Muppets Are A Bad Influence

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Popeye had 4 nephews. In an earlier cartoon he only had 3.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I remembr Pepeye, Pipeye, and Poopeye (or whatever their names are). Those were in the earlier cartoons.

Lots of characters have nephews and nieces:
Donald Duck- Huey, Dewey and Louie
Daisy Duck- April, May, June
Mickey Mouse- Morty and Ferdie

Okay, so lots of Disney Characters have nephews and nieces..

Anyways, Zack, it was just called Little Shop, and it STUNK! I couldn't even watch it because it was too stylized for me, had they made it look more like the characters in the film, and Audrey II NOT had eyes, then I could have made it through the series. And if you're tired of your avatar, why not make a new one?

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
ahh yes so they were Popeye's nephews, well what about Sweet Pea?

"And if you're tired of your avatar, why not make a new one?"

Zack)Rowlf the,...Cause I don't know how?..boo hoo.. :sympathy: LOL,Dog.

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Popeye's other nephew is Pupeye. And Sweet Pea is Olive Oyl's cousin.
(Sweet Pea, Olive OIL. These people crack me up :rolleyes: )

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mr.Penguin said:
Hey Zack! Another baby show is coming. Baby Felix the Cat.

- :big_grin:
You're finding out about this...right now?

I knew this for at least 3 years.... Apparently, Baby Felix is or was Hot in Japan, and they decided to bring it over here.... for 3 years.

I found this out from the Felix the cat comics they have out now..

But there's another one...Pixar Babies... (hopefully this will never be a show if the Pixar brass has anything to say about it)

I was at the Disney store to look for Nemo merchandising, and they had Babyfied dolls of Woody, Buzz Lightyear (which looks approximately like the one in the Buzz Lightyear cartoon series, when Zurg cloned the rangers, and got impatient, thus the clones were too young), James P. "Sully" Sullivan, and Mike Wazowski (which, out of all of them is the only one I'd consider good... they gave him a beany and that one eyed Teddy monster he carried around)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Mr.Penguin said:
Popeye's other nephew is Pupeye. And Sweet Pea is Olive Oyl's cousin.
(Sweet Pea, Olive OIL. These people crack me up :rolleyes: )

I thought Swee' Pea was an orphan that Olive and Popeye found??

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I thought Swee' Pea was an orphan that Olive and Popeye found??
I thought Olive oil was his ant,

well anyways, I didn't know about baby Feix either, don't really care anyways, it's kinda something I don't want to know and rather keep up on the few shows that I would watch, there's hardly any TV shows I like now a days, well it's better to stay away from tv as much as you anyways I guess.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
http://www.popeyethesailor.com/club/opf9.htm

Is POPEYE in the Armed Services? "AN ARMED AVOCATION??"
(Is POPEYE Really Enlisted?)

I cannot recount the number of times that I have been asked about POPEYE's occupation?? Our Internet page has inquiries several times per week from folks (probably enlisted) who try to claim the Ol' Salt as one of them. Navy personnel insist that POPEYE is a fellow swabby. Coast Guard workers dictate that Segar's Sailor is a comrade 'Coastie'. I'm surprised the Army hasn't jumped on the bandwagon yet, but I won't be too bewildered if they do!!

Once again, here are the facts. Elzie Crisler Segar created a civilian seaman. The word 'sailor' does not necessarily mean that POPEYE has to represent the armed services. By definition, a sailor is a 'mariner' and/or a 'seafarer'. The sailor that Segar conceived was NOT a member of ANY military service. If you recall, the original POPEYE suited-up in denim pants and sported a yachting cap on his nobby noggin. Segar did not live long enough to experience WWII. Since he passed away in 1938, there is really no way to know how HE might have guided POPEYE through worldwide strife?? We can only speculate.

It was the cartoon makers that replaced POPEYE's 'civies' with military attire. In 1936, a military short was produced, but a seaman's career wasn't the subject. The cartoon was titled, "I'm In the Army Now", and featured POPEYE and BLUTO attempting to join the infantry.

In 1941, Fleischer Studios released the first in a series of 'wartime toons'. Their first attempt was titled, "The Mighty Navy". This cartoon promoted POPEYE in gob gear and contained a bit of history that you probably didn't know. Towards the conclusion of the film, POPEYE was presented with a portrait of himself. This image was used as the "official insignia of the Navy's bomber squadron". Ironically, the design displayed POPEYE in his original outfit - complete with yachting cap.

For the remainder of WWII and beyond, POPEYE and BLUTO were formidable foes in Uncle Sam's nautical branch of the service. POPEYE was allowed to retrieve his yachting cap in one film from 1942 titled, "A Hull of a Mess". Many of these cartoons have been removed from the airwaves, because they are not considered to be 'politically correct'. Some of the titles are even considered offensive - such as, "Scrap the Japs".

One aspect that I find particularly 'offensive' about this series was the introduction of POPEYE's pal -- 'SHORTY'. SHORTY was a shrimpy, bespectacled character - with an obnoxious voice and a personality to match. The cartoon makers must have presumed that the audiences were growing tired of BLUTO, so they concocted a character that was easily more despicable than BLUTO - with absolutely no exertion. SHORTY ranks as one of the all-time most obnoxious film creations - almost as vile as POPEYE's nephews - PIPEYE, PUPEYE, POOPEYE and PEEPEYE.

Fortunately for the world and POPEYE, the war didn't last forever. When peacetime returned, POPEYE's active duty was sidelined, but his Navy 'whites' remained. When the theatrical cartoons first aired on television in 1956, they were a huge success. When King Features commissioned 220 new cartoons in 1960, POPEYE - again - was left in his white costume. It wasn't until 1978, when 'The All New POPEYE Hour' debuted, that Segar's Sailor was allowed to return to his original apparel - with one exception. His yachting cap was still replaced by the traditional sailor's 'dixie cup'.

In conclusion: Sorry all you swabbys and swabettes, but E.C. Segar's 'POPEYE' will forever remain a civilian.....
Popeye the Sailor Fan Club Site:
http://www.popeyethesailor.com/club/main.htm

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Having just read this about Popeye's nephews, 2 in particular, POOPEYE and PEEPEYE, have you ever noticed how vile some of the shorter characters' names are?

Yogi Bear and Hokey Wolf had BooBoo and Dingaling, and there are others. I just thought I'd point that out, if you hadn't noticed. Aren't there others with dirty names? LOL!

FOZ

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
I ams what I am

Olive once said Sweet Pea was her cousin.(I saw it in a cartoon on
Boomerang) And for the enlisted Popeye we can sum it up like this:
POPEYE JOINED IN '42, STAYED FOR A WHILE AND LEFT. Oh and there
is something I'd like to say; I HATE SHORTY.

Shorty: :sing: ...My pal Popeye!!!
BLAAM!!!!!
Popeye: Oops, there goes his head...

- :smirk: