Muppet Show DVD season box sets announced

Matt Furtado

Reaction score
I was acually interviewed for the Muppet Show DVD Bonus Features on Sunday at the festival. I had just met Jerry Nelson and was talking to my girlfriend about some obscure muppet fact and the bonus feature producer overheard me and took interest. I talked about Jim Henson as a visionary and the universal appeal of the Muppets. Hopefully you'll see a short clip of me on the finished product...so excited that they're finally being released. They interviewed Jerry Nelson and Jerry Juhl right after me so it should be a great thing to see!

-Matt

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
That is awesome news. Hopefully they will keep the shows as is, With the original opening for season one unlike with the Time Warner discs. Any idea if they plan on then also releasing the Jim Henson Hour Shows, or Muppet's Tonight as well with this collection. Now i finally have a new DVD to anticipate the release of.

Grandmaster C

Reaction score
This is a show I've been waiting for on DVD in season sets for a long long time. I can't wait. :big_grin:

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
I do worry about the rights issues involved in complete season box sets. I hope they don't run into WKRP in Cincinnati Syndrome, where the music rights either mean certain episodes have to be excluded, or have to be edited. Don't they have to pay for the rights to every song performed on the show?

Of course, presumably they did this with the TL DVDs, so I'm not really sure how it works.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
AruggeRadio said:
That is awesome news. Hopefully they will keep the shows as is, With the original opening for season one unlike with the Time Warner discs. Any idea if they plan on then also releasing the Jim Henson Hour Shows, or Muppet's Tonight as well with this collection. Now i finally have a new DVD to anticipate the release of.
Depending on how well TMS does, we may see MT and JHH on DVD as well. We know they will do well, but if they do "extremely well" it will open the door for other Muppet projects to be released on DVD. You notice they waited to see how well the Fraggle Rock DVD did before announcing full season sets? I think we'll see the same here. But I am very optimistic they will be released once TMS sets are done.

hoppersfroglegs

Reaction score
Sean Gaffney said:
I do worry about the rights issues involved in complete season box sets. I hope they don't run into WKRP in Cincinnati Syndrome, where the music rights either mean certain episodes have to be excluded, or have to be edited. Don't they have to pay for the rights to every song performed on the show?

Of course, presumably they did this with the TL DVDs, so I'm not really sure how it works.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I'm sure that since the music remains intact in the TimeLife DVDs that they can do that for the boxed sets as well, particularly since I'm sure Disney of all companies would have enough money to pay for any rights they'd need to.

Overall, I'm more excited about these season sets than I've been for any DVD release in the longest time. I've been dying to get the TimeLife DVDs for years but kept refusing to, holding out hope that season sets would come out eventually, but with no proof that they definitely would. Now that there's official confirmation, I'm a very happy Muppet fan. And there are lots of other things I'd like on DVD, too: Muppets Tonight, The Jim Henson Hour, and the old specials, like "Hey, Cinderella," "The Frog Prince," and "The Muppet Musicians of Bremen," and how about "The Christmas Toy"? I'd also love A Muppet Family Christmas, and the Jim Henson memorial special, and I recall in the mid-80s there was some Muppet anniversary special on TV that I had on tape and used to watch all the time as a kid. Oh, and how about The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show? Yeah, I know, I'm getting greedy now. :smile: I'll just focus on The Muppet Show sets for now.

LadyVader

Reaction score
Mixed feelings

I very Happy about this but i also want to say NNNNOOO because i have been buying all the DVD that time life had NUTS.

Oliver

Reaction score
I reeeaally hope the pilot episode, "Sex and Violence", is included in the set!!!

I'm hanging onto my TL discs until it's confirmed that these are complete and unedited though, I'm weary of rights issues and Disney's been known to alter content on home video releases...

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Thanks for stealing our money, Time/Life :concern:

Okay, Disney, let's see what you got. Don't censor things like you did with Emmet Otter :big_grin: