1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet King Arthur

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by theprawncracker, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Aaron Sparrow

Aaron Sparrow New Member

We're really happy with the final product; Paul and Patrick wrote some great stuff, and the art really sells each gag. James knocked it out of the park on his first swing.

Hope you guys all grab a copy this Wednesday! (And yes, the accelerated release date is to get the book back on schedule!)

-A
  2. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

It looks fun. I still prefer the Alvarez style much more. It was kind of a shock. I thought he had the first two issues. The lower jaw/mouths for these newly drawn Muppets look awkward to me (almost like it doesn't match the rest of the design). I guess it's good to see Muppets in different styles and it's even better not seeing the vomiting frogs of Robin Hood. Still rather Muppety here.
  3. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Tah-dah!
  4. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

5. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

Getting started here, so far so good I love the art style in the first issue!
    It is an odd thing to switch artists so soon though, does this happen often at boom?
    I mean I don't mind it's just kind of shocking, the only other series I read that has done that very often is ninja turtles but this is not anywhere as bad as that gets lol

Oh and I don't think I saw anyone else mention this but i loved the la choy dragon on kermits shield! haha
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

My guess is that it's got to be an availability thing or something to that extent. So far, the only time we had a different artist pop in on another series is the Pigs in Space one shot. And somehow, since Roger Focused mostly on the writing, it gave it a slightly different feel, rather than having him do BOTH the artwork and the writing. Someone who works there (and we have a few of them here) would probably have a more accurate slant on things.
  7. Aaron Sparrow

Aaron Sparrow New Member

We don't like to switch artists, but there were a few scheduling and production snafus on our end that necessitated the switch to get back on schedule; the deadlines would have killed Dave, and we want to keep him alive for future projects. :D

I think James came in and stepped up beautifully.

-A
  8. Drtooth

That's what I thought. Actually, I like the fact that artists get switched on rare occasion. It just means you guys get to showcase more great Muppet artists. Heck, I'd almost want to see every issue drawn by someone else.

I really do dig James's style here. Somehow it seems to be the most like a traditional style of a comic book out of all the artists. Only slight comment is that it looks like it took him a couple panels to get Fozzie and Kermit to really sing (once he does, He DOES), but other than that, another great Muppet artist. Really like how he handled Kermit's Armor with those black refractions... it gives it a real stark graphic quality.
  9. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

It still makes me laugh regarding Dave's cover, where Gonzo is nearly horizontal. If that doesn't give off Wile E. Coyote vibes, I don't know what does. *reads the interview* Oh, so he does do Looney Tunes work. I do remember telling him once that he totally reminds me of Chuck Jones, Looney Tunes God, LOL.
  10. Drtooth

His work really reminds me both of Looney Tunes (which he is ALSO amazing at... those guys are harder to draw than they look) and of Brett Koth, who worked with Jim Davis on U.S. Acres and Mr. Potatohead. Dave's stuff has the same sort of fluid movement as The U.S. Acres Kid's books.

Not to overshadow James either. I really enjoyed his artwork in the second issue, and I'm LOVING his covers for Snow White. Really like how he draws the Electric Mayhem.
  11. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

12. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

You know, the Muppet Mindset had an interview with the first King Arthur artist, and he said to add him to a list of people who say that the Muppets weren't meant to be drawn. That's the first time I ever heard that from anybody, though there are quite a few characters that are hard for me to draw, especially in big crowd scenes (and ironically, if I do draw those characters it's usually in a picture where I try to draw as many existing characters as possible).
  13. MUPPETMONKEY

MUPPETMONKEY Active Member

Hey, guys!
    I really appreciate the good comments on what was my first entire Muppet issue.
    Like Aaron explained, for circumstances that were out of control of everyone, the book was seriously behind schedule.
    I would've loved to continue the series myself.

Hopefully I'll get another Muppet comic on my hands. Maybe this time I'll get to color and add effects to it like I did with the covers.

I've been working on the Looney Tunes comics for quite a few years and, yes, Brett Koth's 90's Looney Tunes comic strip inspired me a lot. Brett has that cartoon timing that is just wonderful. I had the privilege of illustrating some of his stories.

Oh, and what I meant about "the muppets weren't mean to be drawn" is because, altough the characters look cartoony, I always considered puppeteering a different kind of art.
    And I'm a puppeteer myself.

But that's just me, of course.
  14. Drtooth

One of these days, I gotta list all the Muppets I have problems with. Piggy is pretty hard to get down perfectly... Eye placement on characters like Ernie, Rowlf and Grover (those subtle slants) caused a bit of problem for me for the longest time. I still can't get the hang of Big Bird (he has so much subtlety in the shape of his head not to mention the subtle angle of the beak). but I respect what these artists have done and their styles that they've adapted them into. I really can't say I have a favorite artist of the group (since they all offered something different)...

I gotta say, I like what James does with Fozzie after he got the hang of it. And really, I did NOT know to what extent he came to the rescue of this comic until reading this interview. Not only is these guy's art great, but the time and effort and all that other great stuff they put into the books is amazing. No wonder why Boom has some of if not the best Muppet Comics I've seen in some time. Much better than the spotty carelessness of the Marvel MTM adaption.
  15. Aaron Sparrow

Aaron Sparrow New Member

Well, Muppet King Arthur is approved and off to the printer, so expect to see it on shelves March 17th!

-A
  16. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I haven't found any copies of this (or any individual issues of the fairy tale comics), but yay! It brings Muppet Snow White sooner!

Can you say whether The Muppet Show On the Road #3 will be released around that time?
  17. Drtooth

Toughpigs preview for issue 3

I really try not to read these things, so I can have some surprises when I buy them... in fact, I barely have the will power to flip through the thing on the way home (I'd rather read the thing in the comfort of my own place)... but it's just hard NOT to. Looks great as always.

(Still haven't managed to get On the Road 3, though...)
  18. blackaerin

blackaerin Active Member

is it just me or do the colors seem a bit dark in here?
    Fozzie's more brown than orange, Bunsen's a darker shade of green, and it's hard to make out Rizzo from the background.
    I know that this is placed in the Dark Ages, but it wouldn't hurt to brighten up some of the colors and make the Muppets pop out a bit against the dark colors.
  19. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Has anyone? I haven't seen any discussion of it here (aside from on the preview pages) and when i did my comic shopping last week, i picked up my copy of Farscape: D'Argo's Quest 4 but both places i looked didn't have TMS On the Road 3. At first i thought both places were sold out (though that was the first time i didn't find a copy at two out of two places on the day of release) but now i'm beginning to wonder...
  20. Drtooth

I HOPE it got delayed if anything. Everywhere (three places on the following Saturday) I went I assume sold out.

Well, I'm checking today.