New Muppet Abby Cadabby heads to the Street

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You're thinking of Edith Anne, DTWolf.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
DTWolf said:
I listened to the NPR segment just now. . . . It seems to me the voice didn't stay the same through the whole interview. At times it sounded a bit like Lily Tomlin's little-girl character (I can't think of the name--the one who always said "And that's the truth! THBBBPT!") and then thirty seconds later the voice would be different. Sometimes high, sometimes deep. Maybe it was just an off day for her, or maybe she's still working out just how Abby will sound. Either way, the voice isn't nearly as "cutesy-wutesy" annoying as many shows would make it. So Ms. Carrara-Rudolph has my thanks for that.
i agree that she sounded better on the interview then the clip i saw on TV

the voice actress did seem nevious and jumpy she was intrupting the EP

MWoO

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Sorry, but I think I may have to disagree with you here.
Would you care to expand on that?

I think RobintheBrave has a very valid pint. When was the last time a new character was given this much exposure BEFORE they got on the show? The real stars just become stars. The classic characters of Sesame Street just became classic because they were good. They had solid performers. Now Abby's performer may be wonderful, or she may be the worst ever. Either way, she wasn't given the chance to evolve into a star player. She's just there. All over the news with a big push because of what? Did Zoe and Rosita go on a press tour when they got introduced? I don't think so. Even Elmo paid his dues for years before the tickle me elmo craze.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Approval

You know, I liked Abby.

Reading through the MC article about her I saw the danger that she would be obnoxious and they would be ramming her down our throats with a "You must adore me!" assault . . . but she herself is not like that at all. They--writers and muppeteer--made her so vulnerable (maybe that thing with the visible eyelids is working on me) that she had my sympathy and good will very quickly. I felt sorry for her meeting Oscar first and being told to get lost.

I don't know what the new season will hold for Abby--they might still overemphasize her and promote her too much (and I don't even mean merchandising)--but right now I'm on her side.

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
Haven't seen her and won't for awhile.
Reading what the news is saying about her.
She is either going to become more annoying than Elmo or flop big time.
They are tring to combat the "mean girl". (Are little girls going around teasing and beating up boys in the States?)

All the article seem to forget there are other girl characters on SS. Pairie Dawn is great in "Ernie and Bert's Word Play". Have they forgotten all about Rosita and Zoe? Can not sell these t-shirts and hair stuff?

I also wonder about all this sweet and cuteness. One thing about SS is that everyone was not sweet and cute.

BEAR

Reaction score
Cherrymoon said:
Haven't seen her and won't for awhile.
Reading what the news is saying about her.
She is either going to become more annoying than Elmo or flop big time.
They are tring to combat the "mean girl". (Are little girls going around teasing and beating up boys in the States?)

All the article seem to forget there are other girl characters on SS. Pairie Dawn is great in "Ernie and Bert's Word Play". Have they forgotten all about Rosita and Zoe? Can not sell these t-shirts and hair stuff?

I also wonder about all this sweet and cuteness. One thing about SS is that everyone was not sweet and cute.
Then what do you call Big Bird, Grover and Rosita. All of them are sweet/cute characters. Also, not to be rude, but why don't you actually SEE Abby before you make judgements about her. A lot of people around here seem to like her after actually getting to know her.

Cherrymoon

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Then what do you call Big Bird, Grover and Rosita. All of them are sweet/cute characters. Also, not to be rude, but why don't you actually SEE Abby before you make judgements about her. A lot of people around here seem to like her after actually getting to know her.
Calm down.
Most of my post is not on Abby, but on what others(the media) is saying about her. I will not get to see her for a long time seeing I do not live in the States anymore.
And I did not say that no one on SS is sweet and cute, but not all are.
I come from the 70's era. Think Oscar, Roosevelt Franklin, Bert, Sully, Biffy.
BTW I am a girl and I didn't have any problem with the all boy muppet cast as a kid.

BEAR

Reaction score
Cherrymoon said:
Calm down.
Most of my post is not on Abby, but on what others(the media) is saying about her. I will not get to see her for a long time seeing I do not live in the States anymore.
And I did not say that no one on SS is sweet and cute
Actually, you did...

One thing about SS is that everyone was not sweet and cute.
And all I am saying is don't decide that she is going to flop or be annoying like Elmo before you actually see her for yourself to make your own opinion. I am just giving you the tip not to just assume based on what a few people might say. Besides, if you are going by what the media is saying, I haven't heard one bad thing about her through the media yet. So please, no need to tell me to "calm down" I was just offering a friendly word of advice.