1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Muppet Show DVD season box sets announced

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Nov 22, 2004.

1. The Good Doctor

The Good Doctor New Member

I agree 100%, it had better be all or nothing. My muppet collection is rather small, but I do try to get a smuch as I can on VHS/ DVD and I in no way can afford to spen loads of cash on something that is below average. It is a concern, and i will probably wait untill the DVDs comes out and the hype dies down before I start collecting them.
  2. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Just be careful; Disney likes to do limited time releases of DVDs and VHSs so don't wait too long after the release or they may no longer be avalible (except on places like ebay which they will be running top dollar).
  3. christyb

christyb New Member

That's great advice. But don't worry I don't plan on waiting when they come out. (No matter how much of a nut my mother thinks I am)
  4. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Just as a guide here, a season box set of 24 half-hour episodes (plus extras) from Disney (based on past releases) could run you anywhere from $29.99 to $39.99 (for all 5 season that would be any where from $149.95 to $199.95 spread out over 2-3 years).

So based on the estimation on when we would see the first season release (and how long after that until season 5 would be released), and using the worst case scenerio from the price range: here is a little tip: if you can set aside $4 a month (less than 1 dollar a week - or around 13 cents a day), starting now and continuing until the last season is released (it could take 2-3 years), you should have no problem keeping up financially with the releases (in fact you may find you have a buch of extra cash afterwards).
  5. zootsuit

zootsuit New Member

This is the best muppet related news i've heard in quite some time. I have only this to say to Disney critics : We have muppet show box sets coming out, a new T.V movie, a great new muppet web site and what i like to imagine is the possibility for new muppet attractions at the parks....what are you complaining about ?!...speaking of the muppet website....Isn't it cool?! I love the pop up muppet clips...and the list in the news stand section of all the upcoming appearances on television and radio. HOORAH ! :) :cool:
  6. My Kermie

My Kermie New Member

Yeah Baby!!! :) That rocks my socks!! :excited:
  7. radio boy

radio boy Member

I hope they release them in australia. Because of currency i basicly have to pay as much for it to be imported :cry:
  8. Douglas Fir

Douglas Fir New Member

Well I've arrived a bit late to the party, but - woooooooooo-hooooooooooo!!!

I own all 15 Time Life DVDs, the 3 UK "Very Best Of..." DVDs, and the 4-disc HMV UK exclusive box-set... and I have no problem double-dipping (or is that quadruple dipping?) and buying full-season sets (especially as Season 1 is one of the most over-looked when it comes to episodes previously released on DVD)!

Also I noticed several people here bashing Time Life... I actually think they did a great job and I've watched their 15 DVDs more than enough to have gotten my money's worth (plus I love the Odyssey Channel extras such as The Empire Strikes Back Screen Test so much that if those weren't included on these new sets I would keep the Time Life ones just for those short clips alone). I also think that the Muppets sold well for them - and those good sales probably at least helped influence Disney's decision to release Season sets.

Also for those demanding all the extras I'd personally like them to spread out stuff throughout the releases. So the "Of Muppets & Men" special should really be included on Season 5 (because that's when it came out) and not on Season 1. I would like to see the two pilots included as part of the Season 1 release though - that would be cool!

Also how about audio commentaries from the Muppets (i.e. the performers doing the commentaries in character). Maybe even include more recent Muppets such as Pepe :rolleyes: commenting on the good 'ol days!
  9. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

What I Know About It

Disney is planning to release season box sets of The Muppet Show. The first one will release in July or December 2005 or 2006.
  10. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Where did you hear that from? What's your source? That is a broad (and strange) range for release dates July 2005, December 2005, July 2006, or December 2006. Where did this information come from?

I doubt it would take them over 2-years to compleate the first season, I know DVD sets take time, but I don't think any took over 2 solid years of work to get out. I would expect the first sometime in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2005.
  11. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

it will be out summer 2005
  12. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Says who? I don't doubt this, it seems reasonable. But where did that come from. Is it fact (if so where did you learn that), or is it just a projection/assumption/wish ?
  13. Muppet Frog

Muppet Frog Member

My Evidence

Rumor has it Disney is working on season box sets of The Muppet Show. They could be ready for a 2005 release or possibly not untill 2006. It's right at the home page of Muppet Central.
  14. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

The homepage here states: "The big news from the recent Henson film festival is that Disney is planning to release season by season box sets of the Muppet Show. The first box set is planned for release in 2005."

Crag Shermin and Jerry Juhl (both writer for the Muppets) have been interviewed for Muppet Show season sets along with several Muppeteers (including Jerry Nelson) and even some fans. Based on that information along with comments at the recent Henson film festival we know The Muppet Holding Company (part of Disney) is working on season sets slatted for a 2005 release.

That is all we really know as of this point in time.

When people post here restating the same information that has been stated several times before in the beginning of the post and else where on the site, it sounds as if they have new information (especially if it is slightly different than the original information); when people post that the DVDs are coming out in a specific time frame as "news" it makes me wonder what their source is, if they are just making assumptions based on the same information we all know, or if they are just restating and interpreting the old news. Sorry if I came across rude in questioning, but I just want to make sure the facts, rumors, projections, and assumptions are kept straight.
  15. The Good Doctor

The Good Doctor New Member

DVD Sets

When people post here restating the same information that has been stated several times before in the beginning of the post and else where on the site, it sounds as if they have new information (especially if it is slightly different than the original information); when people post that the DVDs are coming out in a specific time frame as "news" it makes me wonder what their source is, if they are just making assumptions based on the same information we all know, or if they are just restating and interpreting the old news. Sorry if I came across rude in questioning, but I just want to make sure the facts, rumors, projections, and assumptions are kept straight.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%, I am a huge Muppet/ Henson Fan but unlike many of you I do not have the time to do all the research and get all my facts straight. As a recently new member her at Muppet Central I use this message board along with others to fill in the gaps in my Muppet Fact structure. So I think if we all work together to keep the facts straight it will be a benefit to us all. :)
  16. pollick529

pollick529 New Member

That is true, the name ITC no longer exists, but is now Carlton International. I don't know if ATV is around anymore! :confused:
  17. anathema

anathema Active Member

ATV ceased to exist on January 1st 1982. They're now called Central.
  18. Star matt

Star matt New Member

What about the other Henson property Disney owns, Dinosaurs? Any news about that?
  19. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

So, just wondering, is there any more news on these Box Sets? At all? Anything?
  20. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

If Disney is handling this, I'm assuming we won't get little tid bit insides like box art and cover design or anything like that? Just a tentative release date and then one day I'll be walking through the video store and see it and be like "Hey! No one told me this was here! When did it get here? What's the deal, man?" :grouchy: