster and landing on an icecream sundae(anyone remember that one?)

Under One Roof(Singaporean sitcom)-I've seen two of the cast members wear Ernie and Oscar t-shirts

On The Pyramid Game(game show in Singapore), the category was "What Miss Piggy Would Say" and a lady quotes what she would say

My Date with the President's Daughter-some boys are at a music store and one of them was playing with magic linking rings and another thought that it was lame, but he says it isn't...and another said that he "used to like Sesame Street"

Family Feud(old episode from 70s)-Host is...how do I say this..."flirting" with one of the female contestants and he says "I'm a Cookie Monster"

And this one isn't Muppets or Henson, but it's CTW

On Family Guy, Peter asks his boss to come over at his house for dinner to negotiate about some things at work. But he's really nervous because if he screws up, he will have to go back to his old job at the electric company, and it cuts to a blue background and shadows of Peter and another guy forming words

Man: D
Peter: ...ot
Both: Dot
Man: P
Peter:...it
Man: Pit
(Peter tells him to slow down. The next words are bet and fat. Peter gets offended and he beats the guy up)

AAO

Reaction score
On a few episodes of the final season of "Friends" Rachel (Jennifer Anniston) wore a "Cookie Monster" t-shirt.

AAO

Reaction score
There was also another reference on "Friends" - Ross accidentally knocked down a little girl scout and broke her leg. Later at "Central Perk" Chandler told everyone about Ross's accident. Ross walks in and Chandler begins to read the paper.

Chandler: "Humm..it says a Muppet got wacked on Sesame Street last night. You didn't have anything to do with that did you Ross?"

Another reference comes from "Cheers" - Diane, Frasier, and Sam are fighting in the back office. Diane keeps telling Frasier how stupid Sam is.

Diane: "This is the man whose only goal in life was to stay up to speed saying the alphabet with Big Bird! And even that didn't work out for him!"

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
AAO said:
Chandler: "Humm..it says a Muppet got wacked on Sesame Street last night. You didn't have anything to do with that did you Ross?"
Ha-ha-ha!!!

I don't remember that one, do you know the title of that episode? I can hear Chandler saying just that, hilarious! :wink:

AAO

Reaction score
It's Season 3 - I think it's "The One Where Rachel Quits" - I'm pretty sure. Cuz it's a Christmas related episode - Ross has to sale the girl's girl scout cookies so she can go to "Space Camp" - Rachel quits Central Perk - Joey works at a "Christmas Tree" outlet and Phoebe tries to save the dying trees. Monica doesn't want to buy the cookies from Ross cuz that's how she got fat in the first place when she was a kid, being a girl scout...Again, I hope that's the episode....LOL! I'm a HUGE "Friends" fan!

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Wheel of Fortune: One puzzle was read as this: "Ernie, Bert, and Oscar the Grouch". Forgot what the category was. Ah well

Miss Congeniality 2: Sandra Bullock is dresed in feathers and says that she's from the FBI, but the driver tells her "Get lost, Big Bird!"

Lean on Me: Mr. Clark gets in some sort of big trouble and the guy yelling at him says that he's "like a Big Bird with a radar"

ET:Letter B cartoon is seen on TV. And also there is a clip of Big Bird and Grover

Someone on the alt+tv sesame street message board said that there was a sketch spoofing Sesame Street on SCTV(Second City Television-anyone remember that show?)

Kids Say the Darndest Things: A boy says that he imitates everyone on TV. He mentions that he imitates characters from Barney and Sesame Street

Japanese show(can't remember which or what type it was)played the techno remix of the SS theme song

Another one...same as above...one had a Kermit doll

"60-second life story" segment on the TV Guide Channel. Saw this in 2003...guy says something about getting an Oscar(as in the award, but they showed an Oscar the Grouch cookie jar). It's been a while so yeah.

*Home Alone-Kevin and the old guy that he feared about but not anymore talk in a church...and Kevin says that he got a Big Bird sweater once.

*I cant remember the show, but some girl is at a hotel receptionist counter and the guy there mentions his name is Ernie(or Bert cant remember) and she asks "Wheres (B/E cant rememeber how it went ah man it would help a lot if I remembered)

*Chapelle's Show-Saw this on a commercial once: He's being born...and says "Wocka Wocka!"

*A Muppet Babies reference on Best Week Ever

*at the beginning of a vh1 show---again cant remember which...announcer says "its the two-headed monster that would not die" and in another...about fashion or something dont know what...panelist said that a lady looked like a cross between Snuffy and someone else.

*Best Week Ever-on a discussion about Van Helsing, there was a Count reference

*Another thing on Best Week Ever: they were talking about Team America World Police. One guys like "Jim Henson never dreamt of this!" nd they talked about what they left out of the movie: Full Kermit(and a guy asks if they had a Piggy 9)and Gobo Fraggle. In another episode, they were talking about Desperate Housewives, and one of the panelists joke that one of the cast members appears on an upcoming episode of Sesame Street(and they showed a picture of Grover)

Some comic strip had Ernie and Bert in suits, and there's Big Bird. There were two-same picture, different dialogues. One of them had Bert telling Big Bird that a chef is looking for the biggest "wing". nd I remember seeing a little blurb that read "Apologies to Jim Henson"

The Muppets have been on MAD magazine a couple of times:
*Reality Street-illustrated by Sesame illustrator Jack Davis. This was from the early 1970s I believe. It had Big Bird teaching kids how to count tax money, Grover reading ingredients at the back of a cake box to Cookie Monster, thus making him go bizerk; Oscar moves out of his can and into some junk pile in the street, Ernie and Bert discuss parties(it went something like "By the time the party starts at eight, you should always get ready at nine"), Ernie and Herry play with a phone, Gordon teaches us about the letter P(one of the words was psychadelic) and the number 5(five bombs, five people with different opinions, etc.)...and at the end some guys wreck the street and there's Gordon, with the Muppets I mentioned, asks to the reader "Get the picture kiddies?" Oh and in this Ernie was called Curt, Oscar was called Ookie, Cookie was called Cakemonster, Big Bird was Dirty Bird, Bert was Bernie(I think), and Herry was Scary(or something like that)
*Sesame Street Goes to the Mafia(remember seeing this once)
*Oscar is seen in the background in a comic about Star Wars
*And theres another one with Oscar...only he's in an office
*Big Bird is seen holding a phone(something about a PBS pledge drive...cant remember)
*Big Bird is seen in a PBS studio
*New Sesame Street characters that better reflect today's society-Scarecroe has this image
*PBS program guide-one was "Sesame-E-Street, and there's Big Bird in a suit and sunglasses, with Bert, Grover, Oscar, and several other Muppets...
*Simon Cowell is seen with Big Bird, Oscar and Grover, saying that he's "seen better comebacks from a sock puppet"(or something like that)
*Several Muppet Show characters are seen in the background...cant remember which comic it was. Ah well
*Big bird, ernie, bert, and grover...im not gonna say this because this is just too wrong.
*the count is seen drinking a bottle of blood
*that sesame street spoof with the count counting childrens books, big bird being forced to put on pants, rosita gets fired...
...and if anyone else can do the rest that would be nice

Not sure if these count, but anyway...
*Codename Kids Next Door-there's an episode with a dentist named Dr. Teef...does that remind you of anyone?
*The Simpsons-I remember seeing an old lady drop her head on the piano. In Scooby Doo 2, after some sort of news report, Fred bangs his head on the steering wheel. Both kinda reminded me of how Don Music does the thing with the piano.