1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppet Film and TV References

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by GuySmiley, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

On The Big Bang Theory Sheldon is talking to a Swedish professor and remarks , "Ahh Sweden! Home of my favorite Muppet ." :hungry:

Flaky Pudding likes this.
  2. Dr TeethFan

Dr TeethFan Active Member

What episode was that?

3. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Last night's.

4. Dr TeethFan

I meant what was the episode called?

5. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's "The Workplace Proximity".

6. Dr TeethFan

Oh that's in season 7.....I can't watch it

7. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Did anyone ever flag up the Muppet reference in that episode of Cougar Town Season 2 (I forget which now!) where Laurie referred to her...lady parts...as, "My Berts and Ernie." I just remembered that...hmmm...I should find the episode name.

8. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

It's a bit more than just a reference, but this is a marvellous bit of spotlighting the Muppets by Adam Hills.

I can't find a video with the full story, but basically he did end up doing the Gala and if you've watched the Gala, then you already know that Adam interacted with the Swedish Chef. What wasn't shown was when Adam high fived Kermit in a fit of adrenaline and Steve Whitmire (apparently) remarked behind Adam,"That guy was great! We should rough him up and make him a Muppet!"

If Steve had said that about me, it'd be the best night of my life too.

9. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

In tonight's episode of the ABC show "The Goldbergs", Murray was trying to demonstrate "the talk" with Fraggle Rock puppets to Barry, who didn't want to do it, thinking it was ridiculous, and he knew about it already. It was weird because they said one of the Fraggles was a girl, but it was a boy Fraggle.

CaseytheMuppet likes this.
  10. terrimonster

terrimonster Active Member

The one they said was a girl was Mokey. Mokey is, in fact, female.

11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I also noticed he used Boober and Mokey. They're considered a couple by most Fraggle Rock fans.

Of course, they used Fraggle Puppets that weren't available until a couple years ago when the show takes place in the 80's... but it's always nice to see a rare Fraggle Rock reference. Especially the line "Fraggles can't be nurses! They dance their cares away!"

12. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

That's the problem with shows that take place in the past-sometimes, they accidentally use stuff that came out years later. For example, an episode of That 70's Show had someone calling another character "Lady Lovelylocks" (that franchise came out in the 80's) and in Saving Mr. Banks, a kid at Disneyland wore the red cowboy hat from "Toy Story" (which came out more than 40 years after the movie takes place).

I also find it funny that Boober and Mokey are often shipped by Fraggle fans! That makes the joke even funnier...

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Fraggle Rock, which is why I said Mokey was a boy. Thanks for correcting me.

Bridget likes this.
  13. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

You are so right about the toy story hat. I was wondering, wasn't Pixar's Toy Story in about '98 or '99?

14. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

The first Toy Story was in theaters back in '95, but the sequel of the Toy Story film franchaise came out in '99.

Bridget likes this.
  15. Dr TeethFan

American Dad
    Steve:Wait...I know what this is about,you're all bailing cause people made fun of us
    Snot:Maybe we are too old for sleepovers,we're not kids anymore
    Barry:There's a person inside Big bird!!!

16. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

That bit on The Goldbergs was a scream. I put up a separate thread about it in the Fraggle Rock section of this forum. Good to see more of you guys caught that, too.

17. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Yesterday, on The Simpsons, they played 'Muppet Chess'.
    Fozzie 5 to Gonzo 7
    KERMIT MATE
    Wocka-Wocka
    or something like that.

Daniel

18. Teheheman

Teheheman Well-Known Member

Tonight, on the Simpson's, Bart ate a frog and the guy said 'So you're the reason I had to dissect a Muppet'

Daniel

19. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Was watching Faceoff, a series on the Scyfy Channel (stupid name change). The makeup monster maker competitors had to create their versions of never-before seen monsters from the jungles of Loompaland as mentioned in Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roll Dahl. The last female competitor, Chloey, was assigned the vernicious kannip (SP?) but it ended up looking like a wilted venus fly-trap.

One of the judges called it a prostitute-looking cousin of Madame Marjory Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock.
    Points for knowing who the character is and her full correct name. :zany:

20. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I spotted two weeks' worth of references to The Muppets Take Manhattan on ABC's Tuesday-night sitcom Trophy Wife.

In Parts 1 and 2 of "The Wedding," Kate (Malin Akerman) points to a clip of Kermit and Piggy's wedding scene - playing on her laptop - as inspiration for her "re-wedding" to husband Pete (they eloped in the pilot episode).

The second episode culminates with a surprise wedding ceremony on an airplane en route to a relative's funeral, and Kate walks down the aisle in her wedding dress while one of her family members plays Piggy singing "He'll Make Me Happy" on her iPhone.

I have a love-hate relationship with MTM and that wedding scene in particular, but Mrs. Otter and I agreed that the whole thing was kind of sweet.