Muppet Show Song Ideas?

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
"To **** With the Devil" by Stryper. I could just see one of the devil muppets from "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" skit getting stuffed into an abyss.

Hmm... I wonder what "To Asterisk With The Devil" is about? :smile:

By the way, if you're wondering about the song title, I totally meant that in the literal sense, so it's not cursing. Read Revelation 20:10. That's what the song is based on.

By the way, check out http://www.stryper.com if you want to read more about the band. I just got to see them live in concert a while back and they totally rock for Jesus!

"Rocking the world for You, Holy One! Rocking the world for You and Your Son!"
- "Rockin' the World" by Stryper

And the celebration of the birth of that Son, Jesus Christ, will be here soon on December 25th. (Or January 6th., if you're an Orthodox Christian. It doesn't matter... celebrate it every day of the year!)

That said, hope everyone had a happy and thankful Thanksgiving and hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

:attitude:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
"To **** With the Devil" by Stryper. I could just see one of the devil muppets from "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" skit getting stuffed into an abyss.
But it is good to know that we have some language censors on these boards.
:attitude:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
How about the Electric Mayhem singing "Y.M.C.A." by The Village People (or has that been done? please tell me if it has, I really like that song! )
(the tune, ok. I didn't know what the song was even about until many years after I'd heard it as a child- it's still good for roller skating parties!)
:big_grin: :sing: :flirt: :halo: :cool:
They never did "YMCA" on "The Muppet Show", but one of the classic numbers from the show was "In the Navy" as sung by Viking pigs as they pillaged a coastal village (opening number, Roger Moore episode, 1980).

If they had done "YMCA", I think they would've/should've set it in some sort of ironic setting, like the desert or Siberia, or some other place you wouldn't find a YMCA. Can anyone else think of a better setting idea? I'm stuck.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Got s'more!

Zoot Suit Riot: Sung/performed by the Muppet Swing Band. Members would include Zoot on sax, Lips on trumpet, Rowlf on piano, Animal on drums and Floyd on upright bass.

You Can Close Your Eyes (James Taylor): Sung by Kermit, possibly to Robin.

A Bird That Whistles (Joni Mitchell): Either Janice or Skeeter. I'm thinking of using Skeeter if I ever do another outline.

What's Goin' On (Recording Stars 2001 Version): This would be an all-cast performance, and by all-cast I mean all of the cast; there would be enough lines for just about everyone.

-Kim

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
How about "American Pie" by Don MacLean?

The original version of that song is somewhere close to 20 minutes long!!!!

I think we could successfully work in the entire Muppet cast with that one and give everyone at least 1 line!!!!

And a setting for Y.M.C.A.? couldn't it just be in a disco hall?
I guess the Muppets usually go in for more of an ironic setting, like "Gorgon Heap" said. a city dump? .... I don't know......... :confused:

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
A couple of songs by The Platters-

"The Great Pretender" featuring a male guest star with the Gills Brothers
"Harbor Lights"- same, perhaps outside a party, overlooking the dock/sea at night (yes, I'm a very visual thinker, although I can't form the symbols over my head like Kermit in the old days)

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
BlueAM said:
Up, Up, and Away: Sung by the Electric Mayhem in a hot air balloon. I know Rowlf played this on his piano in the Madeline Kahn episode, but they've done most songs more than once on TMS, so what the hey!
I used "Up, Up and Away" as the closing # in my Paul Lynde outline. Paul is a paratrooper commander with Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Crazy Harry and Luncheon Counter Monster as the paratroopers. The Electric Mayhem plays the song while the others sing, and Thog dances around in the airplane. One by one, Thog in his dancing accidentally nudges all the troops out of the plane, including Paul- who has no parachute!

SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT
You can find the outline here: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5419

P

Philip Kippel

How about these:

"Who Shot the Whole in My Sombrero" as sung by a Mexican male what-not

"Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" as sung by Marvin Suggs and the Muppaphones (I can just imagine the Muppaphones crying "Ow!" to the lyrics of that song)

"The Old Gray Mare" as sung by Jim, Jerry & Frank with Old Skyball Paint the Horse in drag

"Ta-Ra-Ra-Doom-De-Ay" performed by everybody

"Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar" performed by Dr. Teeth

"See 'Ya Later, Alligator" performed by Floyd and the crocodiles

"Joy to the World" as sung by everybody

And some Disney songs:

"The Bare Necessities" as sung by Fozzie, Bobo, Billy and other Muppet bears

"Yo Ho (A Pirate's Life For Me)" as sung by Polly Lobster, Clueless Morgan and Mad Monty

"In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room" as sung by the Muppet birds, flowers and Tiki masks and statues

"Grim Grinning Ghosts" as sung by the Muppet Ghosts

"Everybody Has a Laughing Place" performed by Fozzie and others

"Whistle While You Work" performed by some laboring what-nots

"Best of Friends" as sung by Zelda Rose's singing owl while Rover Joe and Catgut frolic in a forest

"Little April Showers" as sung by the Jug Band while sitting on a front porch watching the rain pour down

"A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" as sung by Robin

"Pretty Irish Girl" as sung by an Irish what-not

"I Wanna Be Like You" as sung by Quongo the Gorilla to a male what-not

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
Adding more suggestions to the list:

"We've Got Tonight": I can see this done as a duet (like Kenny Rogers did with Sheena Easton), performed by either Janice and Floyd, or Kermit or Rowlf with a female guest star.

"The City of New Orleans": Performed by the Electric Mayhem with Floyd on lead vocals, set in a boxcar with background scenery going by so that it looks like a moving train.

"Take Me or Leave Me": from the RENT soundtrack, originally performed by Maureen and Joanne. I can see this as a duet between Piggy and Kermit with Piggy trying to deliver an ultimatum to the frog about their relationship.

"I'll Cover You": also from RENT, originally performed by Collins and Angel. I included this in my Joni Mitchell outline, with Clifford and Skeeter performing it. I can also see Floyd and Janice covering the song.

"Vincent (Starry Starry Night)": For some weird reason I can see Gonzo doing this song, and doing it straight - no attempts to sing it while doing something impossible, no performing it on weird instruments. Just sitting on top of a stone wall (perhaps the one from the talk spots in season 1) against a starry background.

-Kim

P

Philip Kippel

Philip Kippel said:
How about these:

"Who Shot the Whole in My Sombrero" as sung by a Mexican male what-not
Correction: I meant "Who Shot the Hole in My Sombrero"