1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Muppet Film and TV References

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by GuySmiley, Jun 1, 2002.

1. WemblinFool18

WemblinFool18 Active Member

Sorry, I thought of some more (some crude humor, beware):

-Dave Chappelle's standup routine about children's shows. Some of the things he says include: "Who'd wanna live on Sesame Street anyway? It's a terrible place. Frickin' 6-foot pigeons walking around. And an elephant that's a junkie. *imitating Snuffy* 'Hi, Bird, I'm sick. I need some smack, Bird!'" and "They all tell Oscar he's a mean old grouch, and he's the poorest guy on Sesame Street! You wonder why your kids grow up & step over homeless people going, 'Get it together Grouch. Get a job Grouch.'" He even calls Count von Count a pimp.

-In a Black Veil Brides interview, the lead singer is asked who his favorite Sesame Street character is. He answers, "Oscar. Because he's the most misunderstood. Poor guy lives in a trash can, everyone treats him like $h!t every day, and then they go, 'You're grouchy, why are you so mean?'. Cause he lives in a ******* trash can, okay? If you lived in a trash can and everybody was rude to you, wouldn't you be grouchy?" VERY GOOD POINT

-Some anime (I don't remember which one) had a character whose name I guess was Mana. So they said her name twice, and another character replies, "Do do do do do".

2. Eyeball

Eyeball Well-Known Member

There's a few in doctor who, like in tooth and claw the doctor mentions that the muppet movie is one of his favourite movies and was one of the great events of 1979, he also mentions that Cookie Monster is alien in one of the earlier episodes too I don't remember which one.

3. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

I spotted several on "Whose Line is it Anyway?" tonight, mainly Sesame Street. On a game called "Props" either Colin or Wayne imitated Snuffy with the help of a prop. Then on another episode, in "Scenes from a Hat", one of the suggestions was "If Sesame Street was a soap opera"

4. Eyeball

Eyeball Well-Known Member

Just saw one on freinds, Rachel is wearing a Cookie Monster t-shirt in the one where Estelle dies and chandler refers to Bert and Ernie in another episode.

5. vettech28

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but on "Chopped" tonight, one of the mystery ingredients was something called Guanabana nectar and one of the judges said the word in the style of "Mahna Mahna"!

6. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Heh, that makes me laugh because I know what a guanabana is. It's a fruit we have here in PR that's kind of light purplish in color and often sold as nectar/fruit juice.

BTW: Tonight's Faceoff episode is featuring a spotlight challenge where the remaining eight finalists have to come up with their designs for the models competing in their own version of the Miss Galaxy pageant. Too bad Miss Koozbane nor Miss Crab Nebula were among the choices.

7. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Sanjay and Craig sorta did a Labyrinth parody. It was in name only, and the only thing other than the name specifically is Tufflips sorta looking like Jarreth playing with magic orbs (they're more like stressballs, actually). But that was nice of them, I guess.

8. HuggaMahna

HuggaMahna New Member

In the "Hot Garbage" episode of Teen Titans Go, Beast Boy was inspired to live in filth by Oscar the Grouch.

9. Drtooth

On @Midnight, Chris referred to the Hulk Hogan internet leaked sex tape with a racist rant as "If it was an episode of Sesame Street, it would have been brought to you by the letter "N" and the numbers 6 and 9."

10. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

A season 2 episode of BoJack Horseman has a back-alley dumpster full of '90s props, one of which is Baby Sinclair.

11. C to the J

C to the J Active Member

I don't think anyone's added this to Minor TV Mentions yet, but I remember the Monsters vs. Aliens Halloween special - Mutant Pumpkins from Outer Space (2009), in which a trick-or-treater mistakes the Missing Link for Kermit.

12. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet; we have the following bit of dialogue from "Bart Stops to Smell the Roosevelts":

Officer Lou: Uh, what do you think Chief, can we take the building without hurting anybody?
    Chief Wiggum: Well, if a group of Muppets can take Manhattan---
    [Wiggum drops his gun and accidentally shoots the school board member in the knee]

13. vettech28

I was watching a Nickelodeon Guts episode in YouTube and one of the kids' nickname was "Gonzo" probably because his last name was Gonzales.

14. Erine81981

Erine81981 Well-Known Member

Ok I don't know if anyone has ever heard of this movie called "Being There' with Peter Sellers. I haven't watched it all the way through cause I had to go to work but there was part at the beginning of the film that had him watching Sesame Street Episode 1037 scene where Big Bird gets jealous. You get to hear some of audio and part of the song that Buffy sings with Big Bird about loving him the same as her son.

I'm not sure if there is anymore scenes of Sesame Street or Muppet stuff. The movie is about a guy who just can't get enough of TV. I'm hoping to find it again. I really want to see the rest.

15. Drtooth

Hotel Transylvania 2 features Dennisovich (Drac's Grandson) watching his favorite monster on television, a stand in for Cookie Monster called Cakie. He's closer to Elmo in terms of personality, but the reference is obvious. It also features a blue elephant Snuffy stand in as well.

This becomes an important plot point later on, as an enraged Vlad (Drac's estranged father) possesses a costumed actor hired to play Cakie for Dennisovich's 5th Birthday Party to scare Dennisovich into turning into a vampire.

16. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

The one who said "Can you spell Bee?" is Greg Proops, and the one who said "You can't spell B, Bert, it's only one letter!" is Ryan Stiles.

17. Domby

Domby New Member

The Simpsons: "Blame It on Lisa"
    Marge: "Bert and Ernie left it to your imagination."

MuppetSpot likes this.
  18. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

I saw that episode, and I have to agree, it was hilarious!!!! I've probably seen just about every episode of FG, and I admit, I laugh whenever they do a Muppet reference!!!!

19. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

a rerun of Newhart a pregnant Stephanie is sitting down at the mall, and little girl who thinks that she is miss piggy . comes up to her and stares at her , and Stephanie says. " if you don't stop staring at me , I'm going to get cookie monster to come out and eat you.

20. Domby

Domby New Member

On Modern Family, the two gay guys were offered tattoos of Bert & Ernie, owing to their sexuality. :p:( I think that the rumour of B&E's homosexuality is all bull. :fishy: