Muppets Are A Bad Influence

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Having just read this about Popeye's nephews, 2 in particular, POOPEYE and PEEPEYE, have you ever noticed how vile some of the shorter characters' names are?
Don't forget Pimpeye and Pope-eye

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
back about characters having nephews and nieces

well we can add Uncle Kermit and Robin to that list;-)oh as well as Scooby and Srappy.

then many characters as sons too
Sylvester and son
Auggie Daddy and Auggie Dogie
Goofy and Max as well as Pete and PJ

Oh and Tiny Toons is kind of in the cattagory, of course they were young teens and unlike a pup named scooby doo these were new WB caracters as not the son of Bugs or Bugs or himself as he was younger, there was no relation, I'm not downing they show though as it one of my favortie cartoons, hey they even did Baby Plucky cartoons!;-)

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Popeye's son was Jr in the show, "Popeye and Son". Unlike his father, Jr hated spinach. Bluto was married to Ol Oil's sister and had a son.

Oh yeah there is a good baby Popeye.

Popeye wasn't always a squint-eyed old salt and Olive Oyl didn't start out as a skinny (albeit glamorous) beanpole. Once upon a time, they were both cuddly babies who clearly showed signs of the superstars they would become. With their little pals, Brutus, Wimpy, Swee'Pea and Eugene the Jeep, they've already started the newest baby boom. King Features proudly announces the birth of a legend: Baby Popeye and Friends! This extension of the popular Popeye brand is already generating excitement among manufacturers with new product lines for newborns, infants and toddlers.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Well, we all DO love our Muppets. Whether we get lucky enough to catch a film of Sam and Friends in a museum, meet and greet them at bookstores, or see them on tv or in the movies, the Muppets have been known to entertain us and inspire us.

But, they can be inspiring while at the same time being a bad influence. What I'm discussing is the whole deal that happened in the 80's.

Everyone knows that I'm not a Muppet Babies fanatic, but I don't hate them. I like them when they can be considered a part of Piggy's Fantasy, which they WERE according to the film which debuted them, The Muppets Take Manhattan.

Entertaining and cute, that's what the Muppet Babies were, and they spawned a whole other franchise for the Jim Henson Company...and, unfortunately, a million other industries.

What I'm talking about here is the Looney Tunes Babies, Flintstones Kids, Yo Yogi, Tom and Jerry Kids, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Sesame Babies, and so forth.

It's amazing how one idea can just jump right out there and begin creating a plethora of similar ideas.

It's all as scary as the millions of "Blair Witch" parodies that came out, except in this case nobody is crying into the camera and saying they're "sorry," and they should!

So, my question is, of all the icky "baby" projects that came out, NOT including Muppet Babies but all those which came after Muppet Babies, did you like, dislike, or did you think the whole idea stunk altogether? Do you think the wave of baby projects would have happened anyhow?

Honestly, I didn't like ANY of them. Fred Flintstone's dad sounded and looked like he looked before he was a kid, except he had a mustache. Scooby and (it seemed) Shaggy sounded the same as kids as they did when they got older. It all just gets to me, and I plain didn't like ANY of it.

Also, what about Sesame Street Babies? Do you think they should off-shoot that into some pre-preschool program? Baby Big Bird running around after Baby Snuffy, Ernie and Bert in diapers, Baby Oscar. These characters came out as plush (except Snuffy) in the past, but what about a real show?

What do you think? Am I just being a baby about this?

FOZ
Those are good thoughts, Foz. I've noticed nobody cared much for "Looney Tunes Babies." I really did like "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" and I vaguely remember "Flinstone Kids." That one was pretty good. As for "Sesame Street," well since that show is aimed at children already and besides we also have "Play With Me Sesame." I think making a "Sesame Street Babies" show might be going a little too far. Just my opinion.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I think making a "Sesame Street Babies" show might be going a little too far. Just my opinion.
I agree! I don't think we should revert to "babies" programs when we already have the adults UNLESS it's something like in TMTM in Piggy's fantasy or if it is a prequel, which I'd like to stay away from those after KSY.

With their little pals, Brutus, Wimpy, Swee'Pea and Eugene the Jeep, they've already started the newest baby boom. King Features proudly announces the birth of a legend: Baby Popeye and Friends!
Here's part of that whole prequel/marketing blitz gone crazy!! As was said, Swee'Pea wouldn't have been born yet. Someone at King Features needs a good batting on the rear! :mad:

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
That was me. Also it should be baby Bluto. Brutus wasn't as important.
He came later. And he looks wierd.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
Those are good thoughts, Foz. I've noticed nobody cared much for "Looney Tunes Babies." I really did like "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" and I vaguely remember "Flinstone Kids." That one was pretty good. As for "Sesame Street," well since that show is aimed at children already and besides we also have "Play With Me Sesame." I think making a "Sesame Street Babies" show might be going a little too far. Just my opinion.

Sesame Babies ISNT a show... just a Merchandising ploy gone bad! Looney Tunes babies... well other than Daffy and Taz, the show SUCKS!!! It's uninterresting, bland and no where near as fresh, satirical, or clever as the Muppet Babies series was. They just stood there and talked... nothjing else...blehh

Pup named Scooby doo... I WILL defend that! It was pretty good. Plus it did send up the original series. But I like the What's New Scooby Doo show much better.

I have a Few Flintstone Kid's Comics... they're all right, but nothing to write home about...

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Zack, it's Doggie Daddy....I was just reading the thread and man is it GOOD! Thanks Fozzie! Make another one!

- :wink: